Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
MassArt Images

Default Comp too loose??

This is the last rejection reason that I thought I would get.

What would you do to fix? Less foreground? A wee-bit off the right?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...96&key=6413123

Play screener roulette? Because I believe if the re-edit is seen by a different screener another rejection is coming. Your thoughts?

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
RobJor

I think it is a funny rejection.??? I would almost think you made it up.

Anyway a little loss of detail in the shadows and half a pu truck but that is looking for something to say, I like it a lot. If anything just a tad less crop.??? not tighter.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Decapod401

I think that the screener did you a favor by not giving this a PAQ. If you are going for a pure close-up of the locomotive, then the composition is too loose, and the store across the street is a distraction. On the other hand, as a scene with the store in it, the locomotive is way too dominant in the image. If it was mine, I would back as far off on the cropping as possible, especially on the right and top. I don't think an earlier frame will help, as it will create dead space in the center of the image. JMHO.

Doug
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I think that the screener did you a favor by not giving this a PAQ. JMHO.
Doug
I submitted just for the fact that if you lived here and stood at the end of your front porch walk this would have been your view when 611 rolled past. Composition wise it is not good, but to show you the view from the end of the walkway, pretty sweet!

Tried an earlier frame with no luck either.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...47&key=8215581

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE

Last edited by MassArt Images; 06-10-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
Decapod401

[quote=MassArt Images;185239]I submitted just for the fact that if you lived here and stood at the end of your front porch walk this would have been your view when 611 rolled past. Composition wise it is not good, but to show you the view from the end of the walkway, pretty sweet!

{QUOTE]

You might have done better with the screeners if you showed the porch and walkway from further back instead of stating that you were standing on it.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
RobJor

The second does very little for me unless you like a pile of gravel and an old guy with a pony tail, now it were............. it might make it. Smile.

I like the first one as it shows the scale of machine next to every day objects.
The further back you move the more it becomes another 611 shot as opposed to one in a somewhat unique situation. Something a little different can't hurt too much, I mean one more???? as opposed to another drone shot, crowds of people waiting or a train in the valley.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
You might have done better with the screeners if you showed the porch and walkway from further back instead of stating that you were standing on it.
But that's not the view I wanted to show or else I would have asked the resident if I could stand on the porch after I cut down the tree that was in the front yard blocking the view..

Just trying to do something different from what is normally posted. I know when you get off the beaten path, go against the flow, ________ (insert your favorite cliché) you open yourself to rejection etc. I dislike getting trapped in composing all my shots so that they fit the "Rules of RP".

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE

Last edited by MassArt Images; 06-11-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 AM   #8
Mberry

If anything, the first rejection has a crop that is too tight, up top.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
If anything, the first rejection has a crop that is too tight, up top.
Yup - too tight up top, or, rather - way too much "extra" on the bottom.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Yup - too tight up top, or, rather - way too much "extra" on the bottom.

/Mitch
I agree as well. If you had pulled back a little (or snapped the shutter sooner, to give you more sky), it would have been okay. The store on the right is very essential to making this shot, so that's not a problem. If I had taken this one, I think I would have used the PS tool to bring out highlights in the shadow area (mostly the running gear on the right side of the engine).

I have no idea what a "loose" composition is. Is that a new rejection they've dreamed up? I've heard of loose women, but not loose image compositions. I learn new things every day...

Loose Ron
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #11
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I agree as well. If you had pulled back a little (or snapped the shutter sooner, to give you more sky), it would have been okay. The store on the right is very essential to making this shot, so that's not a problem. If I had taken this one, I think I would have used the PS tool to bring out highlights in the shadow area (mostly the running gear on the right side of the engine).

I have no idea what a "loose" composition is. Is that a new rejection they've dreamed up? I've heard of loose women, but not loose image compositions. I learn new things every day...

Loose Ron
Nice reply Ron. I got a good chuckle.

I think pushing the shutter sooner would have put to much dead space between 611 and the post office. I could crop some more off the bottom but then it might not be an acceptable RP proportion. I like how the 611 looks huge and the people on each side look so small. I tried using the highlights tool on the running gear to no avail. Oh well better luck next time. Chase Gunnoe was shooting from the house's balcony. I wonder what kind of shot he got.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 AM   #12
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
...Chase Gunnoe was shooting from the house's balcony. I wonder what kind of shot he got.
Chase probably got a good one, but he took the sun side, and you chose the dark side. I think you made the better choice in terms of composition and lighting. I don't know how many frames per second your camera shoots, but I would think if you machine-gunned it, a frame or two earlier would have worked. Again, I think you made a good composition choice.

Ron
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote