Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Bad Color

Well, I'm at it again. Every time I think I've got the color right, it gets rejected again for Bad Color. Here's the latest version --

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=995492&key=0

I've made a concerted effort to stay away from the Saturation as much as I can in processing. Kinda like Sam Malone staying away from beer. But various versions of this have had me work with the yellow, red and cyan sliders. What say ye?

Admittedly I've begun to doubt myself because of you guys commenting on my color.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
sd9

Is that a dead dog in the picture?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
CSX1702

It's gotta be the top of the sign on the right.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
magicman_841

I would try lowering the color temp a little. Perhaps those orange weeds are throwing the screeners off.

Also, you have two dust spots in the sky, right above the exhaust of the lead engine.

I also wouldn't be suprised if you got a foreground clutter rejection next (although I would disagree).
Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post

Also, you have two dust spots in the sky, right above the exhaust of the lead engine.

and a dead dog ...........
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
JimThias

Too orange/red. But on the bright side, no visible Martians in your shot.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Select the sky only, reduce saturation on the cyan and/or blue channel. Sky looks wacky to me anyway, I dont see any issues with the rest of it. COLOR WISE.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
wds

I see what others are saying about the dead grass looking too warm but what is bothering me is the yellow on those two lead units looks almost green to me. Then again this is coming from someone who has only ever seen 2 CSX units in real life, so take that with as many grains of salt as you may need!
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
lock4244

I dunno, the yellow on the 3rd and 4th units looks pretty good to me. Is the leader and 2nd just blessed with badly faded noses or attacked by someone with too much soap and water?

Two Notch sounds familiar? Is there a Red Roof Inn around there? Never saw a damned thing move on those tracks when I was there in 2007, but looked like some interesting photo ops.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
I see what others are saying about the dead
DOG? ........does anybody else see it
Old 12-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #11
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
He's not dead, he's just pining!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
I see it now. Interesting. Kinda looks like it's just laying down, I don't know.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Wait a minute, Hibachi and Sushi BUFFET?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 AM   #14
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
maybe a drop off point..
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
I see what others are saying about the dead grass looking too warm but what is bothering me is the yellow on those two lead units looks almost green to me.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I have sushi buffet for lunch about weekly. I go to a cafeteria-style place with a separate sushi bar, priced by the pound, quite reasonable, yummy.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #16
Joe the Photog

Still reworking it. I don't see a dog though. At full size, I see a black trash bag near the road, a white bag in the ditch and what looks to be another white bag nearby.

Mike, Two Notch sees four trains a day regularily, plus an odd reroute now and then and maybe the Lugoff switcher from time to time. Q493 and 494 are the only tewo regular daylight trains. Amtrak comes though after dark..... usually.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #17
Ron Flanary

Yes, the yellow/gold of the first two CSX units is really weird---sort of a green cast.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #18
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Still reworking it. I don't see a dog though. At full size, I see a black trash bag near the road, a white bag in the ditch and what looks to be another white bag nearby.

Mike, Two Notch sees four trains a day regularily, plus an odd reroute now and then and maybe the Lugoff switcher from time to time. Q493 and 494 are the only tewo regular daylight trains. Amtrak comes though after dark..... usually.
Oh, that is a trash bag. It really looks like a dog at first glance.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #19
Joe the Photog

You know, I should probably take a step back right now as I feel a meltdown coming on, some of it, but not all of it, because of the screening. Decided to go with another frame of that series where the train is closer to me. Submitted it and it got rejected for Sensor Dust. OK. Someone had said my other version had it as well. It's hard for me to see Sensor Dust as I share a computer with two 11 year olds who say they never touch the computer screen with their hands... although evidence says other wise.

So I work on the Sensor Dust and resubmitt only to get Bad Color again. So before I completely blow a hasket, I'm leaving these be for a little while. Maybe a few hours, maybe a few days. Who knows? Who cares?

Frankly, I'd love to see the screeners survice in TV news where there are often multiple deadlines each day, bosses giving you grieve and everyone rating how you shot each story. Not to mention five interns sitting in the corner waiting for someone to quit or get fired.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
You know, I should probably take a step back right now as I feel a meltdown coming on, some of it, but not all of it, because of the screening. Decided to go with another frame of that series where the train is closer to me. Submitted it and it got rejected for Sensor Dust. OK. Someone had said my other version had it as well. It's hard for me to see Sensor Dust as I share a computer with two 11 year olds who say they never touch the computer screen with their hands... although evidence says other wise.

So I work on the Sensor Dust and resubmitt only to get Bad Color again. So before I completely blow a hasket, I'm leaving these be for a little while. Maybe a few hours, maybe a few days. Who knows? Who cares?

Frankly, I'd love to see the screeners survice in TV news where there are often multiple deadlines each day, bosses giving you grieve and everyone rating how you shot each story. Not to mention five interns sitting in the corner waiting for someone to quit or get fired.
a) I do feel for you, really
b) There is a limit to my sympathy. You were told about the color issue, you should have taken more care with that. You were told in the forum about the sensor dust. I too have a dirty screen, albeit due to my own hands! no one to blame! and I have learned to jiggle my shots up and down and see what moves - sensor dust - and what does not - crumbs.
c) At least the TV news people get paid. To my knowledge, the screeners are volunteers.
d) Despite all that, I do feel for you, really. No fun to go through the screening cycle.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #21
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
c) At least the TV news people get paid. To my knowledge, the screeners are volunteers.
Could be wrong, but I think the screeners are compensated. RP is a business, and they do make money. None of them are getting rich off the site---but it apparently is worth their collective effort.

I'm not a screener (folks used to ask me if I was---but they're actually listed on the site now). Would I be if they paid me? No. And certainly no way I would do it as a volunteer. It's a thankless task.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #22
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Could be wrong, but I think the screeners are compensated. RP is a business, and they do make money. None of them are getting rich off the site---but it apparently is worth their collective effort.

I'm not a screener (folks used to ask me if I was---but they're actually listed on the site now). Would I be if they paid me? No. And certainly no way I would do it as a volunteer. It's a thankless task.
"RailPictures.Net is operated and maintained by an all-volunteer crew of railroad enthusiasts. These dedicated individuals combine to form a team featuring knowledge and expertise in almost all aspects of railroads, photography, web design, and programming."
- from the site info's "About Us" page. You're right it's a thankless task. So let's all take this opportunity to thank them! Oh sure I'll probably be bitchin' about them under my breath later this week, but for now, Thanks, Guys!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Frankly, I'd love to see the screeners survive in TV news where there are often multiple deadlines each day, bosses giving you grief and everyone rating how you shot each story. Not to mention five interns sitting in the corner waiting for someone to quit or get fired.
I'm a little confused...are you implying that they should accept your image because of what goes on in your day?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'm a little confused...are you implying that they should accept your image because of what goes on in your day?
You are confused, Jim. That's not what I saidat all. I never even said they should accept my images at all. I'm just getting frustrated in part by the screeners lately. It's not a big deal, but I think sometimes they are getting too nitpicky. My last two rejections are probably horrible examples for me to use. But the bridge shot from a few weeks ago with the NS tyrain crossing took seven times to get in, all for Bad Color. And I can barely notice a difference from the first rejection to the last one.

Then I get called out on this board about "Bad Color" in an accepted shot. The rejections from Bad Color actually started after that, but I'm sure it's a coincidence. Plus, little kids start e-mailing me telling me I could do it my color better. Yeah, I need that.

I'm not trying to start a big deal. I won't join anyone's Facebook page or anything. I'm not threatening to pull my shots. I'm just saying that a member who has been on this site since 2002 is getting frustrated with the screeners right now, right or wrong. Maybe they don't care, maybe they do.

Here are the main reasons

1.) I feel some rejections are nitpicky. It's a web site devoted to railroad photography, not a high brow art show in a big city somewhere.

2.) Last night I had a shot rejected for Sensor Dust. I cleaned the dust off and did nothing else to the shot and resubmitted. No morethan fifteen minutes after the first rejection, I get one for Bad Color. Same exact shot, minus the sensor dust.

3.) PEQs are fine; it's their site. But I think they should give a brief reason why they PEQ'ed it. Some shots get it for suspected trespassing, others not. There's too much wiggle room there. PEQ is way too subjective. Again, not talking about my specific shot, just the reason given.

Again, do what you want to with this. Make it about me. Tell me I'm wrong. I've been here almost since there was a here to speak of. Maybe that should carry some weight.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #25
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
2.) Last night I had a shot rejected for Sensor Dust. I cleaned the dust off and did nothing else to the shot and resubmitted. No morethan fifteen minutes after the first rejection, I get one for Bad Color. Same exact shot, minus the sensor dust.
This has ALWAYS been an issue. I find it particularly inconsiderate for a screener to reject for something like sensor dust or color or sharpness to then reject for something like cropping or foreground clutter immediately after, when nothing else in the shot changed. Those very issues existed in the initial shot. Is it too much to ask to have the screener check all boxes which apply the FIRST time, rather than waste OUR time as well as THEIR time with multiple submissions/rejections?

I dont know that it's getting worse, I had it happen at least twice in the past month, and I dont submit nearly as much as most of the rest of you.