Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #26
Dennis A. Livesey

I've been in Poughkeepsie, Scranton, and Moscow, PA recently.
I had never been to Springville before this summer but I went since my great-grandmother hailed from there.
You going to the big trestle in Letchworth?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #27
Freericks
Met Fan

My dad used to amaze people with his knowledge of towns. People would come to our house and mention some podunk nowhere town that they were from or that they had to go through to get somewhere else, and sure enough, my dad would not only know the town but have a story about when he had been through there himself.

Only now that I think about it do I realize he probably knew all of those backwoods crap-holes because he was railfanning there.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #28
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
My dad used to amaze people with his knowledge of towns. People would come to our house and mention some podunk nowhere town that they were from or that they had to go through to get somewhere else, and sure enough, my dad would not only know the town but have a story about when he had been through there himself.

Only now that I think about it do I realize he probably knew all of those backwoods crap-holes because he was railfanning there.
I do that all the time to people. They mention that they are going/went to some part of a state and I'll ask "what town?" More than likely, I'll have heard of the town or one nearby, which usually causes strange looks. I attribute it to railfan trips and my love of maps.

- Chris
/Needs to get back to some of those backwoods crap-holes soon.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #29
Mgoldman

Flint...? I think I've heard of that place - it's near Owosso, right?
or
I have a friend who lives in LA... might visit him next time I'm in Tehachappi.

The best is... you're visiting some friends out of state and while you're in the car driving with them, you say - "Turn down this dirt road, I know a short cut."

LOL

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #30
Mgoldman

Or even better...

Watching TV and you say aloud "There's no such place as Dante's Peak, that's Wallace, ID - see, there's where the Northern Pacific track ran...".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #31
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:

Charles, I think my son would say the same thing!

Back in the early 80's I was on a business trip to Denver. During a day off, my business partner and I got in the car to explore a bit.

He would describe one part of that day later as: "He told me he had never been there in his life. We are somewhere in the mountains. It's spectacular but to me, a New Yorker, one mountain looks just like the other. I'm driving, and Dennis said 'Pull off. Ok, ...get ready to stop...HERE!' We get out, look over the edge and there is the perfect view of something he called 'The Georgetown Loop.'"

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #32
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Thumbs up

Quote:

You're talkin' 'bout me, too. Been there or fifty miles from there. Fanning and workin' in the oilpatch, and my parents taking us on whirlwind vacations of 15-20 states at a time. Can't do the facebook app "Cities I've Visited"; the pins would fill up the map and it would take me months of updating....

My theme song; Hank Snow's "I've Been Everywhere". Been to all the places he named.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #33
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I've been in Poughkeepsie, Scranton, and Moscow, PA recently.
I had never been to Springville before this summer but I went since my great-grandmother hailed from there.
You going to the big trestle in Letchworth?
No, just a stop on the way to the WNYP.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #34
feiyue2p8

楼主的观点是值得顶贴的 支持
http://www.lotus-eater.net 传世私服
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #35
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiyue2p8 View Post
楼主的观点是值得顶贴的 支持 传世私服
I agree completely

点服值主的 a 的观贴的 with 观点是值
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #36
Drew.Sabens

Send a message via AIM to Drew.Sabens

I've been across the county twice, once from NY to Texas over 3 weeks the other NY to Cali and back over 4 weeks when I was a teen both time railfaning the whole way. I think the best line that was ever said during a trip was between me and 2 good friends (also rail fans)

Ross to the driver also drew "Drew Train"
Me "Exit ramp right"
Driver Drew "Hold on"
we chased a train off the highway, no maps before GPS and Drew got a call his mom asking him where we were. "We got off the highway to chase a train not sure the town but there are railroad tracks that good enough" I could hear his mom laughing on the other end.
Drew.Sabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #37
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

My two bosses think work is better then having a life, Most the time its best not to say to much about why I need time off as they have no understanding Of kid's or wife's or family time to do things. A common theme is you have all winter off LOL but if you ask a week ahead most times I can get a day off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote