Old 07-11-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Question That other RRPicture site

I found photos of my hometown on RRPicturearchives. I'm interested in contacting the photographer to see if she has anymore photos of Knox and the surrounding areas that she would mind sending me just for my own interest since Knox has very little photographic RR history on the net or in books/magazines. I'm not a member of the site, and don't see a "contact photographer" option. Is there a such option if you are a member?

Made y'all think this was going to be one of those disgruntled about RP posts, huh?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
EMTRailfan

Nevermind. Answered my own question. Originally asked because I remember someone saying in a thread a few weeks ago about it taking a few weeks to get accepted as a member there or something. Joined and accepted in the same breath.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
molinematt
Banned

That would be from my thread and that would mean you have better pics than I do.
molinematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by molinematt
That would be from my thread and that would mean you have better pics than I do.
It took me several months to get "accepted" there.

I think there are other issues at work than image quality when it comes to getting accepted.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

took me awhile too. second email got me in like flint.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
It took me several months to get "accepted" there.

I think there are other issues at work than image quality when it comes to getting accepted.
When they first started limiting memberships, it was based on how much coverage they already had in your area. I think they were having bandwidth issues and didn't want to saturate on the huge railfan hot spots (St. Louis, Chicago, etc.).
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
When they first started limiting memberships, it was based on how much coverage they already had in your area. I think they were having bandwidth issues and didn't want to saturate on the huge railfan hot spots (St. Louis, Chicago, etc.).
Yep, that's definitely the leading reason for the delays. I guess "he" finally realized that even though there are already several contributors from my area on there completely whoring out the Grand Rapids area, my locations are different enough to warrant a new membership.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Maybe instead of screening members for a particular area they should screen the overall content? Seems like there are so many photos that are just CRAP or not even rail related. If they are worried about bandwidth that would be a good place to start.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
EMTRailfan

I should clarify, I got my membership in the same breath. I just sent my 'sample shot to make sure I'm not a spammer' shot in this morning and am now waiting too.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I should clarify, I got my membership in the same breath. I just sent my 'sample shot to make sure I'm not a spammer' shot in this morning and am now waiting too.
If you got your membership in the same breath, what is it you are waiting for?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
EMTRailfan

I always just lurked there to find shots of my local area before. I actually saw a couple of historical shots from my home town, which made me want to contact the photog to ask if she had more since all that is left of the B&O/Knox and Kane RR in Knox is a few rails sticking out from under a few crossings, and the old B&O station and KKRR engine house. I tried to contact her, but rrpicts... didn't have a "Photog Contact" that I could find for non-members so I registered, and was immediately able to log in. The first time I logged in, it asked to submit a sample photo to make sure that I wasn't spam. I by-passed that cuz all I was interested in was contacting the photog. and did that (she replied already too). I just tried to submit my first photo yest. AM, and it again asked me to submit a sample photo to make sure that I wasn't spam. Did so, and now I'm waiting to get an email to see if I can contribute photos there or not. On the sample photo, it did not ask for any data, just a photo.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 07-17-2008 at 03:48 PM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I just tried to submit my first photo yest. AM, and it again asked me to submit a sample photo to make sure that I wasn't spam. Did so, and now I'm waiting to get an email to see if I can contribute photos there or not. On the sample photo, it did not ask for any data, just a photo.
Good luck on receiving that email...none have ever came to me (nor do I get emails about comments on my photos, even though I have that option selected). Once every week or so I'd try to log in, and it seemed to go on for months...and then one day it worked. Never got a confirmation email though.