Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #26
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

eh, it would be better with a fish.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #27
Moffat Road

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments about my photography (and also my brother Tomís work too). I really do appreciate it!

I look forward to sharing more of my stuff with you guys; Hopefully you wonít get too sick of looking at it . . .

Thanks again!

Mike Danneman
Moffat Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #28
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Thanks everyone for the nice compliments about my photography (and also my brother Tomís work too). I really do appreciate it!

I look forward to sharing more of my stuff with you guys; Hopefully you wonít get too sick of looking at it . . .

Thanks again!

Mike Danneman
We'll just keep it simple... You and Tom are both the new "Gods of RP."
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #29
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post

Thanks again!

Mike Danneman
Hopefully, you two do not run out any time soon!

There is a place they send photographers once they blown through a decade or two of their best stuff on RP. We sit, play cards and the nurses make sure we eat well. Then a therapist visits every Tuesday and teaches us how to venture out into the real world to take more pictures using the latest technology and brings us up to date on the latest fads. They say with good behavior, I may be out this week!

Great stuff - it's been a real pleasure having the opportunity to see the world through your lens.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Brothers and Nice guys Both Mike and Tom are pro's in the Rail magazine world and Mike has some books out. Mike maybe the best painter of rail paintings I seen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 05-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #31
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
"Danneman"

You got that right! For those who don't know, Mike Danneman used to be the art director for Trains Magazine. He "retired" several years ago and moved to Denver. He still freelances as an artist (one of the very best...ever!). I've known Mike for about 25 years or so, and he's talented beyond all imagination.

I don't know Tom nearly as well, but he's been the art director at Trains for several years now. Clearly, both of them are fantastic photographers.

Several years ago, Gary Dolzall and Mike did a couple of all-color books for Kalmbach: Steel Rails Across America, and The Spirit of Railroading. At their invitation, I was a contributing photographer to both efforts (I think they had about 25 to 30 additional photographers for both books, in addition to their own photography). It was during that time that I got to know Mike pretty well. More recently Mike did a self-published book on the Rio Grande tunnel motors at Helper, Utah titled Last of a Breed. He's also done some books on model railroad scenery.

So yes, Jim....Mike and Tom Danneman have really given RP a boost of late by digging out their slides. There's plenty more great material to come, by the way.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #32
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Several years ago, Gary Dolzall and Mike did a couple of all-color books for Kalmbach: Steel Rails Across America, and The Spirit of Railroading. At their invitation, I was a contributing photographer to both efforts (I think they had about 25 to 30 additional photographers for both books, in addition to their own photography).
I've been flipping through The Spirit of Railroading here for the last few weeks. It's a neat book with some great shooting. Sure was some nice variety back then that I missed out on. The book is at home and I am at work, but if memory serves me correctly, RP contributor and sometime forum participant George Hamlin has a few shots in there, too.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #33
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I've been flipping through The Spirit of Railroading here for the last few weeks...if memory serves me correctly, RP contributor and sometime forum participant George Hamlin has a few shots in there, too.
Correct. In fact, I think that's how George and I became acquainted.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #34
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
eh, it would be better with a fish.
Na with either a beaver or a SCUBA diver.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #35
sd9

Quote:
"Danneman"

And now Joe McMillan, he has uploaded some classics in the last few days, and made the The Top Photographer with the most views in past 7 days
Image © Joe McMillan
PhotoID: 399952
Photograph © Joe McMillan
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #36
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I was thinking the same thing. Incredible stuff.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
JimThias

Some people are born luckier than others. When I see photos like this, I'm convinced of that.

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 399470
Photograph © Mike Danneman

Wow.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #38
MDH

Quote:
Some people are born luckier than others. When I see photos like this, I'm convinced of that.

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 399470

Wow.
While luck no doubt plays a role, don't underestimate the roles of dedication & skill. Some of my best or most interesting shots involve the luck of just the right circumstances coming together but you have to be out there in the first place. Then you need the skill set to figure out how to capitalize on it and execute - something they both clearly do quite well! The more you're out shooting the more you can sometimes "make your own luck". One of my own favorite examples was an awful weather day when the sun dropped between clouds and horizon within a matter of minutes and a well timed eastbound enabled this shot:

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 342570
Photograph © Michael Harding

Obviously a huge amount of luck in the circumstances and getting a train at just the right time - but I never would have gotten the shot if I wasn't out there in the first place. His shot that you linked strikes me as being one of those times where you put together that knowledge & skill to figure out where you need to be and then capitalized on the set of circumstances to pull of a phenomenal shot.

In that regard I had to laugh at myself because last Monday night I had some free time but blew off going out in favor of getting some chores done because I didn't feel like fighting the mostly cloudy skies. That same evening and well within my "normal area" Aaron produced this beautiful screeners choice shot:

Image © Aaron J. Border
PhotoID: 399775
Photograph © Aaron J. Border

Clearly illustrating the rewards of being out there and trying! Doh! hah.

Regards,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!

Last edited by MDH; 06-11-2012 at 02:17 PM.
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #39
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

nobody gets "lucky" that many times.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #40
lock4244

We are lucky some of the truly great railroad photographers choose to share their images here. I won't waste internet by listing them since there are quite a few, but the daily submissions are peppered by some real neat stuff in between all the contemporary -9 and AC stuff.

Yes, I consider the older stuff great by virtue of it's age...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #41
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH View Post
While luck no doubt plays a role, don't underestimate the roles of dedication & skill. Some of my best or most interesting shots involve the luck of just the right circumstances coming together but you have to be out there in the first place. Then you need the skill set to figure out how to capitalize on it and execute - something they both clearly do quite well! The more you're out shooting the more you can sometimes "make your own luck". One of my own favorite examples was an awful weather day when the sun dropped between clouds and horizon within a matter of minutes and a well timed eastbound enabled this shot:

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 342570
Sorry, Michael, but the circumstances leading up to being in the exactly the right place and time to get your shot pale in comparison to that rainbow shot. Of course it takes skill to be a good photographer, which a lot of people can easily exhibit, but finding yourself in such a spot of extremely rare convergence to get a shot like that goes far beyond dedication and skill. Those guys must carry around a trunkload of rabbit feet!

Quote:
Obviously a huge amount of luck in the circumstances and getting a train at just the right time - but I never would have gotten the shot if I wasn't out there in the first place. His shot that you linked strikes me as being one of those times where you put together that knowledge & skill to figure out where you need to be and then capitalized on the set of circumstances to pull of a phenomenal shot.
I really doubt knowledge and skill let him plan on getting a shot of a train in perfect sunlight with a perfect FULL double rainbow arched over it in exactly the right place and time. Finding yourself in such a place goes well beyond that.

I've seen maybe 5 total full rainbows in my 45 years on this earth, and was lucky enough to photograph only one and in a crappy location. The odds of the scene he captured are incredible and can be looked at as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That man traded his soul with the devil or something!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 06-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #42
MDH

Quote:
Sorry, Michael, but the circumstances leading up to being in the exactly the right place and time to get your shot pale in comparison to that rainbow shot.
I don't know, that's the only time I've ever gotten that kind of sunset duckunder lighting on a train, period. Show me a ton of other shots in the DB with that kind of sky & glint? Glint shots alone are pretty easy and I have a variety of those but solid cloud cover with that kind of duckunder light isn't that common. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that when you read the comments on it.

Quote:
I really doubt knowledge and skill let him plan on getting a shot of a train in perfect sunlight with a perfect FULL double rainbow arched over it in exactly the right place and time. Finding yourself in such a place goes well beyond that.
That's because you can't really plan that sort of thing - but you can leverage your skill and knowledge to put yourself in the kind of position where that sort of thing might happen - or just be persistent enough to keep chasing until you find that break in the clouds and get the "once in a lifetime" matchup. Another local friend of mine also has a fantastic storm lit rainbow shot of a moving train out on a mainline no less (he doesn't contribute here although he's been published many times in books and magazines) and the "luck" of getting it was only possible due to his knowledge, skill and persistence in putting himself in the right place at the right time. Knowing the railroad, train schedules, etc. and watching the weather radar and putting yourself in the right place for the opportunity doesn't happen very often completely by accident. So did my other friend plan on a fantastic rainbow shot? No, he was just trying to salvage a "wasted" day of crappy weather and maybe get a nice storm lit shot but trying to get ahead of the storm finally paid off for him in a big way.

Yeah - I'm not denying the sheer luck of extraordinary conditions, but there's often a lot of skill involved and not just the technical skill around pressing the shutter but what led you to be there in the first place.

Michael

Last edited by MDH; 06-12-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #43
JimThias

Quote:
I don't know, that's the only time I've ever gotten that kind of sunset duckunder lighting on a train, period. Show me a ton of other shots in the DB with that kind of sky & glint? Glint shots alone are pretty easy and I have a variety of those but solid cloud cover with that kind of duckunder light isn't that common. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that when you read the comments on it.

That glint happens way more often than a train in perfect light in the perfect place under a perfect rainbow.

Quote:
That's because you can't really plan that sort of thing - but you can leverage your skill and knowledge to put yourself in the kind of position where that sort of thing might happen - or just be persistent enough to keep chasing until you find that break in the clouds and get the "once in a lifetime" matchup.
My whole point is, him capturing that type of shot has nothing to do with being a great photographer...or even photography at all for that matter. It goes way beyond that. The photography part of it was secondary. Just BEING there at the right moment in time, regardless if you're holding a camera in your hand...or a beer...the incredibly rare convergence happening there is something most people will never experience in a lifetime. How he was able to be in the right place at the right moment is amazing to me. Some people have a knack for being in the right place at the right time to experience such rarities...and he is definitely one of them. Luck? Who knows...but that explanation sure sounds good. I probably would have played the lottery if I had witnessed (and photographed) something like that.

Here's a popular photo from the 90s that I have a poster print of. What are the odds that the photographer was in that exact spot, pointing at a funnel cloud and just happened to have the shutter open to get a lightning bolt right next to it? This goes beyond photographic "skill." It's a special ability of witnessing rare convergence that some people mysteriously exhibit:

Last edited by JimThias; 06-12-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #44
MagnumForce

Skill 50%, Persistence 20%, Luck 10%, Gear 10%, Processing 10%
Old 06-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #45
MDH

Quote:
That glint happens way more often than a train in perfect light in the perfect place under a perfect rainbow.
Here's more rainbow shots:

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 393006
Photograph © Drew Mitchem

Image © Robert  W Jenkins
PhotoID: 361177
Photograph © Robert W Jenkins

Image © Cinderpath
PhotoID: 355378
Photograph © Cinderpath

Image © Tim Stevens
PhotoID: 329566
Photograph © Tim Stevens

Image © Patrick Schadowski
PhotoID: 324050
Photograph © Patrick Schadowski

And that's just a sampling using the keyword "rainbow".

Glint w/50% cloud cover:

Image © Joe Gartman
PhotoID: 387458
Photograph © Joe Gartman

Image © Todd M.
PhotoID: 375326
Photograph © Todd M.

Closest to the degree of cloud cover in mine:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And that's after not finding anything using keywords like "duckunder" and going through the last 100+ shots that came up with the keyword "glint".

Still think it's that common? Where are all the similar shots I'm not seeing?

Quote:
Some people have a knack for being in the right place at the right time to experience such rarities...
To my way of thinking, that "knack" equates to knowledge, skill and persistence...

There have been times I've thought "if I'd only thought to do that at the time, I could have had a really good picture" and over the years I'm now occasionally getting some of those shots thanks to the accumulated knowledge and skill - plus of course the luck factor.

Michael

But that's all just my opinion.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #46
stlgevo51

Luck, talent, a mix of both, or whatever, Mike seems to have it. More "lucky" shots:
Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 399918

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3983627...in/photostream
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #47
Mark T

Surely this "luck" you refer to also has a lot to do with determination and a lot of opportunity?

For example, most of us will work 5 days a week and have our railfanning limited to when we're not at work and when other factors (family, appointments, weather and traction / train running) all coincide to give us opportunity. However I'd take a wild guess that Mike Danneman at least (he seems to be more prolific) is able to dedicate more time to his photography and therefore, whilst the odds don't increase, his opportunity to play those odds is vastly increased. Yes, planning, intuition, expertise and luck all play their part but these are again enhanced by having time, so the more time you have to dedicate to this hobby, the better you're going to do.

Anyone seen the film The Big Year? That is about bird watching (and is not he greatest film of all time) but shows the kind of levels of dedication most of us exhibit for railfanning and also how external factors (time, money, relationships) affect that...

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
JimThias

Quote:
Here's more rainbow shots:
None of those compare to Mike's shot.

Quote:
Still think it's that common? Where are all the similar shots I'm not seeing?
The lack of photos doesn't mean it doesn't happen more often than a train witnessed in a perfect light with a perfect rainbow over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Skill 50%, Persistence 20%, Luck 10%, Gear 10%, Processing 10%
Quote:
To my way of thinking, that "knack" equates to knowledge, skill and persistence...
What is the "skill" that you guys refer to? Meteorology skill? You must have missed my point earlier. Him being in the exact spot at the exact time to witness that perfect scene has nothing to do with photography. Perhaps it's a skill, but it's not a photographic skill. The photographic skill involved with that shot was composing, exposing and physically pushing the shutter button, which was perfect as well. But BEING there involves something else entirely. Whatever that is, the Danneman's have "it" and I wish I could have it!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #49
MDH

Quote:
What is the "skill" that you guys refer to? Meteorology skill? You must have missed my point earlier. Him being in the exact spot at the exact time to witness that perfect scene has nothing to do with photography. Perhaps it's a skill, but it's not a photographic skill.
That's exactly my point - it is a skill and it's not a photographic skill in the narrow sense of composition & exposure but it can be just as important in achieving "great shots". People's train chasing and photography styles vary greatly but you notice how some people seem to be at the right place and right time far more often than others? Once or twice could be attributed to "luck" but consistently "being there" or "getting the great shot" has more to do with skill than luck.

That's my belief because I've seen it in action repeatedly. It's the ability to synthesize a large quantity of various types of information and make good decisions about time utilization. What's the weather forecast? What way are any fronts or cloud formations moving and at what speed? Do you know your way around and/or have good maps for the area you'll be in? Do you know the rail lines in the area including place names and or milepost locations? Have you scouted photo locations or potential ones? Do you have a good scanner with the appropriate channels programmed? Do you know the typical trains or operating patterns of the lines? Etc...

People with the skill & experience can put that all together on the fly to consistently place themselves in good spots for photos. Last 4th of July I spent the day with a friend of mine with that kind of skill and here's a small sampling of what that one day produced:

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 371072

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 368360

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 368362

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 367810

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 367812

Between the two separated mainlines and the branchline I doubt we missed much within a 50 mile radius that day and shot all the ones running in good light at good locations (not just grade crossing tree tunnels).

My point is that without that "skill" of figuring out where you need to be to create the opportunity for great shots the odds of getting great shots become a lot longer. I don't dissagree that he had exceptional luck in having everything come together for the rainbow shot but my point is he never would have been there to experience it in the first place without the various skills & knowledge that led him there.

Or to use your tornado & lightning shot - the odds of average Joe walking out his back door and shooting that are extremely small. The odds of a dedicated storm chaser / photographer who's always out there putting themselves in the right place and trying to get shots of the storm getting a shot like that are much higher. It still may be a once in a lifetime shot, but that's going to be the person who's more likely to get it because they're out there trying with the skill to put themselves in the right place at the right time to make it possible.

Michael

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #50
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Here's more rainbow shots
I'd just like to point out that the closest thing to a full rainbow (and not even a double) in that list is Tim Stevens', and he not only spends an inordinate amount of time there but lives close enough to the tracks that he could have run over from his house to shoot any stationary train
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote