Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
tim2002

Default No more open doors!!

This evening I had two perfectly lit photos rejected because the front door on the engine was wide open. I guess we will have to put the cameras away on hot days now too. Wonderful.

Normally when I get rejected for a ridiculous reason I'll appeal it and then that's the last of it. But this is just crazy!!

The first shot is of a CN GP40-2, one of only about 40 left. It was like 90 degrees out.

Has anybody else had this, or am I the only lucky one who got to have a good laugh tonight?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=568765827
Your appeal for photo id 564650 has been processed and has been rejected.
Admin Comments >> The open door is VERY distracting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=532437704
Your appeal for photo id 564647 has been processed and has been rejected.
Admin Comments >> The open door is VERY distracting.

Tim Stevens (Jasper, AB)
tim2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Northern Limits

I think you're the lucky one Tim. Maybe they just don't like your shots without mountains

The first one it may be a distraction, but I don't find the second one that bad. But then I'm used to seeing them run by like that.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
tim2002

There was no way this door was going to shut. If you look to the right of the unit, they've got it jammed open with a monkey wrench!

TDS
Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
tim2002

...and funnily enough, a shot accepted after the first two rejections has two engines with BOTH of their doors open!!

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=247681&nseq=3

Sheesh!

TDS
Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Photoshop it closed! But don't tell the screeners. At least then you won't be able to say anything about MY photos being manipulated!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
trainmaster_1

Tim, I'll give a shout out to all the CN crews out here and out west to have all locomotive doors closed for you when they see you out there shooting, plus I'll give my personal contact from CP a shout to have all train crews open their doors so Matthew Hicks won't get anymore head end CP shots on RP.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Now now Mike, you know I'm a screener favorite :P
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

If it's okay for a south of the border Yank to pipe in. There is quite a difference between a cab door and a nose door. I understand your frustration, because they are nice shots, but the open nose door is the first place your eye goes.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
tim2002

So are they going to go back and delete all of the other thousands of photos in the database that have doors open? It seems stupid to keep changing the 'rules' for uploading photos.

TDS
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Northern Limits

Well Tim, when you wake up this morning you can set your sights on more GEVOs and 8800s, then throw in a the tail end of the RMRR under Canadian super blue sky. So be sure to bring your polarizer.

Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 247676
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

Hey Matthew - I don't see any tourists on the road.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Peter MacCauley

Oh, no, I'll never get any more CN photos on RP!
It seems that CN runs everything in the area with the nose door open, apparently, it's their preferred method of "air conditioning". There was even a stretch last summer where every CN train i saw for nearly a month had the nose door open. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is, or how it could be 'distracting'.

Peter.

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
lock4244

I couldn't disagree more with rejecting a shot simply based on an open door. You can guarantee that had those locomotives been standard cab units with the cab door open, it wouldn't be an issue (as one of the linked shot proves). True that the overall shot would look better with the door closed, but this is a part of railroading, and infact underscores the human element or railroading.... especially when the units don't have AC. I can't see why they'd kick it for that. How about rejecting for paint peeling on the lead unit or locomotive it too dirty? How about rejecting a shot because a crewmember left their cooler on the walkway or has water chilling on the top of the nose? But hey, it's their site...

BTW Tim, you know the first one was rejected on account of that blown ditchlight, right?

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
JRMDC

Well, I haven't decided my view on open doors, but here is one view on what RP might be thinking.

It is well known that roster shots have to be near-perfect in terms of light and framing (and no poles out the top and such) to be accepted. Plain wedgie shots have to achieve a relatively high technical standard. Then, when the composition is more complex and interesting, the shot has to be technically sound but the light does not have to be perfect. It's a tradeoff, the better one dimension is, the less perfect another dimension is.

The first shot here is an ordinary near-nose-on shot without any background details of interest. The second is a common wedgie, without even a structure, signal/switchstand/trackside detail, or interesting foliage to liven it up. It may be that the screener is thinking of these as analogous to roster shots and wants the technical details to be at a more perfect level.

In both cases the doors are especially evident - the eye tends to go to them - because of the lighting and the color contrast. And the absence of details in the shot to attract the eye away from them.

The solution for getting CN shots on RP, should doors be an issue, is to take shots with more interesting compositions.

I don't know that I much care about the doors myself; I am speculating as to what might be going on.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
I couldn't disagree more with rejecting a shot simply based on an open door. You can guarantee that had those locomotives been standard cab units with the cab door open, it wouldn't be an issue (as one of the linked shot proves). True that the overall shot would look better with the door closed, but this is a part of railroading, and infact underscores the human element or railroading.... especially when the units don't have AC. I can't see why they'd kick it for that. How about rejecting for paint peeling on the lead unit or locomotive it too dirty? How about rejecting a shot because a crewmember left their cooler on the walkway or has water chilling on the top of the nose? But hey, it's their site...

BTW Tim, you know the first one was rejected on account of that blown ditchlight, right?

What's not to understand? The open nose door blocks a good portion of the nose with the ugly inside of a door. I would much rather see a nose than the inside of a stupid door.

"this is a part of railroading, and infact underscores the human element or railroading."
That's a poor excuse. You can justify basically any flaw in a photo if you claim it shows the human element, or a weather element, etc.

What it all comes down to is that RP wants photos that look good, and a nose door wide open does not look good.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
Ween

I think J's speculating might be on the right track. I can see how an open door on a roster shot can be viewed negatively. For a train rolling down the rails though, I'm a little more inclined to be leniant.

An open door is an eye-magnet in most cases, but so is a blue Conrail door on an orange BNSF unit...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Northern Limits

Yeah I think J prety much sums it up well.
But here is mine
Image © Jim Dorst
PhotoID: 246883
Photograph © Jim Dorst

Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

meh, as said, add interest, as with ANY RP shot

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 213332
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Not as good as Jim, but I hope you're getting the point
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
Yeah I think J prety much sums it up well.
But here is mine
Besides the fact that it is way tiny, yours, unlike the rejected shots, shows the side of the door that has the outside paint on it. The rejections show the distinctive and ugly inside part of the door.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #19
tim2002

I guess you have never shot in the prairies. It is flat, and boring.

TDS

"The first shot here is an ordinary near-nose-on shot without any background details of interest. The second is a common wedgie, without even a structure, signal/switchstand/trackside detail, or interesting foliage to liven it up. It may be that the screener is thinking of these as analogous to roster shots and wants the technical details to be at a more perfect level.

In both cases the doors are especially evident - the eye tends to go to them - because of the lighting and the color contrast. And the absence of details in the shot to attract the eye away from them.

The solution for getting CN shots on RP, should doors be an issue, is to take shots with more interesting compositions."
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2002

TDS
If there are no good shots to be had, then why are you trying?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #21
tim2002

Because I get sick and tired of shooting endless GEs and SD70 products on the mainline. The prairie branchlines are the place to go to shoot old GP40-2s and SD38-2s and SD40-2s. Sure, the scenery sucks, but I'm quite confident in saying that the power makes up for it.

TDS
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #22
Ween

Good power is a good reason to shoot...regardless of scene because you don't know how much longer it'll be around.

I enjoy your work, Tim, especially with all the scenery you include in your shots. But unless there's some really good power, leave the flatland shooting to those of us with no other choice!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
Mike B.
Banned

Judging by your shot of the 9527, I must disagree.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2002
I'm sure it is! Nonetheless, people do shoot in the prairies and get shots uploaded to RP. You do, for one!

Keep in mind that I was only offering an explanation of the rejection. I have not shot in the prairies and I am not claiming that I would have done better.

I do suggest, however, that you at least look around for something. A fence:
Image © Steve Arnot
PhotoID: 216293
Photograph © Steve Arnot

Even in your rejected shot, I see what looks to be a whistle post and a grade crossing in the background.

And of course, as you know, a bit of bridge (maybe a close-up on this, next time? Can you get closer? A vertical? just some thoughts)
Image © Tim Stevens
PhotoID: 240415
Photograph © Tim Stevens

And, of course, you had bad luck with the door, but you don't get doors every time either.
Image © Tim Stevens
PhotoID: 238328
Photograph © Tim Stevens

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
tim2002

Wow. Why is that? So you are telling me that if a train is stopped for over two hours because of congestion in the yard, you won't shoot it? This was the only angle I could get of the engine without it being covered in weeds.

Or, perhaps you are one of these people who only like brand new engines who are blind to the fact that in 5 years that is all you will be able to shoot, and you'll be wishing you could go find a boring shot of a very cool engine.

TDS