Old 05-04-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
BUFFIE

Default The High Sun Rejection is to me, as Bob Barker is to Happy Gilmore

I *HATE* that high sun rejection.

(Especially when the photo was taken before 10:00 am)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...88&key=3448689

The concept of not being able to post a photo taken between 10:00 am to 4:00pm escapes me.

BUFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #2
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFIE View Post
I *HATE* that high sun rejection.

(Especially when the photo was taken before 10:00 am)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...88&key=3448689

The concept of not being able to post a photo taken between 10:00 am to 4:00pm escapes me.

Well can always go out on a cloudy day. But seriously without sarcasm getting me in deeper, maybe if you just jacked up the Shadow/highlight control it would have worked. Just like some hair treatment, get rid of the grey.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 05-04-2018 at 01:51 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Joseph Cermak

I can see the point of high sun rejections when the lighting is especially harsh, but I don't see that here. The rejection seems to be based purely on the shadows being present...but I don't think the lighting is especially harsh.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

Looks like the light is actually too nosey, not too high. It's not bad light; but it's not great, either. That wide deck on the bridge isn't helping, as it throws a long, deep shadow over the plate girder portion of the bridge. I suspect that is what brought the rejection, and high sun was the closest description.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Needs a bit of "candyland". That seems to work like a charm for certain "high value" contributors I won't name here.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 05-04-2018 at 05:48 PM.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Grewup on the CW

I'd lighten up the shadows on the train and under the deck to take the rejection "high sun" out of play. Nice shot either way.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
BUFFIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Looks like the light is actually too nosey, not too high. It's not bad light; but it's not great, either. That wide deck on the bridge isn't helping, as it throws a long, deep shadow over the plate girder portion of the bridge. I suspect that is what brought the rejection, and high sun was the closest description.
Yes you are correct Shortlines - the engine is heading nose first into the sun. This side of the bridge is only illuminated in the early morning as the sun traverses to the opposite side in the afternoon.

The appeal failed so the screener still must not have liked the shadows or the shot in general.

Perhaps there will be another morning when there's no clouds obscuring the sun, when a southbound train train is scheduled to arrive between 7:30am and 9:00 am and when I get another weekend day pass and try to photo this spot.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
ShortlinesUSA

I hear you, BUFFIE. Shots I thought were awesome just a few years ago I wouldn't even dream of trying to submit now. I think if the screener was sitting right there next to us as we shot some move which you can only do at X hour in Y month, so therefore, it's very hard to get might bring some leeway, but alas, they are looking at what we submit without any of that context for at most a few seconds deciding whether or not to hit the big R...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
JimThias

High sun requires a higher vantage point. Let's see the well-lit top of the train!

Oh, and a CP filter takes off some of the high-sun harshness as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
I think if the screener was sitting right there next to us as we shot some move which you can only do at X hour in Y month, so therefore, it's very hard to get might bring some leeway, but alas, they are looking at what we submit without any of that context for at most a few seconds deciding whether or not to hit the big R...
Well, fortunately it's easy to get a shot of a common train in Larkspur in good lighting. Maybe that's what the screener is taking into consideration.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #10
BUFFIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
High sun requires a higher vantage point. Let's see the well-lit top of the train!

Oh, and a CP filter takes off some of the high-sun harshness as well.

Well, fortunately its fairly easy to get a shot of a common train in Larkspur in good lighting. Maybe that's what the screener is taking into consideration.
Yes I think you are right Jim. Most shots can be retaken to get better lighting.

I think I am my own worst enemy when I *THINK* the lighting is not bad enough to warrant a high sun. I'd be better off not thinking (says also my wife ) about whether its close enough.

case in point:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...95&key=9367107

Vertical shadows say high sun - but I still try to rationalize that it does not detract *that bad* from the photo.

I just need to stop submitting something that does not cast a side shadow of some sort.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 AM   #11
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFIE View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...95&key=9367107

Vertical shadows say high sun - but I still try to rationalize that it does not detract *that bad* from the photo.

I just need to stop submitting something that does not cast a side shadow of some sort.

Again, I think that's a decent shot and the lighting certainly isn't harsh like true high sun. IMO that rejection should be based on the the light being harsh in the shot, not just because the shadows are vertical...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
RobJor

It is an industrial switching shot with an end cab switcher shoving around a tight curve and I think an exception SHOULD be made, but rules are rules. As railfans, magazines and online we are too stuck on certain types of photos, lots of eye candy shots.

I like the close up view and the two crew members visible, one in the cab is kinda neat.
There is the diamond up close in the foreground and even a tiny reflection.
Visually I think of someone in an old dusty office, 10 second look, smacking a photo with the rejection stamp.

I only worked as a switchman in the way back on the Milwaukee without radios. There could be a ground man on the other side but of course we we would ride on the engineer side and on this curve like this I would be off the car and in sight of the engineer.

Anyway, scenes like this are becoming more rare so I hope you keep trying. It is frustrating.

one of my favorites, the visible side is in shade but I caught a break, I should dig out more but.....-

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 494769
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 05-15-2018 at 11:57 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #13
Joseph Cermak

Nothing like the summer months ruining the few afternoon westbounds we get in daylight on this line...oh well, enjoy for 7 days.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...73&key=7908999
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #14
abr

I guess 10:40 am in East Hampton, NY is too late to shoot one of the few weekend morning eastbound trains this time of year 🙁 http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...70&key=9598540
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr View Post
I guess 10:40 am in East Hampton, NY is too late to shoot one of the few weekend morning eastbound trains this time of year 🙁 http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...70&key=9598540
June light can be awful. That's why I started taking vacation in September rather than June.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
mersenne6

It's been my experience that, starting sometime in May and running through mid September, high sun in the east is essentially anything after 9:30 AM and before 4:00 PM.
It's one of the reasons I take a lot of pre-dawn and post- sunset shots. Of course, if it has been a hot day and I'm using a telephoto I still can't get acceptable post sunset results because of residual heat and the resulting heat distortion.
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:29 AM   #17
BUFFIE

Default Your right mersenne6

Your right mersenne6 - in the summer I only swing by the yards in the early am (before 9am) or after work (6pm)