Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Sean Mathews

Default *Accepted!!!* Need help getting this accepted

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!! Here is the accepted version 450858......

Bad Cropping (which I don't see), and backlit. I really want to get this one accepted because it's a Chessie. I took it this morning. Couldn't believe I saw it. Must be the last remaining Chessie paint job with B&O reporting marks.

Looking back at it now, the color is off I can tell. Using LR5. Any recommendations? After this was rejected I submitted as black and white. Honestly, it turned out really cool with the mist. I think it works better as B&W so we will see if that is accepted. Thanks all!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...68&key=7315204

B&W rejected. Backlit. Is it really that bad???

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...77&key=6572371

Last edited by Sean Mathews; 09-11-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Sean Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Mgoldman

It looks (almost) awesome to me, Sean.

I like the color much better - the train just pops - especially the Chessie. The black and white is a bit flat. The color is very rich and vibrant. I'd work on that one.

As for the "poor crop", having a subject centered vertically seems to be near instant rejection on RP. Crop it to put the train more to the bottom third of the image. Loose some to the left and bottom and I think you have a good shot at it.

Poor lighting seems more an issue of one screener then a broken rule. You could try to selectively brighten some of the darker areas - or use shadows and highlights to increase the brightness and detail in the shadow (and or overall picture).

Primarily - I'd try to get more detail out of the trucks and not worry so much about the nose at all. If that does not do the trick, appeal. If THAT does not do the trick, consider what I said above and just brighten the entire image with the "fill" tool or shadow recovery making the overall image brighter but don't go too far making it look flat and "like a painting".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
CSX1702

I don't know about the lighting. As nice as it looks, I don't think the screeners like it. If someone can help get it looking better, I have an idea for the crop.

I took some off on all sides and helped it fit the Rule of Thirds better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg co.jpg (476.8 KB, 369 views)

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Sean Mathews

Ok.... I have yet to submit this one, but I think with all of your help I might be on to something. I think this version looks pretty sublime.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Mgoldman

The second most often cited reason for "poor crop" on RP... is a crop that is top heavy or has too much "extra" on one side.

I'd crop a little tighter on the left so that I could crop more off the top.

Looks really good to me!

/Mitch
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Mgoldman

Might lighten the sky just a hair - closer to the first but not as bright. And then bring the contrast back to the trees - slightly. One method would be to burn the shadows slightly and dodge the midrange and highlights.

The rest looks PC'able.

/Mitch
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
JRMDC

Re the revision, you turned a blue sky into a dark, ominous one. Maybe back off on that a bit. I like the darkish/contrasty treatment. Definitely the color. Yes, a bit less sky. I guess I am agreeing with mitch a lot here, so I'll just encourage.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Sean Mathews

*Update* Submitted this photo below. Rejected. Bad color and they said it was unlevel this time. Back to the drawing board. Maybe more saturation?

All... excellent advice again. Ok... so here's another revision. Sky is less angry, boosted contrast in trees a tad, colors a tad brighter than last, and a bit off the left and top removed. Trying to hit that number 25. For some reason, I feel this is the best photo I have taken, if I can get it to work. Maybe it's just because of the Chessie engine. I wish I had more time to set up, but this was literally a stroke of luck as I had stopped at McDonalds for breakfast in the next town over which delayed me enough to see this train ramble by. Probably the only one of the day on the rickety branch line.

Last edited by Sean Mathews; 09-11-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
n70guy

Your edited version (in my opinion) is a great photo, regardless of any nitpicks from the screeners. Nice shot Sean. Of course, my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's....
n70guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
JimThias

Unlevel was the first thing I noticed with the first rejection. I'm not sure why they didn't just nail you for that then.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Unlevel was the first thing I noticed with the first rejection. I'm not sure why they didn't just nail you for that then.
Pffft..... How do you walk a straight line in this world?

Sean - this is bordering the nit picking that Chris says does not exist on this site. Sometimes that's not a bad thing if the photographer is motivated enough to make his or her photo worthy
of consideration for the next National Geographic or Time magazine cover. Or, if perhaps Chris would take my advice and reject with the comment - keep at it, we'd really like to accept this one.

So - as for unlevel - I will *guess* perhaps a pubic hair or two CCW.

As for color - Auto any and everything in Photoshop leaves the image unchanged except "auto color" but that makes the image warmer and in my opinion adds to much hazy yellow.

However - if you go to "Levels" and you'll see it's near perfect... but then go to "Options" and it will bring up "Auto Color Options" at which point you can
go shadows clip and change from default of .10 and change to 1 and highlights clip and also change to 1% vs .1. I often change those values - they assure you have at least somewhere
in your image -maximum blacks and whites. The hazeyness went away completely and the image became sharper and a little less green.

Then, if RP does not accept it, I'd send it to both Time and NatGeo for a possible center spread. Or, you can walk, like many other fine ex-RP'rs whose work must be viewed elsewhere - like
TRAINS and Railroads Illustrated.. or FB. I hope instead you endure what seems to be the road to perfection which this screener has chosen to somewhat exclusively steer you onto.

Good luck - PC in it if you get it on.

/Mitch

PS - I rotated it .01 CCW and that looked crooked.
In other words, looks good to me as is.
The verticals on the centered Chessie cab look PERFECT.

Maybe Jim can chime in on which blades of grass were not
perpendicular to the ground?

Name:  Sean Chessie MG RP.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  351.6 KB

Last edited by Mgoldman; 09-11-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I think they just don't want it as someone will bitch that a backlit one got by them. Just the way it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Pffft..... How do you walk a straight line in this world?
To my eyes, there is a strange visual tension being created by the leaning train. Once I got past that, I noticed the structure in the background leaning badly to the right, consistent with the way the train is leaning.

That tension is the same thing I experience when I see a picture frame hanging unlevel on a wall. It gives me an irritable twitch.

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

There is also a lot of sensor dust spots in the sky visible in Mitch's version.

Chris
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

the only thing wrong initially was unlevel. that would make a great calendar shot.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

I guess I'm special, because I can see how unlevel the shot is (and don't give me that center of the frame BS. We take a full frame, make sure the frame is correct throughout!) Not to mention the center of the frame here isn't level, either . That would be the only correction I'd make to it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 09-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
Sean Mathews

Still working on it, and again taking all the suggestions to heart and working on it.

The sensor spots show up the more it is processed, so they are like little fires that sprout up and I put out. I have one in the pipeline right now. Ill see what they say and go from there.

Not giving up. I mean, for historical and archival purposes.... IT'S CHESSIE. I mean this is the heritage of all heritage engines. I thought they no longer existed.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I guess I'm special, because I can see how unlevel the shot is (and don't give me that center of the frame BS. We take a full frame, make sure the frame is correct throughout!) Not to mention the center of the frame here isn't level, either . That would be the only correction I'd make to it.

Loyd L.

So you and Jim would CCW tip it to level out the center blog of what might be a structure? At 0.2 degrees CCW I had to hold onto my pens on the desk to keep them from rolling off. The train looked like it was going downhill and leaning on the inner wheels - not to mention the vertical tree in the right rear looking like it was about to fall. At .1 degree CCW, I felt the tension Jim mentioned - still seemed off. Left as is, seemed best bet to me.

Are we talking about a CCW correction in the neighborhood of 0.01 to a whole tenth of a degree? Or do we simply advise Sean to fix the lean of a leaning structure in the center as all else looks good to me.

/Mitch
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
tytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mathews View Post
Not giving up. I mean, for historical and archival purposes.... IT'S CHESSIE. I mean this is the heritage of all heritage engines. I thought they no longer existed.
I think that technically this engine has been restored/repainted (based on RRPA photos) - it's part of the Potomac Eagle Scenic Railway, which runs on South Branch tracks, and your photo confirms it's used in freight service as well. Which is pretty darn cool. (this was all from quick googling so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The Chesapeake & Indiana RR in Indiana also has a Chessie engine in active freight service. I made a trip to Malden just to see the engine, where it's normally parked in full view next to a grain elevator. That day, they'd parked it behind tons of trees a town over in La Crosse. I still took a "bigfoot" style picture of it, as like you I was elated to see Chessie in person on a freight RR. Congrats on the find and amazing photo!

Anyone know of any others?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytrain View Post
I think that technically this engine has been restored/repainted (based on RRPA photos) - it's part of the Potomac Eagle Scenic Railway, which runs on South Branch tracks, and your photo confirms it's used in freight service as well. Which is pretty darn cool. (this was all from quick googling so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The Chesapeake & Indiana RR in Indiana also has a Chessie engine in active freight service. I made a trip to Malden just to see the engine, where it's normally parked in full view next to a grain elevator. That day, they'd parked it behind tons of trees a town over in La Crosse. I still took a "bigfoot" style picture of it, as like you I was elated to see Chessie in person on a freight RR. Congrats on the find and amazing photo!

Anyone know of any others?
Bigfoot. I like that. I did see something regarding this engine as a scenic special back in 2006. But like you said, being in revenue freight service indeed is pretty darn cool. I am happy everyone likes the photo. As I said, not going to give up on it. It will get in.....
Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
So you and Jim would CCW tip it to level out the center blog of what might be a structure? At 0.2 degrees CCW I had to hold onto my pens on the desk to keep them from rolling off. The train looked like it was going downhill and leaning on the inner wheels - not to mention the vertical tree in the right rear looking like it was about to fall. At .1 degree CCW, I felt the tension Jim mentioned - still seemed off. Left as is, seemed best bet to me.

Are we talking about a CCW correction in the neighborhood of 0.01 to a whole tenth of a degree? Or do we simply advise Sean to fix the lean of a leaning structure in the center as all else looks good to me.

/Mitch
Turning the entire image one way or the other is not the only way to level it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

I dont know if you shot this raw or jpeg, but the sky is ugly. Really "jpeg gradient" ugly, especially in the upper right. The lighting is not "typical RP", of course it is backlit, but in this instance it adds to the photo IMHO. I think the shot can, probably should get on, with a little work.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Sean Mathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I dont know if you shot this raw or jpeg, but the sky is ugly. Really "jpeg gradient" ugly, especially in the upper right. The lighting is not "typical RP", of course it is backlit, but in this instance it adds to the photo IMHO. I think the shot can, probably should get on, with a little work.
It was shot in raw. Again, these are technical challenges from the angle of the sun. And every time I reprocess to the screeners comments, It degrades. The most recent photo I have in the queue has been started over, so the sky should be a little better. I will go from there.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Mr. Pick

I love it! Hope it gets in, but if not, hope you put it on flickr where I can favorite it there and enjoy it again.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Turning the entire image one way or the other is not the only way to level it.

Loyd L.
I know that - but in this instance, it does not appear to be perspective and to that end, I'd say it's beyond nit picking.

/Mitch