Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #76
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Maybe its because I grew up around a business that was predominately old railroaders, but ever since I started when was 13, if I f***ed up, I would get my ass reamed and everyone would hear about it. Yeah, it stung, but I never made that same mistake again, thats for damn sure! I learned that instead of trying to cover up something, or trying to ignore it, instead its better to ask for help when I was in over my head, or to just come clean and admit I f***ed up. I think society coddles kids/people too much these days. Sometimes people need someone to shout at them, to take them out of their element, to make a spectacle, before they will really learn. Everyone needs to take their lumps and not be a baby about it.

More to the point. I don't think they screwed up. I think screwing up is when you make a mistake. This was not a mistake. He knew it was against the rules, and did it numerous times, and blatantly lied about it, while criticizing others for breaking other RP rules.

A mistake would be accidentally mis-labeling a cars mileage in an ad.
What Daniel did would be like re-winding the odometer to LOOK like it had less miles, then selling it for higher.
Just to clear up any confusion -- I'm not following in Charles' footsteps, but I do agree with what you say Max. That is exactly how my father has the rules set in my house; and truthfully, its done me well. How you put it is the way things should ( truthfully ) be done. Though the way they have been bashed doesn't quite follow with how it should be done as you say. Which, of course is out of your control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Actually, I don't disagree with you, Max. And that was done, quite a few posts back.

I just disagree with the continuation of piling on...

PS - Ian, yes, get ready to be flamed. It's much easier to deal with when you know it's coming.
Thanks for the head start on that Charles.

Last edited by IHapsias; 12-29-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Typing error.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #77
Ween

I don't begrudge Ian's view at all. In fact, my first encounter with Ian was when he was a vocal Rat supporter. Since then, he's done things to redeem himself and his rep (at least in my eyes, for what that's worth), so his point about "one mistake" is more than legit.

Also, to clarify, when The Rat was going after Chase or Wayne (or anybody, for that matter) it was without cause. In this case, there was cause to fling poo and pile on. Not sure if you were making a comparison of The Rat and me, Charles, but aside from older vs. younger, I just wanted to point out the difference in motive...
Old 12-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #78
coborn35

Quote:
Actually, I don't disagree with you, Max. And that was done, quite a few posts back.

I just disagree with the continuation of piling on...

PS - Ian, yes, get ready to be flamed. It's much easier to deal with when you know it's coming.
Fair enough Charles. On my end, I will just sit back and see what becomes of all this.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #79
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Also, to clarify, when The Rat was going after Chase or Wayne (or anybody, for that matter) it was without cause. In this case, there was cause to fling poo and pile on. Not sure if you were making a comparison of The Rat and me, Charles, but aside from older vs. younger, I just wanted to point out the difference in motive...
I'm not comparing you to the Rat, Chris... and you're right about the difference in motive. I thought your post at that time was a stand up thing to do.

Maybe one has to be a father to really get the difference between talking to someone under 15 and someone older than that.

I believe with all my heart that the rules are different (and I am not suggesting coddling or dismissing or excusing mistakes and errors in any way).
Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 AM   #80
IHapsias

Quote:
I don't begrudge Ian's view at all. In fact, my first encounter with Ian was when he was a vocal Rat supporter. Since then, he's done things to redeem himself and his rep (at least in my eyes, for what that's worth), so his point about "one mistake" is more than legit..
Tis true, and it came back and royally bit me in my ass when I first came to railpictures. Thankfully, I was smart enough by then to keep my usually hothead mouth shut and just deal with it.. With some side rants to personal friends just to blow off steam and move on.

That one mistake I made.. Boy.. Not going to lie, but man.. that was a big **** up on my part. An important lesson in life: don't be gullible.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #81
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Heh, the internet is serious business.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #82
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
As for Daniel and Sean...I'm surprised there wasn't any sort of, "Hey, sorry everyone...we royally screwed up."
That's because of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I love how Daniel just keeps posting after being busted for violating one of RP's biggest rules several times.
Anyway,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post
...that resulted in his MOTHER emailing a few of the posters on here... ....Maybe someone should E-mail their mothers and tattle tale on this discovery...
This is untrue. This was my railfan friend. If I remember, you hardly participaited in thread.

I think that was an extremly unnecesary post, however.

Quote:
You know what... some kids screwed up... those of you who are adults don't need to keep calling them out in public.
I realized you're not defending me, but I would agree.

Quote:
Sorry Chris... I see it differently...

Should they have faked the snow? Of course not... it was a really cynical and ugly thing to do
Should they have come clean immediately and apologized... yes, absolutely, we agree about this.

Are they young kids who are now watching themselves being tarred and feathered on a public forum? You bet'cha.

Is that a moral and ethical thing for an adult to do? I'll leave that up to you.

Sure, I can and would love to say

SORRY!

But, with expiriences with this group of people and other groups where I'm the odd one out, saying sorry is simply not enough, so to speak, and therefore just not worth my time. I know that sounds harsh, since I would have to be the one trying to fix things for myself, but I just have no other way to put it.

Last edited by Soo 6060; 12-29-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #83
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Damn you, Chris... As much as I hate the piling on... this is one of the best posts I've ever seen.
Coming from a true Jets fan!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #84
Joe the Photog

Charles;

I was starting to agree with you until Daniel's post above. I'm not a fan of the "Sorry if I offended you" unapologies, but he clearly screwed up and instead of coming clean, for a few days, he ignored the situation. In my view, he was clled out for this more than the actual fake snow. Now comes this "I know it sounds harsh" thread where it's clear he's not repentant. I've told my children that there are always consequences to your actions and the best thing to do is always tell the truth. I guess in this case the consequences include being verbally kicked around. We all make mistakes. We all have done things wrong. I could fill up a book with the dumb choices I made back in the day (including but not limited to wearing acid washed jeans.) Maybe this is part of the learning curve forthese guys.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #85
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
Sure, I can and would love to say

SORRY!

But, with expiriences with this group of people and other groups where I'm the odd one out, saying sorry is simply not enough, so to speak, and therefore just not worth my time. I know that sounds harsh, since I would have to be the one trying to fix things for myself, but I just have no other way to put it.
This is just plain weird. Well, that is the wrong word. Not sure what the right word is.

But one doesn't make the calculation of whether or not to apologize based on whether it is "worth my time." You may not like the result of the apology, you may not like the way in which it is or is not accepted. You do it anyway, because it is the right thing to do.

I suggest you a) apologize, and b) ask admin to pull all your pictures that have fake snow and so do not meet the guidelines (formally stated or not) of RP. I suppose the apology is owed to admin, it is their site whose rules you have broken. Not sure if you need to apologize in the forum; frankly, I have not kept track and I have no idea what you may or may not have written in the forum that requires an apology.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 12-29-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #86
Ween

Hey, Charles...whaddya think now?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #87
lock4244

Late to the party... my $0.02

I hope that the ban-hammer swings for these two. If not, there is a credibility issue here (at RP). Faking snowflakes? Bye-bye...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 12-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #88
lock4244

Either that or please RP, accept this shot... I would like a TO24 please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MWL_1397-1.jpg (343.0 KB, 168 views)

More Pics Here
Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #89
troy12n
Banned

Godzilla deserves the trifecta
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #90
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I suggest you a) apologize, and b) ask admin to pull all your pictures that have fake snow and so do not meet the guidelines (formally stated or not) of RP.
Good plan. Not sure what everyone else thinks of it (who I am kidding, everyone wants me banned!) but, yes.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #91
Freericks
Met Fan

Chris - No it doesn't because my post was never to defend anyone.

Joe - I've told my kids the same, and I am extremely harsh in meting out the punishment when I do catch them fudging the truth. I also wore acid wash jeans and was damn proud of them at the time.

Daniel - You're right, I was never defending you. Honestly, this was not about you and your buddy per se... but that being said, as I think you were trying to take my advice, let me take a moment now to actually give you some. You may do with it what you may.

1) When you are wrong, don't be defensive. It indicates you are insincere about everything else you say and it challenges those who have discovered the actual truth. The truth is the truth.

2) You are living in a much more hyperconnected and transparent world than I grew up in. It's going to be near to impossible to get away with falsehoods of any kind in the future. Learn this now and adapt to it by being brutally honest in all you do.

3) Dishonesty, even in a less transparent time, is way too much work. When you're blatantly honest, you don't have to go around each day trying to remember what you told everyone.

4) Increasing the font size to state something indicates to others that you are screaming at them.... impugning whatever you are saying.

5) Write the site owners yourself, immediately, and ask them to remove the pictures with faked elements to them. This will probably not save you from further consequences, probably including loss of membership priviliges, but it's the right thing to do, and that's a great start. When you think back on this five years from now, you'll know you took a correct step.

All right... I think I've spent way too much time on this... I stand by my first post, verbatim, but I also want to be very clear that I wasn't calling any particular person out. When I said piling on, that's what I meant... the tonnage issue is what raised my hackles.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #92
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
Either that or please RP, accept this shot... I would like a TO24 please.
If you had found a female Godzilla, it might have worked.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #93
crazytiger

If either of you don't want your tails kicked by the admin, I think you should do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
a) apologize, and b) ask admin to pull all your pictures that have fake snow and so do not meet the guidelines (formally stated or not) of RP. I suppose the apology is owed to admin, it is their site whose rules you have broken. Not sure if you need to apologize in the forum; frankly, I have not kept track and I have no idea what you may or may not have written in the forum that requires an apology.

PFL
Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #94
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
If either of you don't want your tails kicked by the admin, I think you should do this...
I think what freericks is saying is pretty accurate. They could have used some of this...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #95
cblaz

Quote:
Uh oh, the forum police are here. Better do as you're told.

- Chris

Last edited by cblaz; 12-30-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #96
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

Wow. I just read through this whole thread and I am amazed that these pictures actually got on. I think as was stated earlier all the photos that have the add elements should be removed.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #97
IHapsias

They need to make a "Ban Button"!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #98
crazytiger

Try this. ([strike]Zoom pan, ftw[/strike] Photoshop, ftw)

PFL

Last edited by crazytiger; 12-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #99
IHapsias

Quote:
Try this. (Zoom pan, ftw)

A zoom pan of a finger pressing the ban button? PCA! PCA!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #100
lock4244

Quote:
If you had found a female Godzilla, it might have worked.
Edited and resubmitted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MWL_1397-lady-G.jpg (356.9 KB, 166 views)

More Pics Here
Closed Thread