Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan
Default This can't be right, can it?

These pictures got rejected for totally bogous reasons! Look at them!
http://www.railpictures.net/members/...d=426059&key=0

and

http://www.railpictures.net/members/...&key=968407972

What are your opinions. I appealed both of them, and both of them got rejected again!
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Railfan
These pictures got rejected for totally bogous reasons! Look at them!
http://www.railpictures.net/members/...d=426059&key=0

and

http://www.railpictures.net/members/...&key=968407972

What are your opinions. I appealed both of them, and both of them got rejected again!
I agree with both rejections. I don't get it that you seem upset. They both look like they could be accepted by simple fixes.
#1 Looks liike you need a slight CCW rotation and #2 just needs some of the left cropped off and they should get in.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
M.L.Gabert

[quote=Chicago Railfan

What are your opinions.QUOTE]

Well the first seems tilted to the right, and the second seems blurry to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8375_JPG_62819.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	2199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8364_JPG_60850.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	2200  
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
These pictures got rejected for totally bogous reasons!
While you have some pictures uploaded here, you haven't been doing the RP thing long enough to think like this. While the screeners occasionally make mistakes, when you receive rejections, the first thing you should do is to try to figure out the screener's point of view. One you are past that, the second thing you should to is to figure out the screener's point of view. As a third step, try to figure out the screener's point of view.

So here, spend a bit more time looking for bad rotation (and then you might find it) and spend some time looking for, well, in this case, lots of dead area that doesn't contribute. (Unlike warren, I think the bottom needs cropping also.)

And then, only then, can you think about whether something is "bogus."

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Khalua10

I agree with M.L. Gabert that the second one with the BNSF locomotive seems blurry.
Khalua10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
bigbassloyd

There's times that you get so worked up about getting a shot, and running to submit it, you miss things. You missed things. The first shot is easy enough to fix, and the second shot might pose a bit of an issue once you re-crop it, since I do think its blurry as well.

Good Luck, and never stop learning!

Loyd L. <- formerly the king of rejections, now just a prince!

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

CR;

I can't tell if you're just upset that your shots get rejected or if you're just a few steps away from thinking there's some vast conspiracy as to where your totally one hundred percent well executed shots are being rejected for "bogus" reasons. Either you'll take a step back and realize they're not bogus or you'll go ahead adn think the screeners for some reason just don't your shots in the database.

#1 -- Unlevel horizion is the easiest rejection to fix. Just rotate the shot.

#2 -- Bad cropping, yes. Once you fix that, another easy fix, then you'll have a soft focus which will keep the shot out.

Photography is not easy and there are dozens of things to remember. As for myself, I found a newly painted U18B today that I shot the heck out of..... and then 30 miles away somehow realized THEN that I had left the camera on 400 ISO from a shoot in a dark room the other day. Home base position for my camera is always to assume that the next time I pick up the camera will be a crystal clear, blue sky 100 ISO day..... like today.

Joe
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Looking at the Amtrak shot one last time, that lighting is not perfect and they may want it to be for a wedgie of a typical Amtrak train. But level it out, resubmitt and see.

Joe
Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Photography is not easy and there are dozens of things to remember. As for myself, I found a newly painted U18B today that I shot the heck out of..... and then 30 miles away somehow realized THEN that I had left the camera on 400 ISO from a shoot in a dark room the other day. Home base position for my camera is always to assume that the next time I pick up the camera will be a crystal clear, blue sky 100 ISO day..... like today.
Joe, my man, I feel your pain! I've done this several times. Once with a sunset that totally kicked ass...but then when I got home, realized I still had my camera set to 800 from the something earlier in the day. You know those rebels...horrible with noise at higher ISO's.

Just a few days ago I made a similar mistake again. I was waiting for a train to cross a bridge that rarely sees daytime traffic, and had my camera set exactly how it should be for the proper exposure. The wait was longer than I expected, so I took a drive around the area to scope out some other photo ops. During that time, I switched lenses to do some test shots, from my 17-40 to my 100-400. I usually shoot at f5.6 with my 100-400 and f8 with my 17-40. Well, after receiving a call from a friend who works for the local shortline to inform me the train was coming, I headed back to the bridge to get the shot. I had set it up earlier for f8 and 400 shutter speed. Well, guess what...I set the shutter speed to 400 and forget to put the fstop back to f8 from 5.6. And that one stop of light definitely made a difference...enough to slightly overexpose the shot. And beyond that, the 17-40's "sweet spot" is at f8, so to get the sharpest images possible, I try to shoot at f8 as much as possible. So not only was my shot slightly overexposed, but slightly soft as well. And this isn't a location I can get to very often with the exact variables (sun, time of day, etc) necessary for the perfect shot.

(here's the shot in question if you're interested with quite a bit of processing to make it look close to being properly exposed)

It still pisses me off when I look at it.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

I rotated the AMTRAK but did not crop it, and am doing nothing with the BNSF picture.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
I rotated the AMTRAK but did not crop it, and am doing nothing with the BNSF picture.
Did it get in? Aside from levelling it, I think it needs a slight crop as well. Seems to be too much unnecessary stuff on the right side. Looks like you might have a little w/a distortion as well. I checked your EXIF data to see what mm you were shooting at, but the data is not there. Did you save for the web?

Here's a rotation and crop that I think will work:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8375.JPG.62819.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	2202  

Last edited by JimThias; 09-30-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Ween

Quote:
Joe, my man, I feel your pain! I've done this several times. Once with a sunset that totally kicked ass...but then when I got home, realized I still had my camera set to 800 from the something earlier in the day. You know those rebels...horrible with noise at higher ISO's.
Jim, I know you shoot Manual, but for me, this brings up another advantage of shooting in Manual. If I leave my camera at high ISO from a previous outting, the next time I'm out on a blue sky sunny day, the shutter and aperature settings will be off from what I'm used to seeing. For instance, if I'm used to shooting at 1/500s at 5.6 and I see 1/1000s at 5.6, I know something's not right...
Old 09-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Jim, I know you shoot Manual, but for me, this brings up another advantage of shooting in Manual. If I leave my camera at high ISO from a previous outting, the next time I'm out on a blue sky sunny day, the shutter and aperature settings will be off from what I'm used to seeing. For instance, if I'm used to shooting at 1/500s at 5.6 and I see 1/1000s at 5.6, I know something's not right...
Yes, good point. But sometimes I get so excited about a shot that I don't even notice that the settings are wrong. Damn A.D.D.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Ween

Quote:
Yes, good point. But sometimes I get so excited about a shot
I know and that's what I'm worried about since switching the AF to the * button. I know I'm going to mess that up a couple of times before I get used to it!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #15
WKUrailfan

The bridge pillar in the Amtrak shot is vertical, its doesn't look like it, but it is. The screeners do use bogus rejections sometimes, this doesn't happen to be one of them however.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #16
Freericks
Met Fan

The wrong settings have been a problem for me since I started borrowing my dad's first SLR in 1975.

When I remember now, I always make a conscious effort to put the camera away at the safest setting I can. With the Digital Rebel that's the purely automatic green square. Not that I ever want to use that setting, but it's better than being in manual mode at 1600 IPO for a perfect sun shot, or being at a slow shutter speed trying to stop a train at 60mph -- the type of things that always happen to me because I have the memory of a lobotomized shrew.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #17
Chicago Railfan

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys!

Image © Chicago Railfan
PhotoID: 204100
Photograph © Chicago Railfan

PS: For copyright purposes, I did not use your picture JimThias. Thanks for the help though!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I know and that's what I'm worried about since switching the AF to the * button. I know I'm going to mess that up a couple of times before I get used to it!
Trust me, you'll get used to it. When shooting, my thumb rarely moves from the * button. It's natural there for me.

Quote:
PS: For copyright purposes, I did not use your picture JimThias. Thanks for the help though!
Well, while some people look at it as "just another Amtrak wedgie," it IS a quality shot and certainly deserves a place in the database. Nice job.