Old 03-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Cloudy? Yes, I'm aware it probably has other problems.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...67&key=6501338
Earlier today I got this shot of a westbound BNSF manifest that was rerouted over UP's Nampa Sub. Cropped it, brightened it, downscaled it, submitted it, and rejected... for being cloudy. However, this photo was very much taken in full sunlight, so that rejection does not make much sense to me. However, I am aware there are other problems with it. For example, yes, the cropping is way too tight. However, the image came out of the camera with the boundary on the right being that tight - I really need to get a second tripod. Also, it may be a bit noisy/low quality, particularly at the right side of the image. Thoughts? I've also attached the original file - straight out of the camera except for being 50% original size due to file size - for experimentation purposes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8971.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	458.8 KB
ID:	9593
Old 03-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #2
miningcamper1

I keep telling you that your submissions are too dark. You don't believe me or what?
Also you concede there are other problems, so why does the rejection not make sense? The screener doesn't always list every problem a photo has.

Your Salt Lake City light rail shot was fine- make more like that one.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but you need to upgrade the quality.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
RobJor

Hi,

It is a square crop? You want to end up around 1200 x 800.

If you have a shot a little further away, let us see that, You want some background. When you downsize to 1200 you want to select the highest image quality. Don't think you need a tripod, you said you got to spot an last minute which can be a problem.

And sorry, you still need a new camera, 1250th, F4.5, ISO 80 are not good settings for a daylight photo if it was on auto. I Forgot to sharpen.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	revised.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	9594  

Last edited by RobJor; 03-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
amtrak07t

I'm not sure I understand your comment about a second tripod. You really shouldn't need one to shoot still of trains.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
I'm not sure I understand your comment about a second tripod. You really shouldn't need one to shoot still of trains.
As I recall, Spacetrain shoots still and video simultaneously.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 AM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...67&key=6501338
Earlier today I got this shot of a westbound BNSF manifest that was rerouted over UP's Nampa Sub. Cropped it, brightened it, downscaled it, submitted it, and rejected... for being cloudy. However, this photo was very much taken in full sunlight, so that rejection does not make much sense to me. However, I am aware there are other problems with it. For example, yes, the cropping is way too tight. However, the image came out of the camera with the boundary on the right being that tight - I really need to get a second tripod. Also, it may be a bit noisy/low quality, particularly at the right side of the image. Thoughts? I've also attached the original file - straight out of the camera except for being 50% original size due to file size - for experimentation purposes.
Attachment 9593
Hi Spacetrain,

A few comments:

- When shooting, it is really important to see the WHOLE viewfinder. As you compose the shot, you need to be looking right, left, up and down, to ensure that there is some space around the subject. In this case, unless what you are showing is cropped heavily on the right, you did not leave enough room for an acceptable composition for RP. For that reason alone, I'd put this one aside.

- As others have noted, the image is underexposed by quite a bit. Assuming that you shot it in raw, the proper way to correct that is with the exposure slider in Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom. The limit on that is probably about 2-2.5 stops. Any more than that and the resulting image probably won't look very good. If it is a JPEG, brightening it enough to make the exposure look correct will probably get you a PIQ rejection.

- I highly suggest shooting manual exposure and if your camera won't let you do that, get one that will. Nowadays, you can get older DSLRs used for pretty inexpensive prices. Get a camera that will let you pick the settings. Being limited by your equipment will just frustrate you to no end. For bright sun, set your ISO to 200 for decent image quality. Set your aperture to f/8 for good depth of field. Then try 1/640th on the shutter. That will get you close. Use 1/500th if the sun is a bit filtered by cirrus clouds. Use 1/800th if the sun is really harsh. Those are just rough numbers, but they will get you close.

You can use a tripod if you want, but for daytime pictures, a tripod is a boat anchor, unless you are shooting a really long lens (> 200mm). I shoot hand-held all the time.

Shoot. Assess your work. Decide on what adjustments to make. Then shoot again with those adjustments. Keep trying. I maintain that anyone can get technically decent digital photos, if they put their mind to it. It is not rocket science.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #7
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Shoot. Assess your work. Decide on what adjustments to make. Then shoot again with those adjustments. Keep trying. I maintain that anyone can get technically decent digital photos, if they put their mind to it. It is not rocket science.
I agree with everything that Kevin said, but I would add that you don't have to use trains as your subject matter for practice/learning sessions. Since you are transportation challenged, walk around your neighborhood or town and shoot buildings, cars, or anything else that interests you. You can always erase any images that you don't like after you get home and evaluate them.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
As I recall, Spacetrain shoots still and video simultaneously.
I believe that was the case, and I strongly recommend against that if you want to take photos that are going to be accepted by rp. You really need to concentrate 100% on either still photos or videos when shooting a train IMO.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
I believe that was the case, and I strongly recommend against that if you want to take photos that are going to be accepted by rp. You really need to concentrate 100% on either still photos or videos when shooting a train IMO.
Even trickier???, some are shooting with a drone and stills, not sure of anyone doing all three???? Smile. At the very least you should be well accomplished at each before trying.

He is shooting with a P/S, composing a moving train through the LCD on the back of a camera in sunlight is trying enough. I remember my wife trying to shoot eagles on bright sunny day. LOL

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 03-19-2018 at 12:32 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
He is shooting with a P/S, composing a moving train through the LCD on the back of a camera in sunlight is trying enough. I remember my wife trying to shoot eagles on bright sunny day. LOL

Bob
I even know some very serious shooters that are composing on the LCDs of mirrorless cameras. I see all manner of issues with that, from problems with sun on the LCD screen to just being able to hold the camera steady. I envy the mirrorless folks for their lighter weight gear, but I'm not ready to trade my big, heavy Nikons just yet.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:44 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Disagree. Set up one camera on a tripod to shoot video, hit record, walk away, get in position for the still shot. Doesn't take much mental energy at all.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote