Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default Heritage quality?

C'mon guys! Don't you see it! Grasses obstructing the wheels? Flood the forum! This isn't RIGHT!!!!!!

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 397325
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
willig

At the risk of arousing the xenophobes, as a Brit, I find these NS Heritage unit roster shots incredibly boring. I don't understand how they get so many views.

I know that it is probably an unusual sight in the USA, but unusual occurrences outside N. America have to be better than this to get accepted as a rule - Bad cropping (centred loco) etc. comes to mind!

Last edited by willig; 05-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Someone is having too much fun

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
At the risk of arousing the xenophobes, as a Brit, I find these NS Heritage unit roster shots incredibly boring. I don't understand how they get so many views.

I know that it is probably an unusual sight in the USA, but unusual occurrences outside N. America have to be better than this to get accepted as a rule - Bad cropping (centred loco) etc. comes to mind!
Well, it is a roster shot. Roster shots are sort of a separate genre, and one does see them on RP, although not that often. But for a roster shot, I think (others, chime in!) the engine should be centered. Because the point isn't to introduce any interesting compositional elements or juxtapositions, it is simply to present the engine as nicely as possible. An off-center roster shot just looks weird, in my book.

I too think they are boring. But the point of the shot is not creative photography, it is conveyance of information; what does the thing look like? So well lit, no distracting poles, etc., that is how it goes. The wedgies and scenics do get there eventually.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
JimThias

I thought these EMD units were going to be delayed a month or so.

Also, since Casey wouldn't be trespassing, why didn't he (or someone else from NS) wack those weeds down before taking this shot? I find that absolutely baffling.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 05-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Uhg, more......
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Missabefan

With over 3100 views so far today and climbing fast, the photo (weeds and all) is doing what it's intended to do---get views and create foam.

Those foreground clutter rejections are for us mere mortals.
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I too think they are boring. But the point of the shot is not creative photography, it is conveyance of information; what does the thing look like? So well lit, no distracting poles, etc., that is how it goes. The wedgies and scenics do get there eventually.
When I look at these roll-out shots, I see them not as rosters, but "builders photos", similar to what was traditionally done with steam engines back in another time. I'm sure that railroad enthusiasts found those boring back in the day, but they are extremely interesting to people like me today. Documentation shots of common machines are of greatest value to future generations, not the present one. I'm sure that's why many folks are ho-humming on these "builders photos". You've all seen a TON of these machines before.

Personally, I think the best shots of the NS Heritage Locomotives are ones that show the engines in action, with some non-railroad scenery surrounding them. I also prefer the ones that have just a singular locomotive with a consist behind it. As common as it might be, seeing a brightly colored engine leading a string of jet black NS diesels just looks odd. It's a bit like seeing a regular, gray, squadron F/A-18 flying right-wing in the Blue Angel diamond....it's just not pleasing to the (my) eye at all.

I do like some of the paint schemes. It is kind of funny how everyone is in a "heightened state of excitement" when they see a Tuscan Red diesel in PRR markings, yet they have a flippin' stroke when someone paints a steam engine blue.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 329896
Photograph © Kevin Madore

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
C'mon guys! Don't you see it! Grasses obstructing the wheels? Flood the forum! This isn't RIGHT!!!!!!

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 397325
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that nose logo never appeared on a diesel, so how is THAT heritage, I ask?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
nikos1

On the other hand compare it to UP's heritage units lol.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I do like some of the paint schemes. It is kind of funny how everyone is in a "heightened state of excitement" when they see a Tuscan Red diesel in PRR markings, yet they have a flippin' stroke when someone paints a steam engine blue.

Image © Kevin Madore
I have a friend (who among other things used to work for Jerry Jacobsen on the Ohio Central) who insists that real steam engines are painted black - though he will make an excepetion for dark green locomotive enamel. Of course, he also thinks the coolest steam engines are the ones with three cylinders on one side that power a geared drivetrain and can't go faster than a person can run. What does he know? Personally, I'm not the fondest of the shade of blue Andy chose for the 425, but that didn't keep me from riding behind her or shooting her.
Image © Jonathan Hallman
PhotoID: 256706
Photograph © Jonathan Hallman

I just wish the only Ps-4 wasn't stuck inside the Smithsonian!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Craft View Post
Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that nose logo never appeared on a diesel, so how is THAT heritage, I ask?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Did the S&A ever even own a diesel?

On all of the whole World Wide Web, the only photo I can find is this
one on RP at a Museum. Is it legit or fantasy?

Image © Dennis Zaccardi
PhotoID: 135272
Photograph © Dennis Zaccardi

Either way - look at the new(est) Kansas City Southern Belles - who's to say that any livery would not have actually been "the next" scheme?

And, maybe the PRR just may have elected to go with their fancy Tuscan red passenger livery on a freight engine.

Hey - maybe they were just ecstatic to finally have a place on a nose to put a logo, now that the EMD's are out without that empty headlight socket.

Quote:
When I look at these roll-out shots, I see them not as rosters, but "builders photos", similar to what was traditionally done with steam engines back in another time.
Most builders photos I have seen are near, if not absolutely perfect. 3/4 wedges where you can see vividly both the full nose and side without the slightest obstruction neither foreground nor background. Most I had seen almost appeared as if they were "Photoshopped" to remove the backgrounds, though not all.

Quote:
Personally, I think the best shots of the NS Heritage Locomotives are ones that show the engines in action, with some non-railroad scenery surrounding them. I also prefer the ones that have just a singular locomotive with a consist behind it. As common as it might be, seeing a brightly colored engine leading a string of jet black NS diesels just looks odd. It's a bit like seeing a regular, gray, squadron F/A-18 flying right-wing in the Blue Angel diamond....it's just not pleasing to the (my) eye at all.
You have company there! Love your analogy!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
coborn35

Quote:

You wouldnt understand you arent from here.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Mgoldman

Quote:

It's quite simple actually - it's news. And more so - highly anticipated news. I think the problem with "unusual occurrences" outside N. America is that most of viewing audience nor the RP screeners would even know it's unusual. Ie; Finding a blue colored Good and Plenty would be an unusual occurrence for us here but a blue JG Liquorice Torpedoes, while unusual to you doesn't even register here in the US, lol.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I have a friend (who among other things used to work for Jerry Jacobsen on the Ohio Central) who insists that real steam engines are painted black - though he will make an excepetion for dark green locomotive enamel.
He must really hate this steam locomotive:

Image © Drew Jacksich
PhotoID: 313913
Photograph © Drew Jacksich

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
It's quite simple actually - it's news. And more so - highly anticipated news. I think the problem with "unusual occurrences" outside N. America is that most of viewing audience nor the RP screeners would even know it's unusual. Ie; Finding a blue colored Good and Plenty would be an unusual occurrence for us here but a blue JG Liquorice Torpedoes, while unusual to you doesn't even register here in the US, lol.

/Mitch
And the Award for the best comment on that photo:

"Amazing engine color"

BTW black is not actually a color.
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #18
nikos1

Quote:
Did the S&A ever even own a diesel?

On all of the whole World Wide Web, the only photo I can find is this
one on RP at a Museum. Is it legit or fantasy?

Image © Dennis Zaccardi
PhotoID: 135272
Photograph © Dennis Zaccardi

/Mitch
Yes, they had a fleet of Baldwins before the Southern bought them, photos of them are very rare, color ones nonexistant on the web. Apparently they were green and yellow. I wonder if part of the reason for not painting them in this scheme is that no good reference photos exist.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1843583

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
CSX1702

Quote:

Image © Kevin Madore
I personally think that's one of the best looking steam engines running today.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #20
JimThias

What in the world??

Name:  NS1065.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  225.4 KB

Refreshed and reloaded several times. What's that all about?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #21
JRMDC

I saw that for a few minutes also but it has now stopped.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #22
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:

Hey, American guys! This is just a bit of dry Brit wit. (See the lil' red twisted smilie?)

Remember, they go bananas for engines like this:

Image © Kerry Parker
PhotoID: 326879
Photograph © Kerry Parker

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
willig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I have a friend who insists that real steam engines are painted black - though he will make an excepetion for dark green locomotive enamel.
I don't suppose he'd like these then:
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 360097
Photograph © Graham Williams

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 204872

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 327516

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 325886

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 315876

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 241736

I guess he might like this one, though.
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 204873

But how about this? Same loco -two liveries, black and red. Which do you prefer?
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 338252

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 236764

The overwhelming preference in UK was the red.
Over here black was for freight and mixed traffic steam locos. Passenger locos were usually painted red, blue or green, or even.......
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 241852

Last edited by willig; 05-10-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
willig

Quote:
It's quite simple actually - it's news. And more so - highly anticipated news. I think the problem with "unusual occurrences" outside N. America is that most of viewing audience nor the RP screeners would even know it's unusual.
I understand this, but even when us non-Americans put a note to the screeners that a particular shot is news or unusual, it still has to meet all the usual criteria and a roster shot like the NS one in question would struggle to make it.
Non-American news simply appears to do nothing for the screeners, as American news usually does little for the rest of us.

Don't forget, RP has an awful lot of viewers outside North America. There are many thousands in Europe, Asia and Australasia. I have been approached by many sources from countries in Europe and Asia for use of my photos that they have seen on the site.

Don't get me wrong, USA newsworthy shots should be included as long as they are good photos and the rules are not relaxed because they are news. However, if relaxing the rules a little is the procedure for news shots, then let the same criteria be applied to photos from other countries please.

On this type of photo, I just don't think the rest of the world gets a fair crack of the whip. How about giving more consideration of the thousands of followers of RP that are not from N.America?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
Wizzo

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, USA newsworthy shots should be included as long as they are good photos and the rules are not relaxed because they are news. However, if relaxing the rules a little is the procedure for news shots, then let the same criteria be applied to photos from other countries please.

(
Quite......couldn't agree more Graham. Stop letting sub standard pics get on the site purely because they are 'news' - they won't news be in a years time.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote