Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default What in the world?!

First off, I'm not trying to whore any views here. I just acquired a mac on Monday. My version of CS2 that I've been using religiously ever since I could remember is gone. I'm not even sure I could even use it on this machine. ANYWHO....I went ahead an purchased Elements 9. It has pretty much all the features and tools I used in CS2 on the PC. Having a bit of an issue though. I'm processing fine. I'm resizing fine, sharpening is the same as with CS2. Now, I don't know if something is getting lost in the process here or what, but my images look great through Elements, nice and tack sharp. But when I view them on here, or anywhere on the big WWW, and when I open the image up a viewer, it looks like CRAP.

For example, this recent one

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 379161
Photograph © Ben Sutton

I'm almost ashamed to have it up here. Seriously.

The images almost look distorted and very soft. I'm processing as normal, is there something I'm missing? Do I have some sort of setting unchecked? I'm saving at the highest possible setting (12) when I'm saving as a JPG. Any help would be appreciated.

Ben
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I have complained about this many times before. The only thing of use I can say is to sharpen again after re-sizing it.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
asis80

Thats the only way I sharpen is after I resize.....I don't know. I know this isn't an elements issue as I had elements before I turned to CS2 and never had an issue. But that was years ago and alas, I don't have it...actually I don't have the PC anymore, so I can't cross check settings. Very frustrating!

Ben
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
asis80

Heh....you'll never believe this. I figured out the problem. Not with the pictures, it's not with elements, it's not with my processing. I had my magnification set on my browser waaaaay too high. Whoops! Firefox not only made my text bigger, but made images bigger, aka cropping in on a 1024 photo. Problem fixed, crisis averted. Disregard this thread

Ben
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I'm right behind you on getting a Mac, Ben! Let me know how you like it..

And I'm still bitter over the Red Lobster visit....

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Heh....you'll never believe this. I figured out the problem. Not with the pictures, it's not with elements, it's not with my processing. I had my magnification set on my browser waaaaay too high. Whoops! Firefox not only made my text bigger, but made images bigger, aka cropping in on a 1024 photo. Problem fixed, crisis averted. Disregard this thread

Ben
I was gonna say, the shot you linked looks fine to me! Glad you figured it out.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post

And I'm still bitter over the Red Lobster visit....

Chase
Haha, next time you head north on a weekend I'll buy. Mac is amazing so far. Handles much better, very stable. didn't take much to forget the pc habits and merge into the Mac era. I recommend it 100%

ben
Old 10-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Just get it over with...you'll never look back.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Just get it over with...you'll never look back.
You'll never pay it off too...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
JimThias

Paid cash for every one of mine. And I'm sure there are more people in this country in debt from purchasing PCs than Macs.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

you can get a part time job with all the time you save not waiting to reboot.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
You'll never pay it off too...
Never have to buy Norton and the other stuff, macs for the most part stable and problem free.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

I'm leaning towards going Mac too. Haven't decided desktop or laptop yet. Also, getting all new programs is a little daunting.

Have been told by a few Mac people that my external drives should continue to work with the Mac.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I don't know if you got a big monitor or not, but if you did, could it be because the photos are only about 1024 wide or 1000 high?

That might change the way they are displayed.

Or maybe if you just had a PC.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
IHapsias

WISH I could go Mac lol. Until now I'm stuck with a PC.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #16
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Never have to buy Norton and the other stuff, macs for the most part stable and problem free.
You could buy a hundred copies of Norton for the difference in cost between a macbook and a PC laptop.

Or let me put it like this: you could buy a legit copy of photoshop or lightroom, or whatever you use.

I dont intend to turn this into a mac bashing session, but just pointing out the cost differential.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #17
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I would just like to share; my real bill paying job is in IT Support and we had a Mac virus hit our campus.

They do exist, the idea that Macs are fundamentally invulnerable is not true. It is true that it is harder for a Mac to get a virus, but it is not impossible.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I would just like to share; my real bill paying job is in IT Support and we had a Mac virus hit our campus.

They do exist, the idea that Macs are fundamentally invulnerable is not true. It is true that it is harder for a Mac to get a virus, but it is not impossible.
I do IT support too (Exchange admin), and MAC products are the SCOURGE of Enterprise IT.

They are NOT Enterprise products, they dont fit in, you cant manage them (without hellaciously expensive third party products), they dont play nice with things that actually make our company money.

They are toys for executives, but we cant tell them no. You have no idea how much resources (read: money) trying to shoehorn these things into our network, only to allow the VIP's to play angry birds without using their airtime...

Yea, i'm not jaded...
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
Wizzo

Quote:
I do IT support too (Exchange admin), and MAC products are the SCOURGE of Enterprise IT.

They are NOT Enterprise products, they dont fit in, you cant manage them (without hellaciously expensive third party products), they dont play nice with things that actually make our company money.

They are toys for executives, but we cant tell them no. You have no idea how much resources (read: money) trying to shoehorn these things into our network, only to allow the VIP's to play angry birds without using their airtime...

Yea, i'm not jaded...
Ditto - I do IT infrastructure support as well. Macs have their niche and what they do well, they do very well, and the people that use them look no further than that.

I agree with you, try incorporating them into a PC centric corporate IT infrastructure (and 99.99999% of places are PC based rather than Mac) and you are entering a world of pain - small example. Standard diagram tool in our company like many others is MS Visio. There is no Mac version of Visio or any free viewing tools, you have to use paid for 3rd party products that in many cases don't do a very good job of converting the diagrams and cause more issues when they are amended and passed back to the PC people.

Its better now than it was 20 years ago, mainly because there is better support from Microsoft for Macs rather than the other way round - and at least we don't have to deal with OS/2 Warp and its predecessors any more

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
and at least we don't have to deal with OS/2 Warp and its predecessors any more
Yeah, Microsoft has finally got Windows caught up to what Warp offered - except in terms of stability.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
coborn35

Windows 7 has been pretty damn good so far.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
PLEzero

Quote:
You could buy a hundred copies of Norton for the difference in cost between a macbook and a PC laptop.
Sometimes you get what you pay for. I've never been more pleased with a computer I've owned than my iMac. They're not for everyone but it has done everything I've ever needed it to do very well. More than I can say about the loaded Dell it replaced or the Toshiba before that.

I even have a legit copy of Photoshop CS5. (Hail to higher education discounts)
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
IHapsias

Still loving your Iben, Ben?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #24
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:

Or let me put it like this: you could buy a legit copy of photoshop or lightroom, or whatever you use.

I dont intend to turn this into a mac bashing session, but just pointing out the cost differential.
How true, but one other thing mac's are worth more in trade in too if not to old so one has that going for them to. If one gets the top of the line mac it's is costly but the lower end ones aren't shabby.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #25
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:

Yea, i'm not jaded...
Just load Windozzzzz? PC are great if one likes to play with them, I don't.