Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
bigbassloyd

I work mainly off a laptop too Ben. Adobe gamma fixed me up pretty decently. If I'm ever in doubt, I check the photo on the work monitor. I haven't had to do that very much since I calibrated it using gamma.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #27
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Hey, at least Ian's processing doesn't make his images look like Candyland, PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
Come on guys, cut him a break. I know your joking n' all, but its kind of beating a already dead horse.
Glad we have the forum police here to straighten things up for us.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #28
coborn35

Yes Chase it is good that you are here now.
But where is your Sergeant Peter?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I can't remember if thats what I used last time or not loyd. I had to swipe the thing not too long ago and forgot how or what I used to calibrate it. I tried using online stuff, made it worse. I'll give the adobe gamma a try, because frankly this candy land crap is starting to irritate me.

Ben
Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #30
coborn35

What laptop do you use Ben?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #31
asis80

I should rephrase.....my shots looking supersaturated is starting to irritate me.

Ben
Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #32
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
Must. Increase. Saturation.
Love the new signature...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #33
asis80

Newish pavillion. I believe dv6. It has a LED screen, so for starters it turns all the shadows and whites purple. Why everything looks dull and purplish hue is beyond me. I can understand the purple hues on everything....but dull? You guys wanna know how much saturation I use to make it look "correct" on here? In CS2 my average saturation number is anywhere between +25 to +30. Outrageous numbers I know. But that's what it takes to make it look "real" on my end. The other PC is too old to handle Photoshop so I can't use that.

Ben
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #34
rathman11

Ben, I do my post processing work on a new Dell Studio XPS laptop with an LED screen as well. I'm beginning to think your screen does need to be calibrated because I hardly go over +10 for saturation. Then again, my photos could be supersaturated as well and I am unaware of it.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Cmon now....

But in all seriousnes, I've had this issue before but forgot how I mended the issue. Looks dull and dead on this screen (laptop) but looking at monitors at work or anywhere else my shots DO look like candy land. So this saturation thing everyone obviously has a problem with really isn't intentional. What would you guys suggest? Calibrate my screen ( have no idea how to do that with a laptop screen) against a monitor that shows this "candy land"?
Ben, I was looking through your pics the other night and it appeared this saturation period started around early November. Did you change computers around that time or something?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #36
PLEzero

Quote:
That dead horse will continue to be beaten as long as Candyland continues to be photographed.
This is the internet. I would expect nothing else. The RP.net forums haven't been this much fun in a long time. I don't plan on letting the fun die any time soon. Keep it coming, fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Love the new signature...
Thank you. Just having a little fun.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #37
asis80

No Jim. Like I responded to loyd, I did have this screen calibrated where everything looked great. No purple hues, colors were correct. Then my system crashed and had to go from scratch...meaning whatever software was installed that fixed my colors was gone. I have the purple hue again and colors are flat. I just tried the adobe gamma and it made it worse. And yes, this did happen around that time frame of novemberish....very upsetting.

Ben
Old 01-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #38
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I don't know much about monitor calibration, but I do want to add that the HP DV6000 series is a horrible computer. I had one that finally died.

I never had problems with the color of my monitor, 85 of my 86 shots on RP were processed on my old lap top. Only problem I ever had, which was very rare was overexposure.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #39
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
---- I do want to add that the HP DV6000 series is a horrible computer. I had one that finally died.

I never had problems with the color of my monitor----
Agreed also the Compaq V6000 same animal really, lots of problems listed on the net including recalls if yours complies.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #40
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
I should rephrase.....my shots looking supersaturated is starting to irritate me.

Ben
I have pondered whether or not to comment on changes I've seen on the site seeing I can only follow it during parts of the year and my last strong following was in early summer of '10'. Seeing many of the new threads and Ben's own quotes has nudged me to make this post as I made one last night and lost it when the site told me I wasn't logged in and I was going to pass but...seeing the latest photo from "Candyland" changed my tune.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=352207&nseq=0

Correct me if I'm wrong any one, does NS have two toned lights now on their engines? If not, this is yet another case of photos being altered to give them that false pop look to go along with several others being talked about in some of the latest threads. It seems the site is allowing the rules to be bent to a point of where images are ok even though they do not portray the realistic look one would see daily. If I'm wrong with the photo I gave a link to please correct me and forgive me for being a tad out of tune.

I guess the bigger question is how are many of these shots being allowed by the screeners? Many of us here would have some of these shots rejected for "over processed", "bad color" and so on and I don't like believing in the favoritism theory but one might be naive to not think of all reasons. I am not a fan of using the editing software to make changes to alter the intial shot and give a false impression of the scene but it seems the screeners are swaying away from the very guidelines they put in place. One could list many shots on the database and I am only using Ben's shot seeing he has admitted to issues he is having and I hope he can respect my opinion on this matter. Hell, his shots are being accepted so why not, lol.

Like others have stated, the site is not ours and the owners can do what they want but just stating and restating what others have already pointed out with questionable shots of varied reasons getting accepted. We all want a certain pop in our pictures but where is the limit to keep the integrity of the database here....the question will linger I guess.

My 2 cents on this, Rich Clark
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #41
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

That saturation is through the roof.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #42
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb My Soap Box Statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
...[portion omitted].... Seeing many of the new threads and Ben's own quotes has nudged me to make this post as I made one last night and lost it when the site told me I wasn't logged in and I was going to pass but...seeing the latest photo from "Candyland" changed my tune.

[url]http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=352207&nseq=0[/url

That one has too much saturation and if the person who posted it cannot see it right on their monitor than that explains it.

Further, I don't think that bit of over saturation was done to make the image "pop" because as it is, it just looks over saturated.

Course that is based on my external knowledge and bias since "I" know that NS number plates are white and not lit with a yellow bulb.

The causal observer may not have this bias and the image might look just fine to them.

In response to Big Iron's comments (and not to be argumentative or disrespectful) clearly the parameters of what is acceptable have changed and I don't think that is a bad thing.

If the audience wants to look at acid trip induced HDRs of trains then why would the Site not allow them.

It is an ad supported Site, and since I assume the owners don't pay for content (at least I don't know of anyone who is getting paid) so they are sort of stuck with what people submit and conversely with providing a forum for what people want to look at.

People can hem and haw about the good old days all they want, but the Kodachrome generation is not what will take railroad photography into the next decade or two and the sooner everyone comes to grips with that realization, the happier everyone will be.

I still stand by my pronouncement that once the Site accepted the first HDR image, all the rules became "old rules" and now it seems to be at the discretion and taste of the screeners.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-21-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #43
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
I have pondered whether or not to comment on changes I've seen on the site seeing I can only follow it during parts of the year and my last strong following was in early summer of '10'. Seeing many of the new threads and Ben's own quotes has nudged me to make this post as I made one last night and lost it when the site told me I wasn't logged in and I was going to pass but...seeing the latest photo from "Candyland" changed my tune.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=352207&nseq=0
NS is running with yellow number boards now? Sweet....

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #44
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
NS is running with yellow number boards now? Sweet....
Oh wow, that's horrible. You definitely need to make some changes, Ben. Maybe try to nail it on the camera that way you don't have to mess with it on the laptop?

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
JRMDC

What I don't understand about Ben's setup is that if his shots look normal on his computer when he is processing them, then when he goes to look at RP shots they should look horrible also, in the other direction. So around November he should have gotten really annoyed at, really, everything he sees on the web, it should all be well off.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #46
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
What I don't understand about Ben's setup is that if his shots look normal on his computer when he is processing them, then when he goes to look at RP shots they should look horrible also, in the other direction. So around November he should have gotten really annoyed at, really, everything he sees on the web, it should all be well off.
And my question is: If everyone is complaining about Ben's super-saturated photos and even Ben himself said they look bad when he checks them on a different monitor, then what are the screeners looking at when they accepted them in the first place? Shouldn't they have nailed every one with a saturation reject, alerting Ben to the problem? That's really where the ball was dropped on this issue.

- Chris
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
coborn35

Exactly. I feel like if they hadn't been let through, Ben could have alerted/fixed the problem much earlier and not publicly, like now. Also, its not just Ben's shots that are over saturated, its an alarming trend.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #48
IHapsias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post

Glad we have the forum police here to straighten things up for us.

Chase
Far from it. Its called sticking up for a friend.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #49
asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post

I never really noticed that much. I always thought when I did look at RP shots, or anything at that matter, the blandish look was "the norm". So I really wasn't annoyed at it.

To add, I found something within my ATI graphics card that allows you to change how RGB and some other assorted things like contrast, color cast, gamma, etc, looks on my screen. To eliminate the purplish tint, I fiddled with the blue spectrum until whites look white, not purple. My blacks were off too, looking more green than anything. Therefore bringing down the greens. Now all these adjustments were minute so the overall image or "look" wouldn't be drastically changed. Another thing I noticed was my gamma was buried in the negative side. I brought that up some. I went and looked at my shots in question and wow....all I gotta say is sorry guys .

The recent NS snow shot could have been done better, I agree. It was shot at near darkness (underexposed shot) and the boards were giving off a yellow hue. I gave up on trying to fix it. Any help on trying to fix them without altering any other colors in the shot would be appreciated.

I'll try to find some decent shots in the archives and process them with the calibration and attach them here for you all to see to test if my adjustments work. They should, because I compared my screen to the other monitor and everything is pretty spot on now.

Again, I apologize for the candyland effect. It was something not brought to my attention until recently.

Ben
Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #50
bigbassloyd

You'll get it figured out Ben. If not, blame Chase. It works for me.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote