Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
JimThias

Default John Crisanti Photo - Robert Jordan Comment

(posting here for discussion instead of in the comments section of John's shot)

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 609992
Photograph © John Crisanti

Quote:
Posted by Robert Jordan on March 15, 2017
Perfect fit!!! Gonna guess you been looking for this. Can't tell the distances with the zoom lens but not sure how keen I would be living there with the tank cars overhead???

There actually is quite a bit of distance between the tracks above and the house below...

That was taken up near the tunnel, and zoomed in quite a bit. I wish I had a wide angle view for the full effect.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I'm always amazed how mashed things get at the long end of my Tamron 150-600. Really creates some interesting compositions.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 04-12-2017 at 01:54 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
KevinM

Before I would pass judgment, I would like to see what the road-bed looks like up on the hill. If a string of tankers were to derail and roll on their sides, would they stay up on the hill, or careen down that steep embankment. If the latter, then I could understand Robert's concern. Despite the tele-smash effect, it sure looks like a derailment of tanks with hazardous or flammable materials on board could indeed be a concern for the folks living down in the valley there.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

At least 1000 feet of space between the upper track and the house. I'd worry more about thieves than tank cars up there.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
RobJor

My comment was just an observation, a visual reaction to a photo, not an assessment of risk. It is something people think about whether or not it is a realistic fear as I have several people living near a ROW ask me what I think as train guy(LOL).
Typically once things start rolling down hill they often continue until they reach the bottom which might be the gully in front of the house, good for conventional cars.

As far as potential here is a CW photo on a line that does carry oil trains, if it had been one the outcome could have been??????

Image © Craig Williams
PhotoID: 607378
Photograph © Craig Williams

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 04-13-2017 at 11:49 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 AM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Before I would pass judgment, I would like to see what the road-bed looks like up on the hill. If a string of tankers were to derail and roll on their sides, would they stay up on the hill, or careen down that steep embankment. If the latter, then I could understand Robert's concern. Despite the tele-smash effect, it sure looks like a derailment of tanks with hazardous or flammable materials on board could indeed be a concern for the folks living down in the valley there.
If they somehow managed to roll all the way down that hill (which takes several minutes to hike down), they'd come to a rest short of Highway 72 (there is a gully between the road and the hill). At that point the house is still a good 1/8th of a mile away. And I'm very confident to believe that before building that house, the owners did enough research about the possibility of a derailment affecting their house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coalcreekhouse.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	671.9 KB
ID:	9398

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 04-18-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
And I'm very confident to believe that before building that house, the owners did enough research about the possibility of a derailment affecting their house.
Seriously?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 04-18-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
JimThias

Apples and oranges. People have been routinely losing houses along shorelines for years. People should know better than to build that close to a possible erosion area.

Seriously, unless you've been to the location that is the topic of this thread, you'd realize that house is in ZERO danger of any kind of derailment, other than maybe an airborne threat, which would likely result in the entire area being evacuated.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Apples and oranges. People have been routinely losing houses along shorelines for years. People should know better than to build that close to a possible erosion area.

Seriously, unless you've been to the location that is the topic of this thread, you'd realize that house is in ZERO danger of any kind of derailment, other than maybe an airborne threat, which would likely result in the entire area being evacuated.
Actually, I agree on the relative risks. People living around Boulder probably worry more about wildfires, floods, and unruly coyotes. But while very rare, Lac-Mégantic size catastrophes do take out people and structures at some distance from the tracks.

I'd conclude that the train-watching benefit outweighs the slight accident risk at Coal Creek.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 04-23-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post

I'd conclude that the train-watching benefit outweighs the slight accident risk at Coal Creek.
100% agree! I'd love to live in that house.