Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
bigiron

Default Some simple attention to detail .....

One of the biggest contentions of the screeners is to be somewhat consistent with all submissions as to create some guidelines that all can work with seeing the quality required for "The BEST railroad photos on the net" title. Well, I know that most here would at least crop out the HAND in the below photo and most would get a rejection with "foreground clutter" caused by the weeds and even the lighting of the trucks seems a bit dark given the weather but this photo has all of the above and gets in....go figure whether or not it is a heritage unit shouldn't matter.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=466727&nseq=2

Wonder what will happen when I get back to submitting, lol? I know we all see plenty of examples that seem like easy rejections but like it's been said in the past,,it's not our site and they can choose what they want but "Come On Man" just a quick glance and most can see the drawbacks I commented on and it is a bit irritating for us that have rejections for seemingly far less issues. As much as this site has progressed and impressed, you would think less marginal shots would get by but over time with the more creative and better quality shots but a decent amount still get accepted and it creates for head scratching moments for many whether the admit it or not . I've been here long enough to get a taste of many rejections and try to learn from each on but have given up on shots I feel would make for a good addition to the site. Most would agree the standards do make better photographers out of most if they are willing to learn but there are plenty of great photos that will never be seen by viewers due to some screening shortfalls from time to time and that is a loss for all of us, IMO. Ok, done my vent but I hope this is taken in a way that improves the experience of the site in the long run.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
JimThias

Please see...

http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...postcount=1201

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
mersenne6

According to the Q.C. checkers over on the T.B.R.P.O.T.I. huh? thread the bean count for substandard accepted photos, including this one, during the last week (13-18 January) is 4 (posts #1162 - noisy picture, post #1165 - POTW, post #1199 unit in Colorado, post #1201 - NKP heritage).

The headliner on the front page of this site indicates the number of accepted pictures for the last week is 962. So, if we are going to treat the T.B.R.P.O.T.I. huh? count of 4 errors as definitive this is an error rate of .41%. Given that success rates of 99% (1% failure rate) are considered acceptable in many areas of industry it would appear that what has been documented is nothing more than the ordinary random variation of the inspection process.

In order to claim the contrary one would have to show that this error rate is outside the limits of ordinary site judgment variation. I'll leave the gathering and assessment of that data to someone else.
mersenne6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenne6 View Post
According to the Q.C. checkers over on the T.B.R.P.O.T.I. huh? thread the bean count for substandard accepted photos, including this one, during the last week (13-18 January) is 4 (posts #1162 - noisy picture, post #1165 - POTW, post #1199 unit in Colorado, post #1201 - NKP heritage).

The headliner on the front page of this site indicates the number of accepted pictures for the last week is 962. So, if we are going to treat the T.B.R.P.O.T.I. huh? count of 4 errors as definitive this is an error rate of .41%. Given that success rates of 99% (1% failure rate) are considered acceptable in many areas of industry it would appear that what has been documented is nothing more than the ordinary random variation of the inspection process.

In order to claim the contrary one would have to show that this error rate is outside the limits of ordinary site judgment variation. I'll leave the gathering and assessment of that data to someone else.
Uh-huh.....what he said Where is the Six Sigma process?? Took me a while to figure out that acronym...S.N.A.F.U.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Jim, thanks for the heads up as I haven't been on the site much lately and it seems I was going to mention another pic I saw a bit ago and this time I just went and started a thread and in truth didn't even look at the forum threads started due to time, oops.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

I wouldnt crop it out, I would CLONE it out. One would hope the photographer will fix that.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
CSX1702

Its a decent enough shot of a heritage unit. Better than some of one's I've seen. The photographer probably just didn't notice the hand.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 01-22-2014 at 12:53 AM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I wouldnt crop it out, I would CLONE it out. One would hope the photographer will fix that.
Right...3 clicks max.

There needs to be a "HAND!" rejection added to the list.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

The "hand of mediocrity."

I didn't see that, which I guess shows my level of interest for the shot; sure, it is a nice shot overall, but you don't get all lost in it either.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Blown out sky is more egregious to me, but they seem to not care so much about that anymore it seems...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

Because HERITAGE OONIT!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Because HERITAGE OONIT!

Loyd L.

Is it more evidence of the RP - NS coalition?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Is it more evidence of the RP - NS coalition?
"coalition" sounds so moderate. I think you mean conspiracy or, perhaps better, axis.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
"coalition" sounds so moderate. I think you mean conspiracy or, perhaps better, axis.
Yea, but none of those words have coal in them. The Rock is such a "wordsmith" in addition to his photog skills.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Yea, but none of those words have coal in them. The Rock is such a "wordsmith" in addition to his photog skills.
Oh, is he the Rock of these forums? I thought that was Troy.

Oh, wait, i see it now, they are indeed the same entity.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
........The Rock is such a "wordsmith" in addition to his photog skills.
But what does Charles have to do with this?