Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Mark T

Default PEQ - fixable?

Now I'm fully aware its not the greatest quality image (it was taken under quite challenging conditions) but I'd hoped the human element might have over-ridden that.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...91&key=6233244

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Mberry

In my experience PEQ is the death knell of any photo and means that even with improvements they simply don't want it in the database. If they wanted it in and thought it was fixable they would give you a fixable rejection (i.e. fix contrast, bad cropping, etc.).
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

It's not my cup of tea. Usually you cant "fix" PEQ. I think for future reference, you should have done a vertical crop there, you have a lot of empty space on the left and to some degree on the right.

Maybe re-crop it vertical, resubmit and see what happens. You might hit "screener roulette" and win?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Don't appeal it. A few things to consider: First, I like the shot and think it can possibly get on. But the color looks suspect. The shot is a bit dark. (And, yes, I know it's a night time shot.) There is a halo along the tree line. It might be a challenge, but if you work on those aspects, I think there's a great shot in here somewhere.

Of course, my question: is there one with the train closer to you on the left?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Mark T

Thanks for the replies. I'll play around with a few of the suggestions and see what I can come up with, but given its a long way off a perfect shot I think it might just be one for flickr....

My flickr
Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

The issue I see, and I am not accusing you of anything, but it APPEARS like it is two different photos layered together. You have the train and a lot of the people streaked, which obviously occurs in a timey, and then some of the people appear tack sharp as well as it appears there are some of those tack sharp people boarding a moving train.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
The issue I see, and I am not accusing you of anything, but it APPEARS like it is two different photos layered together. You have the train and a lot of the people streaked, which obviously occurs in a timey, and then some of the people appear tack sharp as well as it appears there are some of those tack sharp people boarding a moving train.
As crowded as it was, lots of those people just could not move!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
In my experience PEQ is the death knell of any photo and means that even with improvements they simply don't want it in the database. If they wanted it in and thought it was fixable they would give you a fixable rejection (i.e. fix contrast, bad cropping, etc.).
Not so, My one and only PC with now over 15,000 views was originally a PEQx2 I had other PEQs that made T24
As far as the photo, I don't think it's that bad, do you have a frame that you can crop some off the right, and that water mark is pretty distracting since you can only see it on the train part
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
Mark T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Ha ha. As if I'm that clever! No, it's just an exposure of a second or two, introducing some movement but not lots.

Interesting the suggestion from sd9 to crop the right as I'd thought it would have been the left that needed it?

My flickr