Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #76
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Holy shite ... I've just read the RP rant. I agree the screeners can sometimes be inconsistent but you get that in life. Are all of your managers at work the same? The only company that is has staff who are almost identical are McDonald's, "Would you like fries with that?"

I now upload most of my photos to Flickr and use RailPictures every now and then.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #77
filosoofke

OK, but it stays a fact that there could be more consistency in the selection of photographs. I don't know how many screeners there are, but it seems that sometimes you just have to be lucky with the person screening your picture. (There seems to be an easygoing screener behind his computer between 3 and 5 am, let's upload then!)

How can you for instance explain why a shot like this got accepted : http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...345185&nseq=10 , (horizontal level, hello?) while other shots with an original view on railroading got rejected because of bad cropping.
filosoofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #78
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosoofke View Post
OK, but it stays a fact that there could be more consistency in the selection of photographs. ... (horizontal level, hello?) while other shots with an original view on railroading got rejected because of bad cropping.
I don't want to imply that selection is consistent (although I do wonder just how far off it is from the level of consistency that can reasonably be expected given the time put in per shot screened). But one should also recognize that lots of "original view"s get accepted eventually, once reasonable adjustments are made to cropping, when the photographer is patient and considers the criticism. A first rejection is not a death sentence to a shot!

We are fated to discuss screener consistency forever and ever.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #79
nanshant

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I can accept that, but why do they even have the "too similar" rejection.
I thought the "too similar" rejection was reserved for shots uploaded around the same time. The first list of Thomas' photos that you posted were all shot on different days. I think it's pretty obvious that they have this rejection to prevent people viewing the latests photos from seeing the same thing over and over again. If you have multiple images of the same subject that are similar to stuff recently uploaded you should probably wait a few days or a week or even months or years before giving them a go here.

Perfect example, when some of these big photo charters occur there are generally multiple contributers here who attended. If everyone uploaded all of their acceptable shots from that day or night then this site would be flooded and, more than likely, a lot of people would get tired of looking at photos of the same steam engine in black and white or the NS executive train.
nanshant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #80
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanshant View Post
Perfect example, when some of these big photo charters occur there are generally multiple contributers here who attended. If everyone uploaded all of their acceptable shots from that day or night then this site would be flooded and, more than likely, a lot of people would get tired of looking at photos of the same steam engine in black and white or the NS executive train.
Which is why some folks who attend these charters hope that others will exercise some degree of restraint and not attempt to be the first to upload every last scene and every last run-by, so we all have a shot at getting a few pictures on the site. Invariably however, there's the party-pooper who brings a laptop and plasters the site before most of the participants ever get home.

The STP rejection is probably the most infuriating one of the lot....but the fury is not directed as much at the Screeners as it is at "Lap-Top-Dude". Now, I tend to shoot charter pictures for me. The stuff I post here is largely lone-wolf stuff.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #81
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Oh to Per Chance to Dream.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
....[omitted].... but the fury is not directed as much at the Screeners as it is at "Lap-Top-Dude". Now, I tend to shoot charter pictures for me. ....[omitted]....
When I grow up, I want to be "Lap-Top-Dude."

Or stand in a river with Loyd and Chase.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #82
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb This ones for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
See. That's the thing. "Not interesting to look at" is an opinion. It's your opinion. I've never been to that location or the one that Thomas Johnson shoots. I find it very interesting, more interesting than the ten or so locations around where I live that I can shoot regularily.
Ok Joe......

Here is my contribution from what in my opinion is a way too over shot place.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 345554
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

I have been to this spot numerous times and this is the first time I shot anything at this angle - so enjoy!

See my commentary in the caption on Flickr about this spot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3672212...n/photostream/
Old 11-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #83
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink Summit et al.

See what other views are available at this place if you want to get out of your car and do some hiking?

These are taken from just below where I took mine.

Image © Craig Walker
PhotoID: 345642
Photograph © Craig Walker
and
Image © Craig Walker
PhotoID: 345643
Photograph © Craig Walker

My gripe with these over shot spots is not that they should not be shot, rather that people should try to stand in some other spot, or get some other look so that their work does not look exactly the same as the last 50 people.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #84
Joe the Photog

I swear I thought I started this thread about not taking this stuff so seriously. You guys must love irony!

LOL
Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 AM   #85
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I swear I thought I started this thread about not taking this stuff so seriously. You guys must love irony!

LOL
You're concerned that railfans took a lighthearted post too seriously?

Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #86
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
You're concerned that railfans took a lighthearted post too seriously?

Well, since you put it that way...