Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #26
coborn35

Not a huge fan Ryan. Not in a disrespectful way, I do like the shot as a whole, but for RP I dont like it. Neither did I like Mitch Goldmans series on the Reading. Again, nice photos as a whole (and your both great photogs) but for RP I personally didn't like them.

Troy, its a different train, who cares? This is where opinions differ. They are interesting enough for me.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #27
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
I do like the shot as a whole, but for RP I dont like it.
Thank you for your honset opinion, but I do have to ask, in your opinon, what exactly would make an RP worthy shot?

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography
california_railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #28
coborn35

I guess I just feel that looking at it, I wish there was something that said "railroad" to me. I think that it is a very powerful and stunning image, and trust me I am not one of those "not railroady enough" people, but I guess as a viewer I wish I knew it was a railroad support right away. I know thats not possible, and again amazing work, but viewing as a screener I can at least understand why it would be given PEQ.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #29
nikos1

A BNSF train streaking by may have looked good. but I like the image as is, but then again I have a thing for the Milwaukee Pacific extension.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #30
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
They may be "offenders" to you but it isn't against RP standards to post the same view over and over. If he wants to enjoy his hobby in that manner, that is his right. If RP wants to accept those, well, look, it is going to be TOUGH to set a standard like that in any fair way. The only practical way I can think of is for the screeners to remember certain people, which means treat them differently, more harshly, than others. I don't take much interest in those shots, but that is a lot different from saying I think RP should exclude them..
I hear what you are saying, I was just getting at the too similar to previous rejection. Someone (not a screener) bitched at me for having 2 similar Amtrak pictures at Lakeland station.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #31
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Wow, I dont know what this guy is so upset about... dont know his portfolio, but I dont know why he would even try some of those.

I agree with this one. But let me say that, just because a photo is cloudy does not mean it cannot be done well. There are some nice cloudy ones on there, but the forementioned photos and rejections dont qualify.

Let me take this to another level (I WILL call this guy out). How can THIS happen?

I would add like 50 more of the identical shot I think. There are other offenders.
Wow dude, you make it look like that he submitted all of those in a row, the guy has 2977 pictures in the database, and you go through all of those to find the 5 taken from the same location? Fail...
Its a excellent spot, great lighting, great power, there are some spots that are worth repeating and that's definitely one of them. The only criticism I have is some of those are horrendously oversharpened, I've gotten that rejection for much much less. Thomas Johnson has a very interesting photostream, makes me wish I could go out there and shoot some of that awesome power running on the CP river line.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #32
crazytiger

Nikos, I do believe that you are incorrect. That location is very nice, but it is way overshot. As Troy said, TJ has a lot of shots from there. I just did a search and he has 215 shots taken in MN mentioning Dakota. Seems that greater than 3/4 of them are at that locale.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #33
nikos1

So shall we ban Morants Curve, St. Augustine, Gatzlin, and all the other favorite locations from being uploaded to RP as well?
The guy has been submitting shots since 2003, he lives in that area so obviously he will have a fair many shots from that location, and why not, you cant get a much better shot to emphasize some of those colorful CP-DME lashups.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #34
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
So shall we ban Morants Curve, St. Augustine, Gatzlin, and all the other favorite locations from being uploaded to RP as well?
The guy has been submitting shots since 2003, he lives in that area so obviously he will have a fair many shots from that location, and why not, you cant get a much better shot to emphasize some of those colorful CP-DME lashups.
You didnt read my whole post, if you looked through his body of work you will find a bunch of virtually identical shots from that location. In fact 4 out of 5 I chose to pick were taken within a 2 month span. It would be like if there were like 5 locations that you took all your pictures from.

I'm not taking away anything from his shots, the point was asking about the "similar to previous" rejection that does not seem to be used "evenly"
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #35
crazytiger

I would tend to agree with you except that in my understanding the STP reject has been used often when there are similar shots in the DB. I could be mistaken though.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #36
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I'm not taking away anything from his shots, the point was asking about the "similar to previous" rejection that does not seem to be used "evenly"
Similar to previous appears to be narrowly construed, limited to the same train and same view at the same location at the same time. I have never seen RP block a shot because it resembled something else on the database from, say, a previous week.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #37
coborn35

Troy, your Amtrak example doesnt jive. I understand what you mean, but 3 blue or 3 red units is alot different than 2 Amtrak P42's.
For me, as long as the power is different, location doesn't matter.

Last edited by coborn35; 11-12-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #38
coborn35

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 344935
Photograph © Loyd Lowry
Old 11-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #39
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 344935
Photograph © Loyd Lowry
You didn't have to delete your comment about it looking like I was on the ROW

Shadows of myself, wife, and son on bridge.

Original File, with exif. (note the focal length)

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-12-2010 at 03:03 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #40
coborn35

Touche Lloyd.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #41
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_railfan View Post
Thank you for your honset opinion, but I do have to ask, in your opinon, what exactly would make an RP worthy shot?
Brooks and Dunn 'Til you put a girl in it, you ain't got nothin' /Brooks and Dunn

Seriously though, the shot does look a lil bit dark on my monitor, but it's a cool shot no matter what.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #42
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I liked the bridge pier shot a lot. It's "new" material. I've never seen anything executed just like that. What would made for an interesting scene in daylight, made for a dramatic scene under night time skies.

I applaud Ryan for trying something unique and obviously having success with it. A POTW and a pending PCA.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #43
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
I agree with everything else you've said, Joe, but this one is what I really agree with... And symbols...

But, after reading a rant on Facebook from a very well known contributor to this site, I've really came to realize exactly how inconsistant the screeners are. Other than that, and a certain screener bringing his personal opinions of me into his screening practice, RP is a great website.
The screeners are inconsistent. Just look at the photos on here and the other ones I take... The biggest + to this site is its popularity. Correct me if I'm wrong but there aren't many other sites that can get me so many views quickly. And I like seeing that other people see my work. So that's the biggest thing about this site that I like.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #44
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

"Please don't take this the wrong way"
That didn't go over very well, did it?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 AM   #45
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
"Please don't take this the wrong way"
That didn't go over very well, did it?

Captain Hindsight at your service...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #46
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
D-Man,

Only reason I knew it was railroad related was because I've got chewed out by you for submitting a shot from that same exact location! If KD could've lit up a BNSF GEVO streaking by on a Westbound grainer, it'd be a #^%! of a lot better... It looks like an old highway bridge that they took the asphalt off of.

Just my two cents... Oh, and Chris, I do like the open rejection idea! (It'd get me to stop submitting as much as I do.....)
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #47
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking A Serving Suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
...[portion omitted].... I gave it a PEQ solely because it looked like you were standing on the tracks.
Perhaps ya'all might want to add that to the list of rules - "photos taken while trespassing or standing on the tracks will be summarily rejected."

Or tag them with that type of specific rejection.

Because I personally take great pleasure in composing shots where it looks like I am capturing the image in a place where I am not.

Such as:

Vanishing Point

Taken from here:

Reference Photo - Hill 582 Grade Crossing at U.S. Forest Service Road 3N48

Cause it would be really easy just to stand on the tracks and do whatever, but what would be the challenge in that?

Besides, no one wants to end up on someones Flickr page as douche bag of the month.

Trespassing at its Finest
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #48
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Things that Look Too Dark

Quote:
I'm not stirring the pot, but I would like to know who rejected this one the first time through... for underexposed...

The image is a 35 second exposure with flash bulbs providing the lighting on the pillars...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
I really like the subject image and I respect the grief the photographer went through to light the pillars and wait for the moon to get to where it was.

It is a very nice presentation and the creator should be rightfully proud.

This is defiantly not some 45 second grab shot.

The darkness or under exposed rejection on something like this has nothing to do with the shutter speed.

I have had a number of these dark artcy fartcy images rejected on the first pass as being too dark.

After fixing them I had to agree that they presented better on the Site after lightening them up.

Examples would be:

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 320438
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography
and
Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 319541
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

Other times I have just appealed them and tried to explain what I was doing when I composed the image.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-12-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #49
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Your Not Enough of a Rail Photo Dork.

Quote:
I guess I just feel that looking at it, I wish there was something that said "railroad" to me. I think that it is a very powerful and stunning image...[portion omitted]... I wish I knew it was a railroad support right away. I know thats not possible..[remainder omitted]...
After you have been looking at rail pictures from around the country long enough, you will come to recognize these places.

I had forgotten that it was in Washington, but I have seen pictures of these pillars before and recognized them right away.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #50
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation What You Think You See, Is Not Always What You Actually See.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
You didn't have to delete your comment about it looking like I was on the ROW ...[omitted]...
After following this side discussion I really feel impelled to comment on the following (sorry Loyd for grossing up your image).

Looking at Loyd's image, I really don't know why anyone would think he was standing on the track while taking it.

The dynamics of the image don't support that conclusion and why?

Name:  Loyd Rail.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  241.7 KB

Look at the shadows on the circled objects and the direction of the sun.

Where a person to stand over the gauge to take this their shadow would be right in the middle of the frame and most of it would be in the shade.

Further, where the photographer to have been on the other side (180 degrees difference) there would be a pretty significant glare coming off the rail head from the sun and everything would be backlit - which they are not in the image.

(See how the side of the tie in the top of the frame is illuminated all that way down into the ballast?)

Consequently, there is some trick that was used to get this, like being on a bridge.

Additionally the flatness of the image as shown by the lack of contrast between the heights of the tie surface and the tie plate are indicative of some tele-smashing (compression).

Ergo, if you know what you are looking at and how to produce that type of image it is clear that Loyd was not doing anything unsavory.