Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #26
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
And another thing. Travis said he used a cable release? Now we're talking about more than just placing the camera in the gauge. We're talking about taking the time to clear ballast or something to run the cable under the track so it wouldn't get severed. That's a lot of time to be fiddling around on the railroad's property . . .

Jon
Hopefully Travis used a wireless shutter release. If not, then that is a bit suspicious... A black object laying under in between the rails with a wire leading under the rail, etc. to wherever Travis was standing.

It's a nice shot and a really nice idea, but I'm a bit concerned as to this progressing into something bad, such as a moron railfan doing it who lacks a considerable amount of common sense. We have a lot of those types of railfans here in West Virginia!

I'd also be concerned with BNSF contacting Travis and perhaps attempt to get him into trouble, however, if Travis did have permission, I guess there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You rang?

Heh... Should've known.....

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #27
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Nice photo? Yes.
Should it be on here? Sorry.
I wish my wireless had that much juice.

I think Bill nailed it with his bold text/quotes from CK.

Jim has his smileys, and I have this:

Especially when you play on the tracks.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 09-29-2009 at 04:33 AM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #28
JimThias

Yes, trespassing is bad, and "professional" photographers seem to be the ones with the most disregard for railroad property (and safety)....

Oh, lookee there...three points of light in the background:

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #29
JimThias

Wow...just...wow....

Yes, this is an active line:

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 09-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #30
JimThias

Oh wait...it gets better....

What did I tell ya....

Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #31
JimThias

Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #32
JimThias

Hey, lets climb on the train car...lots of fun! WOOOOHOOO!!!!

Awe, how sweet...a family portrait while lounging on the tracks...

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #33
JimThias

Ok, now let's see what I have in my collection...

Better make sure at least ONE responsible adult is there...

Hey, who's that guy taking our picture while we're trespassing on RR property...

Old 09-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #34
JimThias

Ok, that's it (for now).

You know, I'm a little less concerned about a railfan taking pics on RR property than I am with dimwits like the people in the above shots. So Travis put the camera between the tracks at a grade crossing and got a picture of a train passing over...BIG F'ING DEAL. I think we have MORE to worry about with the type of behavior in the pictures above than a random shot like Travis got.

You people need to lighten up.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #35
Ween

Hey, let's lay in ballast on top of cancer-causing creosote-soaked ties. YAY!!!!

Fail.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #36
Ween

FWIW, the original shot in question is just...dumb. Sorry, Travis, but well-timed or not, to put your gear in jeopardy only to get a shot of a Swoosh'd GEVO?????? INSANE DUMB!

And to post it publically...somewhat dumb.

To accept it here, especially after publically stating obvious trespassing shots = PEQ...confusingly dumb. It makes defending RP difficult.

The one redeeming factor of the shot...it's not insanely fake-ified; there's been no Hicksian/Dewitzian filter applied, so nice job!

Last edited by Ween; 09-29-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #37
sd9

Quote:
Ok, that's it (for now).

You know, I'm a little less concerned about a railfan taking pics on RR property than I am with dimwits like the people in the above shots. So Travis put the camera between the tracks at a grade crossing and got a picture of a train passing over...BIG F'ING DEAL. I think we have MORE to worry about with the type of behavior in the pictures above than a random shot like Travis got.

Once again, Jim, your missing the point, this is about RP this is not about what some hick photographer is doing. like Mr Kilroy said "This is not the sort of thing we want to encourage amongst our viewership." There are a lot of photographers on RP from pros to first timers, as you know, and just maybe, some young photog might think it was done lying on the tracks or something not knowing what a "LONG CABLE SHUTTER RELEASE" is.
I never said it was, "BIG F'ING DEAL" I was just stating I was curious why RP would accept a pic (after Mr Kilroy made the Blanket statement.) that clearly defines trespassing and violation of state and federal laws, (maybe you can look them up instead of searching for pictures of other people standing on tracks) and when you say "YOU people need to lighten up" are you referring to RP/Mr Kilroy?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #38
firemanbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
At the risk of beating a dead horse (cue Jim Thias and his wonderful smily collection!), this is just another example of the frustrating inconsitency that we posters to this site have to deal with. You can now add "trespassing is wrong - except when it's not" to the list along with:

Backlit is bad except when it's not.
Cloudy day/common power is bad, except when it's not.
High sun is bad, except when it's not.
Digital manipulation is bad, except when it's not.

You get the picture. Now, I fully understand that the administrators of the site have the right to make whatever decisions they see fit as far as what does or doesn't end up in the DB. But with all due respect to them, and to Travis, who claims to have had permisssion, this image is just crying out to be copied by some idiot who won't pay attention to what's going on around them, and won't have permission. And, as Loyd mentioned, putting something in the gauge is asking for trouble without the other issues involved - who here really wants to be responsible for a train being put into emergency?

At the very least, if this photo was permitted because there was permission, there should be a very public disclaimer of that fact on the photo itself.

Jon
Thanks jnohallman! I get blasted when I mention the inconsistencies here. For every one photo my friends and I have had rejected, we'll find several that were accepted on the same day with far worse defects than ours. We don't argue that our photos are perfect. We argue that theirs are less perfect than ours...and most of them have had several hundred accepted. Hmmmmmm
firemanbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #39
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanbeetle View Post
Thanks jnohallman! I get blasted when I mention the inconsistencies here. For every one photo my friends and I have had rejected, we'll find several that were accepted on the same day with far worse defects than ours. We don't argue that our photos are perfect. We argue that theirs are less perfect than ours...and most of them have had several hundred accepted. Hmmmmmm
Beetle,

At the risk of beating a dead horse, show us all this work of yours which is more "perfect" than what others post. That's what the forums are here for. Don't rip on the screeners if you aren't willing to show us all this amazing stuff that you claim should be part of the database. As Joe said, maybe you have a legit beef -- or, conversely, maybe there are valid issues with your images and the helpful folks here can assist you with improving you work.

Of course, keep in mind that the degree of helpfulness tends to decrease proportionally with the lack of respect shown to the folks who volunteer their time to do a tough job; having already dropped the shorter of the two 'n' words people don't like to hear, you might already have one foot on the slippery slope.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #40
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanbeetle View Post
Your points regarding inconsistencies are at times valid, although often arguments about such inconsistencies are made without consideration of the natural variations and inaccuracies in a process conducted by humans. And those humans are for the most part volunteers at that (3 screeners), and while the other 2 screeners have a stake in the website, they have stated that the profits are not what many believe, and I believe both continue to have day jobs.

But what I often find to be the case is that people who newly come into the forum and make such claims turn out to be, in fact, not as good at rail photography as they believe. Sometimes not even close to being good. So, sure you don't have perfect shots as you say, but that is more of a CYA statement. You say that your shots are better than lots of shots here and yet get rejected. So please point us to your shots so that we can evaluate them and thus decide whether your view of the website makes any sense at all.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #41
JRMDC

Hmm, that is what happens when one gets interrupted while writing a post, someone else comes in and expresses the same thoughts. And in fewer words!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #42
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Ok, that's it (for now).

Post #30= That would make most viewed for sure.

As far as railfan vs. dimwits (Dew...nevermind, lol) is there a difference in this instance? I'm not denying that I have never crossed the main to get on the sunny side, or had rules bent for me that was kept on the down low from RR brass, but blatantly disregarding the issue, and then posting as evidence against yourself? Why don't you just go rob a bank and leave them your driver's license?

CK made his statement about trespassing=PEQ, but will Admin stick to it? I took a look at Alma on Bing Maps, and I did not see 2 crossings THAT close together, so...

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 09-29-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #43
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post

I took a look at Alma on Bing Maps, and I did not see 2 crossings THAT close together, so...
What about ped crossings?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #44
travsirocz

1. RPnet is not your kids babysitter.
2. If I post that on flickr, is yahoo responsible.
3. Your arguments are the same from people that want everything banned from tv and radio. Like guns, skin, harsh language. If you don't like it don't look.
4. I was in the presence of a BNSF employee - why the down low - I didn't sign a release form maybe? Did I have the right to be there, yes.
5. Yea, standing on a station platform feet from a train is safer. We were much further away then I normally stand for my other shots.
6. What if the train crew saw it pointed at them with a cable running to it? Saw what? A large format on a tripod. The camera set up is less then half as wide as a tie, sits well below the rail head, only 6 inches wide with a thin cable that you can't see standing on the ground a few feet away. Yea, they saw that along with a orange vested employee standing there.
7. If I wasn't with an employee and was trespassing - BNSF go after me? Are they going after all the senior and family portrait photographers? Just google images senior pictures
and train or railroad.
8. If someone copied this and laid between the rails - oh well - you can't grow more brains then your born with.
9. There are many, many images in the database that show dangerous shots. If the idiots don't see them here - they will see them on flickr, rrpa, smugmug, and any other photo sharing site even facebook.
10. Bottom line so what if I ruined my equipment? It's mine, I was well out of the way with the ok to be there.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #45
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
FWIW, the original shot in question is just...dumb. Sorry, Travis, but well-timed or not, to put your gear in jeopardy only to get a shot of a Swoosh'd GEVO?????? INSANE DUMB!
It was a risk. You put much more in jeopardy every day. Thank you for your service by the way!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #46
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
4. I was in the presence of a BNSF employee - why the down low - I didn't sign a release form maybe? Did I have the right to be there, yes.

9. There are many, many images in the database that show dangerous shots. If the idiots don't see them here - they will see them on flickr, rrpa, smugmug, and any other photo sharing site even facebook.
Travis,

The point many are trying to make is that you did NOT indicate in your original caption that you were accompanied by a railroad employee and had permission to create that shot. There are "many, many images in the database" taken from a position that is normally trespassing, but the photographer had in fact been given permission to be there -- and in most of these many, many cases, it is clearly noted in the caption that this was the case by incorporating something to the effect of, "photo from railroad property taken with permission."

A lot of the angst and teeth-gnashing in this thread could have been avoided if you had simply stated that fact to begin with, instead of writing a caption which, as I and others interpret it, does nothing to address the fact that you were not trespassing. Your initial comment in this thread that you "waited all day for this post to be started" did not help ameloriate the situation.

Two pennies on the sidewalk...
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #47
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
It's a nice shot and a really nice idea, but I'm a bit concerned as to this progressing into something bad, such as a moron railfan doing it who lacks a considerable amount of common sense.
Hey! I think I found the kid who will eventually get killed trying to replicate the shot:

Not the best way to watch a train!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #48
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Travis,

Your initial comment in this thread that you "waited all day for this post to be started" did not help ameloriate the situation.

Two pennies on the sidewalk...
What about those coins on the rail head shots.

Point well taken on this comment "waited all day for this post to be started". I thought the cable release addition was enough. I should have added I was not trespassing and so I did. I didn't want to include the employee in this.

Last edited by travsirocz; 09-29-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #49
EMTRailfan

Sorry Travis. Just because a maintainer or other RR employee 'gave you permission' to set your camera up there and then stay there himself so other employees could see him and say so-so is there with him doesn't throw the trespassing card out the window. It just risks the employee's job. I take it you have never been told "I can't tell you that you can, but it is the weekend and no mgt. is here, so make it quick." or anything like that? Like Lyod said, just because someone tells you that you can, doesn't mean that it's still Kosher.

As far as pedestrian cross walks, you're right, but you still had to run your cable under the rail, and your photo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Whether you had permission to be there or not, the fact that both of these shots look like you were just about underneath (if not actually underneath) a rail car that's barely still on the rail is the reason they were rejected. This is not the sort of thing we want to encourage amongst our viewership.
For the record, I think that it is an awesome photo and would like to see it remain on the site for artistic reasons, but...

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 09-29-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #50
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
I didn't want to include the employee in this.
But you uploaded the shot anyway. That included the employee even before you mentioned him. Now given the location of the shot, the fact that you gave the engine number AND the EXIFdata shows the time of the shot, how hard is it for someone to figure out who was standing with you?

Way to keep the employee out of this.