Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
mattyrob87

Default Suggestions Please!

Hereís a recently rejected picture of mine.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=476796&key=0

I donít really understand the reasons why it was rejected so I was wondering if you somebody can elaborate for me and tell me how this picture could be better for the next time.

Thanks!
mattyrob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
jdirelan87

tighter crop, sharpen (obviously)
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
JRMDC

As far as the crop goes, you didn't make a bad decision, you cropped to capture the entire bridge support in the water. But, to my eye, that resulted in a lot of dead space and a very small train. It's not so much that the engines are small as that the surroundings are not that interesting. I suspect this crop would have been fine had you been shooting a longer train, especially one going right to left with the nose of the lead engine to the left of where the caboose is now.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

I think the main issue is that the focus is soft. It also appears a little dark on my monitor (yes, I know, they didn't ding it for this... just noting).

As to the crop, you've got what I would call a tweener. Your frame is too tight to show the bridge and it's too wide to just be about the train. That being said, I don't see this as an absolute rejection issue. I think that by sharpening the picture, you might be able to get it in.

Were it my shot, I would have gone wider, showing the entire bridge, because some of the girder does block some of the train.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
randy

The other guys forgot to tell you it's a beautiful shot!

Now, having said that...

In addition to the other suggestions, I think I would crop behind the caboose and take out the top half of the sky.

If I had a location like that nearby by I'd be camping out for the next train!

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
railroadlover
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
As far as the crop goes, you didn't make a bad decision, you cropped to capture the entire bridge support in the water. But, to my eye, that resulted in a lot of dead space and a very small train. It's not so much that the engines are small as that the surroundings are not that interesting. I suspect this crop would have been fine had you been shooting a longer train, especially one going right to left with the nose of the lead engine to the left of where the caboose is now.
I agree, maybe you should get alittle closer to the train... I dont have pictures on but from what i know about picture taking, that woud be a plus
railroadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

What about going vertical with it? I agree with the others about too much bridge for that short of a train. BY ALL MEANS, go back, pull back and get more of the bridge with a bigger train. But for this shot, I like the sky and lighting, and think there is too much on the sides for that short of a train. I did not do anything other than cropping it to vertical. The sharpening does need adjusted, but doing so on top of your save would only worsened the photo. Start over from your original and give her a go. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010-1_jpg_66181 B.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	2438  
Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
mattyrob87

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
What about going vertical with it? I agree with the others about too much bridge for that short of a train. BY ALL MEANS, go back, pull back and get more of the bridge with a bigger train. But for this shot, I like the sky and lighting, and think there is too much on the sides for that short of a train. I did not do anything other than cropping it to vertical. The sharpening does need adjusted, but doing so on top of your save would only worsened the photo. Start over from your original and give her a go. I love it.
I liked your idea, so I tried that out. Nevetheless, it didn't get in...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=590475440
mattyrob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Ahhh!!! The infamous train with no wheels on a train bridge rejection. I still like it.