Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #51
Joe the Photog

I tried to care one way or the other about the picture in the original thread and just couldn't come to an opinion. I've seen worse accepted; I've seen better. That picture didn't have anything to do with my RP portfolio one way or the other. But I'd argue all day long that all the opinions addressed in this thread were legit and that theydeserved to be read.

Not trying to kiss anyone;s butt, but a thanks and a thumbs up goes out to the admins here for having these forums where we can discuss these things.

Joe
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #52
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Given RP.net's size and scope these days, it's about time something was done to hold screeners accountable for these "errors in judgement".

I've long felt that the screener rejecting a photo should have their name appear in the rejection e-mail. Maybe it's time to think about enacting that policy.
I have a feeling that the admins know which screeners accept which pictures. Making it public probably wouldn't do much good except to let some of the angry anti-RP folk know which screener to e-mail to harass privately.

I'm actually torn. If I were a screener, I would not oppose making it public, but I can very clearly see why the admns might not want to do that. As a sumbitter, I'm not sure I have a right to kow who rejects my shots.

Joe
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #53
jdirelan87

Rather than seeing the picture removed, it would have been nice to see a statement of intent or something. I.e., 'we the screeners have decided that scenic vistas are/are not acceptable material for rp.net.'

That is why I started this thread. Countless time people have submitted scenic shots that show little train (such as the one in question) and have been repeated shot down for bad motive. But now this one slips through.

The same goes for shots of abandon right of way, railway related structures or more abstract photographs. They seem to go in and out of fashion with screeners, getting regularly accepted for a few months then never again. Case it point, I'm sure every regular poster remembers a few months ago when if a photo got rejected for being cloudy, you would have a decent shot of getting it accepted if you converted it to B&W. This no longer works, but maybe in a few months it will back in vogue again.

There already exist a clear standards for the quality of a picture, I don't understand why this cannot extend to the subject matter of the picture. A list of what is and is not acceptable clearly stated somewhere and then enforced would go a long way to increase the credibility of the site.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 02-01-2008 at 05:50 PM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #54
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
As I said, photo did nothing for me in terms of interest. Given that the masses protested enough and whoever it was decided to erase the photo, that's fine, even if I don't agree with it.

This has simply shown me that screeners/editors opinions can be manipulated by committee.
I removed the photo, and was also the original screener. Upon further review, and reading the comments here, I realized I'd made a mistake and removed the photo, and let the photographer know why. This proves nothing, except that we do try to maintain our standards in an even manner, and that when we make a mistake, we try to rectify it and learn from it. If anyone thinks my decision to remove the photo was a result of the "backlash" in this thread, you're wrong.

Quote:
The issue at hand STILL has not been addressed, and that is inconsistency amongst and between the screeners, and how the standards for this site are upheld.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, between a group of 5 individuals there's never going to be 100% consistency. That's why the appeal process is in place; to guarantee (at least) a second look by a different person, who is always one of the two admins.

Quote:
Given RP.net's size and scope these days, it's about time something was done to hold screeners accountable for these "errors in judgement".

I've long felt that the screener rejecting a photo should have their name appear in the rejection e-mail. Maybe it's time to think about enacting that policy.
I couldn't disagree more. The screeners here volunteer their time to keep the queue moving, and as such, aren't accountable to anyone except the administrators for their actions. If you have a rejection you don't agree with, appeal it. If it's rejected on appeal, and you still disagree, take it up with Chris Starnes or myself, because we're the ones screening appeals anyway. The screeners, as a group, catch enough unwarranted crap every day for their decisions -- putting their names with each decision would increase that tenfold, and in my opinion, would be a huge step in the wrong direction.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #55
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
I removed the photo, and was also the original screener. Upon further review, and reading the comments here, I realized I'd made a mistake and removed the photo, and let the photographer know why. This proves nothing, except that we do try to maintain our standards in an even manner, and that when we make a mistake, we try to rectify it and learn from it. If anyone thinks my decision to remove the photo was a result of the "backlash" in this thread, you're wrong.
You contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. I'll leave it at that.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #56
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
No, I certainly didn't. I had second thoughts about accepting the photo before I even saw this thread. Reading these comments only confirmed the mistake I already knew I'd made. I admitted that I screwed up. We're all human, what more do you want?

Care to comment on the rest of my post? I'd love to hear why you think the screeners should be personally accountable to you for anything..

Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 02-01-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #57
JimThias

Quote:
I think what Chris was saying is that he realized he made a mistake accepting it (VERY unlevel, perhaps bad motive), and NOT that he was pressured BY the complaints to take it down. Those are two seperate things. I suppose his two comments you underlined could be construed as a contradiction, but I don't think he meant what you think he meant.

Last edited by JimThias; 02-01-2008 at 07:57 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #58
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I suppose his two comments you underlined could be construed as a contradiction, but I don't think he meant what you think he meant.
I don't think Sean and I ever agree on what we think each other meant.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #59
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
I don't think Sean and I ever agree on what we think each other meant.
Yes, we certainly do have a rather odd way of seeing eye to eye don't we?

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote