Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
BUFFIE

Default Thoughts about 'High Sun'

Hello fellow foamers.

I have not posted for a while but wanted to get thoughts on whether the 'high sun' reject should be reconsidered. I am accepting that my two examples below technically comply and am not wanting to have viewers see this as a rant otherwise.....but wanted to start a conversation about whether high sun should be considered a valid rejection these days.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...74&key=3050892

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...48&key=1863139

I did submit these two because the SD60M or the MK50-3 with their smooth sides don't cast the long shadows along the bodies.

I have seen that screeners are willing to accept more and more cloudy day shots, which I am all for given that we would otherwise miss seeing pics in areas where the weather just does not facilitate nice sunny days on most occasions.

Should 'High Sun' be sunset as a rejection?

And.........discuss
BUFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
ATSF666

I don't put my camera away when it's "high sun", but rarely do I submit one to Railpics.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
JRMDC

Ultimately the discussion is somewhat pointless because RP is what it is and the preferences of the owners are what they are. Those preferences do seem to have shifted over the years and they now seem to be more accepting of cloudy than they used to be. Nonetheless, the notion of "valid rejection" is somewhat meaningless; the site takes what it takes and it isn't clear to me that a forum discussion matters much. The ownership doesn't seem particularly responsive.

I personally am not a fan of black areas in shots and don't especially care for the BN shot on that basis. But it is a competently done wedgie with nice color and an interesting background and certainly in my eye rises above any number of competent wedgies without high sun but with the most boring of surroundings. I would like to see a touch of shadow tool applied; it can be overdone, but doing a bit is often helpful in my experience to make a shot look better, whether or not it is destined for RP.

On the Utah there are other issues, such as poorly chosen cropping on left and right edges, and bottom. Colorful, interesting. I wouldn't object to it being on, were the screeners to loosen the standard. The shot doesn't look like a harsh light shot.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
miningcamper1

Both have fallen flag value. Both could be more appealing with some adjustments.
Maybe the Utah would have gotten on if the units weren't facing away.

Still, admin preferences aren't going away anytime soon.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFIE View Post
Hello fellow foamers.

I have not posted for a while but wanted to get thoughts on whether the 'high sun' reject should be reconsidered. I am accepting that my two examples below technically comply and am not wanting to have viewers see this as a rant otherwise.....but wanted to start a conversation about whether high sun should be considered a valid rejection these days.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...74&key=3050892

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...48&key=1863139

I did submit these two because the SD60M or the MK50-3 with their smooth sides don't cast the long shadows along the bodies.

I have seen that screeners are willing to accept more and more cloudy day shots, which I am all for given that we would otherwise miss seeing pics in areas where the weather just does not facilitate nice sunny days on most occasions.

Should 'High Sun' be sunset as a rejection?

And.........discuss
No, it shouldn't. But it is probably not going to go away. Maybe you should respond with lots of accepted shots taken in "high sun," just to force them to acknowledge their inconsistency in "enforcement." Someone above had two rejects for being cockeyed, and I've seen MUCH worse examples (and obvious - the rejected shots discussed above don't really look cockeyed) that are among the "accepted." I wouldn't be surprised if some of the accepted cockeyed shots started level (or at least, more so), and then were screwed up trying to please the screeners.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

I like both shots, and have seen much worse high sun where things start to look washed out and harsh. These both look good to me.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote