Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Mberry

Default I'm confused..... how is this bad angle?

This photo got a bad color rejection on first try but bad angle on the second try. I appealed but of course that did no good. What might make this bad angle?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...88&key=9247332
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
CSX1702

I don't really think that's a bad angle. It should be more like bad cropping/ composition.

EDIT: Then again, the rejection does say, "...uninteresting angles on roster shots."

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 01-23-2014 at 01:58 AM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
EDIT: Then again, the rejection does say, "...uninteresting angles on roster shots."
This.

And you got a better shot of that unit in behind the other center cab.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Mberry

Yes, i guess that's it. Just frustrating when the first screener lets it through with a fixable rejection and the second screener gives it a killer rejection.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Yes, i guess that's it. Just frustrating when the first screener lets it through with a fixable rejection and the second screener gives it a killer rejection.
I understand the frustration, but if photography is subjective, then why should we think the screening process isn't going to be either? It's like saying that once an image gets rejected, whether for one thing or five things, it can only be rejected for the same thing when it's reuploaded.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I understand the frustration, but if photography is subjective, then why should we think the screening process isn't going to be either? It's like saying that once an image gets rejected, whether for one thing or five things, it can only be rejected for the same thing when it's reuploaded.
Yes, screening is of course subjective and the screeners are not robots with a set list of rules to look at. But at the same time, I'm of the opinion that if the first screener only rejected a shot for let's say "bad contrast", then it should somehow set a precedent and the next screener shouldn't give it a killer reject (unless for some glaring fault). I may be in the minority in thinking that way, but that's my two cents on the subject.....
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
This photo got a bad color rejection on first try but bad angle on the second try. I appealed but of course that did no good. What might make this bad angle?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...88&key=9247332
Michael, another possibility to consider when given a "bad angle" rejection is not the angle in relation to the subject but instead in relation to the lighting. I have had it happen a few times to me where the reflection of the sun jumping right back at the camera is unattractive and of course it wouldn't make any sense to give it a "bad lighting - backlit" rejection. I hate to say it but in this case I think you might have a bit of both reasons happening here. I'd go back and reshoot, it's doesn't look like that thing is going anywhere soon!

Wayne
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Michael, another possibility to consider when given a "bad angle" rejection is not the angle in relation to the subject but instead in relation to the lighting. I have had it happen a few times to me where the reflection of the sun jumping right back at the camera is unattractive and of course it wouldn't make any sense to give it a "bad lighting - backlit" rejection. I hate to say it but in this case I think you might have a bit of both reasons happening here. I'd go back and reshoot, it's doesn't look like that thing is going anywhere soon!

Wayne
Actually quite the opposite! It's hasn't been there for years; presumably scrapped.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

The other angle that has already been accepted to the database is more appealing than the most recent submission. I find it to be a little bit of an uninteresting roster shot that lacks a lot of contrast. The even broadside lighting doesn't allow for the locomotive to stand out or provide it with much depth.

A different angle, or a more traditional 3/4th angle would help not only the contrast, but the overall composition and angle.

Hope this makes sense!

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
The other angle that has already been accepted to the database is more appealing than the most recent submission. I find it to be a little bit of an uninteresting roster shot that lacks a lot of contrast. The even broadside lighting doesn't allow for the locomotive to stand out or provide it with much depth.

A different angle, or a more traditional 3/4th angle would help not only the contrast, but the overall composition and angle.

Hope this makes sense!

Chase
Thanks for your input Chase; appreciate it. This engine was scrapped some time ago, so reshooting it is no longer an option.