Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #1
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default Nobody's listening, but this is why people get pissed off at this site

Seriously, the inconsistency and hypocrisy of this place really bugs this shit out of me sometime and the owners / management wonders why they can't attract or retain talent

A sample of hypocritical nonsensical decisions from today's screeners...

Backlit
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...25&key=2974234

Not Backlit
Image © Matthew Griffin
PhotoID: 602981
Photograph © Matthew Griffin


Backlit
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...18&key=8581741

Not Backlit
Image © Matthew Griffin
PhotoID: 602978
Photograph © Matthew Griffin



I will be the first to admit that my rejected photos are not going to win any awards, but think they are better than accepting some dumb ass GEVO's where there are already thousands in the DB

The BNSF one I selected is pure crap, sorry. The CSX one would be a decent enough shot if it was lit properly...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,774
Default

That is the worst possible comparison you could possibly make, both of the shots you posted were sidelit at worst. Photos of 611 arn't rare, bad photos of 611 are extremely common.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
That is the worst possible comparison you could possibly make, both of the shots you posted were sidelit at worst. Photos of 611 arn't rare, bad photos of 611 are extremely common.
And bad shots of GEVO's are cool?

That's my point.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:14 AM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,075
Cool

Both of the 611 shots are very nice, better than a lot of images that make it in. But that said this place has been loaded with very similar shots of 611, and I guess some screener was tired of those kinds of shots. I think both the diesel shots you cited were detour trains, perhaps a screener thought that made them more news worthy that some "similar to previous" shots of 611. Me? I prefer the 611 shots but that is because I am a steam freak.

This is what a Flickr site is for.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 AM   #5
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

First one is fine.

I would've rejected your second shot for horrendous selective editing.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
Kyle Korienek
Senior Member
 
Kyle Korienek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
This is what a Flickr site is for.
Yeah, I tend to not get too caught up when a photo gets rejected anymore. I don't submit too much anymore on here, simply because I get so much more satisfaction out of Flickr, I don't have to compete with people who peddle their photos on Facebook to 31 different groups all in the quest of "views", even though their photo is not any better, sometimes, worse than some photos that, in my opinion, deserve much more love than they get. On Flickr, I don't have to worry about that, everything is given a fair shake, and the front page style viewing where you can see whats new and follow those that you want has become much more appealing. Flickr is what YOU make it. But, playing devil's advocate with myself, this is a site run by Chris x 2, and their rules apply. We choose to play by them when we submit, but, we still reserve the right to question the human aspect since they depend on ad revenue from clicks on our photos. I do have to credit RP with helping me get some exposure, it's great for that, and spending time on here has made me a better photographer, so I am not going to bash it. However, I cannot control a declining interest in wanting to post, and, I suppose Flickr could turn into that as well, but, for now, Flickr is my personal preference, leaving RP to post only what I believe to be my better photos.

This photo was just rejected a few minutes ago:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...54&key=6171418

It's the first photo that I have had rejected in a while, I can't remember the last rejection I had. I strongly disagree with their interpretation on my cropping, which leaves me 2 choices: Fix it and resubmit, or, walk away. I'm walking away, they don't want it as is, that's fine, their loss. That is why I submitted it to my Flickr first, and here second.
__________________
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI.


My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #7
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Seriously, the inconsistency and hypocrisy of this place really bugs this shit out of me sometime and the owners / management wonders why they can't attract or retain talent

A sample of hypocritical nonsensical decisions from today's screeners...
And the same sort of nonsense overwrought rhetoric that pervades political discussion also hits the RP forums with regularity!

"Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs; hence in general sense, dissimulation, pretense, sham."

They aren't hypocritical! Inconsistent, for sure. No news there, dog bits man! It would help your case to choose comparison shots that are more similar with the rejects.

First one, yea, bummer. Who knows what they were thinking. Second one, looks off, can't figure out why. Don't see the selective editing CSX1702 sees.

BTW, don't enter the road number as "N&W 611" - the "&" gets mucked up by RP somehow and when one clicks on the road number, one gets nothing. Use "NW 611". Same problem with B&O and C&O.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
And bad shots of GEVO's are cool?

That's my point.
The rules arn't about cool. The GEVO shots are boring but they meet all the standards. The lighting in both your shots is absolutely horrendous, unless this is the one time you shot all year I cannot fathom why you would want to upload these here, I wouldn't even put them on my Flickr.
I don't even upload here anymore and I fully agree with the screeners, apples and oranges comparison. No hypocrisy here.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,119
Default

I've consistently opposed dark-nose rejections. But management has rejected images with more light on the nose than either the CSX or especially the BNSF. The absence of lights doesn't help matters.

BTW, would anyone care to argue that malaise is not worsening hereabouts?
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-16-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: additional text
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
The rules arn't about cool. The GEVO shots are boring but they meet all the standards. The lighting in both your shots is absolutely horrendous, unless this is the one time you shot all year I cannot fathom why you would want to upload these here, I wouldn't even put them on my Flickr.
In both of my shots, the light is sufficient that no detail is lost, the B&W one, yeah, it's side lit, but to me that helps pronounce the smoke trail.

And not that it does matter, but I took zero shots in 2015 and really with the exception of one other time in 2016, this was it. But that really does not influence my decision to post this.

Quote:
I fully agree with the screeners, apples and oranges comparison. No hypocrisy here.

The first shot I called out has NO nose light. The second one has partial (less than half) nose light and really distracting shadows.

These would normally get the shot rejected and are against standards. So I do not understand where you are coming from.

Quote:
I don't even upload here anymore
Then why are you even posting in the forum?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
ShortlinesUSA
Senior Member
 
ShortlinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 806
Default

Didn't you already submit these photos and have them rejected then, too? I seem to recall these being the subject of a similar thread several months back.
__________________
Mike Derrick

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #12
Kyle Korienek
Senior Member
 
Kyle Korienek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Didn't you already submit these photos and have them rejected then, too? I seem to recall these being the subject of a similar thread several months back.
Look at his accepted photos, his last 15 are of 611, all from that same weekend. The idea of RP is quality over quantity, not every spot you go to is going to be a great one and not every photo is going to be good, just let these go, Troy...
__________________
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI.


My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Look at his accepted photos, his last 15 are of 611, all from that same weekend. The idea of RP is quality over quantity, not every spot you go to is going to be a great one and not every photo is going to be good, just let these go, Troy...
I already admitted that this was the last time I went out and shot trains. And it's insulting that you think I just submitted every shot I took...

I've been here a little longer than you and this isn't my first rodeo, i'm also just guessing that my life dynamics are a little more complicated than yours. So I don't have time to go out and take pictures of trains (or anything else for that matter) all the time.

I don't buy the "reroute trains" excuse BS either. At this point, a GEVO is a GEVO, it doesn't matter what color it's painted. And accepting sub-par shots of a GE widecab, of which there are tens of thousands out there running around, which you can shoot every day of the year, versus accepting a shot of one of a handful of operable superpower steam locomotives, which runn a handful of DAYS a year, makes no sense at all.

It's cool if they want to reject my photos, but be consistent about it.

Last edited by troy12n; 01-16-2017 at 09:39 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
Kyle Korienek
Senior Member
 
Kyle Korienek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I already admitted that this was the last time I went out and shot trains. And it's insulting that you think I just submitted every shot I took...

I've been here a little longer than you and this isn't my first rodeo, i'm also just guessing that my life dynamics are a little more complicated than yours. So I don't have time to go out and take pictures of trains (or anything else for that matter) all the time.
You're right, I don't know your life situation, it's a bummer you don't get to go out like I know you want to, that's not cool. I certainly hope things get better for you so you can get out, I have the luxury to be able to while I work and have a fortunate schedule, so I do sympathize with you there.

But, I know you have been here longer than me, so if anything, you should know a hell of a lot better than your angry posts seem to let on, so I will not sympathize with you on this. If you don't like how the site is run, and if you believe no one is listening, then stop submitting, pure and simple, stop. Stop giving them ad revenue clicks for your work. Stop fighting what you believe will never change, stop beating the dead horse and get a flickr, you will garner a following and be able to upload what you want and choose what you want to see, that seems like it will give you more satisfaction than here, especially since it seems you have such disdain for management here.

By yelling on here about subjective screening calls about how they favor one submitter and how they are against you, you are the guy who buys $125 tickets to a baseball game and spends the entire game bitching about every questionable ball or strike by yelling at the umpire loudly, all while paying $8 for a small beer every other inning. It's not gonna change anything with the ump, you're ruining the experience for everyone around you who paid for their tickets, and the team is still making money regardless of what the outcome is.

Remember what Ron Flanary said: "It's just a hobby."
__________________
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI.


My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #15
John West
Senior Curmudgeon
 
John West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Posts: 1,075
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
At this point, a GEVO is a GEVO, it doesn't matter what color it's painted. And accepting sub-par shots of a GE widecab, of which there are tens of thousands out there running around, which you can shoot every day of the year, versus accepting a shot of one of a handful of operable superpower steam locomotives, which runn a handful of DAYS a year, makes no sense at all.
For better or worse, apparently some viewers of this place apparently don't agree that a GEVO is a GEVO. And I suspect a growing number of viewers couldn't care less about superpower steam. I looked through your 611 posts and you have a lot of really nice images. Of course I'm one of those folks who like superpower steam. But I also found it interesting that at least in my view some of the your images that did get accepted are not as good as the ones that were rejected. So perhaps you should be grateful for small favors, and learn to accept that inconsistency is a fact of life here. And like Ron said, we do this for FUN.
__________________
John West
See my pix here and
here and here

Last edited by John West; 01-17-2017 at 01:04 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #16
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,774
Default

Are you seriously trying to say your shots are better lit than the two accepted shots? It is flat, high sun, filtered light. I was there that day and the light wasnt great for the westbound runs even if you shot somewhere that was decently lit, which you clearly didnt.
Just because it was one of the few 611 runs doesnt mean photos of it are rare, there were hundreds of people out that day, not all of their shots deserve to be accepted either.
Please explain how the lighting in your shot is less backlit than the accepted shots.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #17
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

You are such a troll Nikos...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 645
Default

Bending the rules. OK, I guess but as they say in small doses(very).

Image © Elijah Cross
PhotoID: 603228
Photograph © Elijah Cross


On another note, the photo count jumped as the site seemed photo bombed(I know not the actual meaning) by a few individuals. Too much of a good thing for my tastes. (9mm).

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 01-17-2017 at 02:15 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

On another note, the photo count jumped as the site seemed photo bombed(I know not the actual meaning) by a few individuals. Too much of a good thing for my tastes. (9mm).

Bob Jordan
A bit much for me, too. If you don't have Facebook, however, over 100 shots in a week is another way to become a Top Photographer.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

I've been here a little longer than you and this isn't my first rodeo, i'm also just guessing that my life dynamics are a little more complicated than yours. So I don't have time to go out and take pictures of trains (or anything else for that matter) all the time.
When signing up to be a member, RP should have a questionnaire, and in that include something like this:

Please tell us about your life dynamics so we can take that into consideration when screening your shitty photos.

__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-17-2017 at 11:26 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #21
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
When signing up to a be a member, RP should have a questionnaire, and in that include something like this:

Please tell us about your life dynamics so we can take that into consideration when screening your shitty photos.

When it comes to "unexplainable" rejections, my humble opinion is that the submitter's "life dynamics" probably play a minor role. Rather, I think it has more to do with the submitter's back-channel relationship with the site management and/or their propensity to make snarky comments rather than engage in reasonable discourse. I think that there are indeed different rules applied to submissions by folks in that category. English translation: When you get sick of dealing with someone, you just no longer care what their photos look like.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #22
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

I think Kevin completely missed Jim's joke ...
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #23
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think Kevin completely missed Jim's joke ...
No, I didn't miss anything. It was cute. Jim was joking.....but I wasn't.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:15 AM   #24
loomus78
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
You're right, I don't know your life situation, it's a bummer you don't get to go out like I know you want to, that's not cool. I certainly hope things get better for you so you can get out, I have the luxury to be able to while I work and have a fortunate schedule, so I do sympathize with you there.

But, I know you have been here longer than me, so if anything, you should know a hell of a lot better than your angry posts seem to let on, so I will not sympathize with you on this. If you don't like how the site is run, and if you believe no one is listening, then stop submitting, pure and simple, stop. Stop giving them ad revenue clicks for your work. Stop fighting what you believe will never change, stop beating the dead horse and get a flickr, you will garner a following and be able to upload what you want and choose what you want to see, that seems like it will give you more satisfaction than here, especially since it seems you have such disdain for management here.

By yelling on here about subjective screening calls about how they favor one submitter and how they are against you, you are the guy who buys $125 tickets to a baseball game and spends the entire game bitching about every questionable ball or strike by yelling at the umpire loudly, all while paying $8 for a small beer every other inning. It's not gonna change anything with the ump, you're ruining the experience for everyone around you who paid for their tickets, and the team is still making money regardless of what the outcome is.

Remember what Ron Flanary said: "It's just a hobby."
This response right here deserves to be the post of the year.
__________________
Jon Wright
Martinsburg, WV
CSX Cumberland Sub
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 AM   #25
Cameron A. Photography
Senior Member
 
Cameron A. Photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 155
Send a message via MSN to Cameron A. Photography
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Seriously, the inconsistency and hypocrisy of this place really bugs this shit out of me sometime and the owners / management wonders why they can't attract or retain talent

I will be the first to admit that my rejected photos are not going to win any awards, but think they are better than accepting some dumb ass GEVO's where there are already thousands in the DB

The BNSF one I selected is pure crap, sorry. The CSX one would be a decent enough shot if it was lit properly...
Glad to see these message boards have not changed since I made an account here years ago.

Nothing's changed! Still the same crybabies weeping about their christawful 611 dildo shots not making it. I guess there's a reason I never post here. Too much butthurt. Shoot a shortline for godsake.

Instead of weeping, FIX the problem you are having. Upload to Flickr. Present a slideshow. Reinvent.

-C
__________________
cam from Toronto

The RP
The Flickr
Cameron A. Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.