Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
Mberry

Default Beating my head against a wall

I know this is beating my head against a wall, and I've said this on the forums many times in many threads, but admins, stop wasting our time (and yours too) with fixable rejections followed 10 minutes later by killer rejections (which means the same screener is undoubtedly screening both).

Rejections in this order should not happen. Chris Kilroy talked about a new screening process that would eliminate this, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point. Everyone loses with the old way, photographers waste their time and get pissed off, screeners waste their time too...... etc.

This rejection (fixable):
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...57&key=8102069

Followed by this rejection (killer):
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...76&key=4742232
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

At the risk of asking a stupid and snarky question, did you not see the shadows? Did you really need a screener to point them out to you? They were there when you took the shot, looked at it on the back of the camera, loaded it on the computer, processed it, loaded it to RP, saw the rejection, "fixed" the rejection and reuploaded.

I opened the first link and said, "Yep, distracting shadows" and I wasn't even wearing my glasses! Come on! Bitch about the screening process when it goes wrong. Not when you should have seen the rejection coming from a mile away!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
At the risk of asking a stupid and snarky question, did you not see the shadows? Did you really need a screener to point them out to you? They were there when you took the shot, looked at it on the back of the camera, loaded it on the computer, processed it, loaded it to RP, saw the rejection, "fixed" the rejection and reuploaded.

I opened the first link and said, "Yep, distracting shadows" and I wasn't even wearing my glasses! Come on! Bitch about the screening process when it goes wrong. Not when you should have seen the rejection coming from a mile away!
Look, the point isn't about the validity of the rejection that I posted. Yes, it's a valid rejection, but I thought there was a small chance it would get on. I'm not saying the rejection is wrong. This thread is about the order of the rejections and the time wasted and how the current system needs improvement.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
MassArt Images

I think you got a different screener. This probably would not happen if the same screener would be made to review your corrected image.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Mgoldman

I think your thread topic should have been:

talking to the wall

Personally, I have no issue with multiple unique rejections. With dozens of images to screen, I would not advocate each image being screened to the point where all applicable rejections are noted - too much work, likely. Just fix 'em and resubmit, no biggie. However, to your point, missed by Joe - if there is an uncorrectable and obvious uncorrectable rejection, that should be noted FIRST, not last.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #6
JimThias

Michael, why didn't you shoot the lead engine in that nice wide open space of sunshine about one loco length back? Looks like it's wide enough for two units to be fully lit.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #7
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I think your thread topic should have been:

talking to the wall

Personally, I have no issue with multiple unique rejections. With dozens of images to screen, I would not advocate each image being screened to the point where all applicable rejections are noted - too much work, likely. Just fix 'em and resubmit, no biggie. However, to your point, missed by Joe - if there is an uncorrectable and obvious uncorrectable rejection, that should be noted FIRST, not last.

/Mitch
Yep, that's my point.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #8
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Michael, why didn't you shoot the lead engine in that nice wide open space of sunshine about one loco length back? Looks like it's wide enough for two units to be fully lit.
I didn't expect this train to be on this track, so I was not well positioned to shoot it.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
bigbassloyd

Is there some great thrill when you sneak one in or something? You recognized the flaw in the shot (as it pertains to RP, not that the shot is good or bad overall) before you submitted it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
miningcamper1

Well, there's plenty of nose light (ever so important to some people), but those shadows don't bother me. Not even a little.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
troy12n
Banned

I wouldnt beat myself over this shot.

I know your point is the (flawed) process and lack of consistency, but still
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
I didn't expect this train to be on this track, so I was not well positioned to shoot it.
That opening of sun is available on all the tracks. What do you mean you weren't well positioned? Is this a grab shot and you weren't able to get into position and push the shutter button until too late?

I've had those moments, thinking, "Damn, if only I had arrived 10 seconds sooner."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 07-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Is there some great thrill when you sneak one in or something? You recognized the flaw in the shot (as it pertains to RP, not that the shot is good or bad overall) before you submitted it.

Loyd L.
Yeah, there must be!

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 488009
Photograph © Michael Berry

Sorry Michael, couldn't resist!

What's with the thumbs not showing up again, starting this afternoon? Quite annoying! Maybe they're embarrassed??

Last edited by wds; 07-03-2014 at 11:17 PM.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Yeah, there must be!

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 488009
Photograph © Michael Berry

Sorry Michael, couldn't resist!

What's with the thumbs not showing up again, starting this afternoon? Quite annoying! Maybe they're embarrassed??
Maybe I needed that screener yesterday......

I submitted that because I couldn't get this on, even on appeal. They said it's unlevel and I'm convinced it is.

Less and less rare by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr
Old 07-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Mark T

Quote:
Maybe I needed that screener yesterday......

I submitted that because I couldn't get this on, even on appeal. They said it's unlevel and I'm convinced it is.

Less and less rare by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr
Looks to me like it needs a smidge CCW rotation.

My flickr
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #16
MagnumForce

Sky is a bit blown out too.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Ween

Quote:
Look, the point isn't about the validity of the rejection that I posted.
For some reason, this made me think of this:
http://andyradical.tumblr.com/post/3...anything-other
Old 07-06-2014, 03:51 AM   #18
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Fellows---there is NOTHING wrong with the shadow issue. He waited to nail the front of the unit in sun, so it's a good 'un. This "distracting shadow" rule (?) is just another RP.net "thing" that has nothing to do with photography in the real world.

These are the kinds of things that drive pros (I'm not one...) nuts about RP.net. Where in God's name did this "rule" come from?? What's the next rejection reason: Photographer had a sudden attack of flatulence when shutter was triggered.

You remove the shadows and this becomes a boring-as-hell sunny day shot. As it is now, it has (in my opinion, at least) some character. Is that what we want....more sunny, boring and exceedingly average choo-choo pictures?
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
What's the next rejection reason: [i]Photographer had a sudden attack of flatulence when shutter was triggered.
Point taken, Ron, but as this thought would not have occurred to me I realize that I must make a mental note never to spend time trackside with you.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #20
Mberry

Quote:
Fellows---there is NOTHING wrong with the shadow issue. He waited to nail the front of the unit in sun, so it's a good 'un. This "distracting shadow" rule (?) is just another RP.net "thing" that has nothing to do with photography in the real world.

These are the kinds of things that drive pros (I'm not one...) nuts about RP.net. Where in God's name did this "rule" come from?? What's the next rejection reason: Photographer had a sudden attack of flatulence when shutter was triggered.

You remove the shadows and this becomes a boring-as-hell sunny day shot. As it is now, it has (in my opinion, at least) some character. Is that what we want....more sunny, boring and exceedingly average choo-choo pictures?
If Ron Flanary says my shot has character, I might as well include the Flickr link since the rejection link will die soon!

6 engines strong! by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
bigbassloyd

Quote:
This "distracting shadow" rule (?) is just another RP.net "thing" that has nothing to do with photography in the real world.
Ask any architecture or portrait photographer worth their salt about shadows cutting across on the main area of interest, and I bet you'll find none of them saying that it 'adds character'.

Quote:

He should have taken it out of focus. and tilted about 15 degrees. That would have boosted the character tremendously, and certainly separated it from the normal boring-as-hell sunny day shots.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 07-06-2014 at 09:03 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #22
miningcamper1

Quote:
Where in God's name did this "rule" come from??
Obviously...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moses.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	8656  
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #23
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Ask any architecture or portrait photographer worth their salt about shadows cutting across on the main area of interest, and I bet you'll find none of them saying that it 'adds character'.

Loyd L.
We don't need to consult Frank Lloyd Wright on this one, Loyd....the "main area of interest" is not the side of the locomotive, it's the front, and it's lit up the best tradition of the three quarter wedge. Does the shadow add character. Hell yes!! A portrait photographer? We're not photographing faces here---it's trains, and the same rules don't always apply.

I wouldn't want you guys to always labor under the notion that RP.net's "standards" are all that and a bag of chips. They're generally good for most railroad photography, but the devil is in the details. Of course if you want to get a shot accepted here, conformity is the only answer. That's all well and good....but a rejection from RP.net (other than purely technical) shouldn't necessarily mean a shot is crap (it could be, though!). It just means they won't accept it.

It's their site, of course, and I respect their right to run it as they wish.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #24
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
FWhat's the next rejection reason: Photographer had a sudden attack of flatulence when shutter was triggered.
I'd never get another picture on.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #25
JimThias

Quote:

Prior to RP, no one ever stated, "Too bad for that shadow"?

I'd rather have a boring as hell full sun shot than a boring as hell shot with a big boring shadow.