Old 06-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Firefighter1019

Default Color hue under the milkyway

Hit with a too dark, fixed that now hit with a Color (Hue): The hue (color cast) of the photo is poor; i.e. there is too much of a certain color throughout the image. Please see the screener comments field for suggestions on how this may be fixed.

Not sure what to do with it.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1401823017.jpg
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Carl Becker

The bottom looks really green to me, and there's some detail lost on the front of the Amtrak unit.

Also, the shape of the steam engine looks awfully queer.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 View Post
Hit with a too dark, fixed that now hit with a Color (Hue): The hue (color cast) of the photo is poor; i.e. there is too much of a certain color throughout the image. Please see the screener comments field for suggestions on how this may be fixed.
So there was NO screener comments as suggested?

Very creative photo. Might have some difficulty getting it into RP as I feel there are additional issues to contend with - distracting shadows (I'm OK with it however), noise in the sky (fixable) and for a lack of a better description, the engines are a bit "splotchy". Oil painting like.

If it were only the "hue", I'm OK with it as is. Some folks like blue while others like a warmer tone or black sky. Also, your steam engine is a bit purple /blue which can be fixed by warming up the scene or just the engine itself. No doubt light cast from nearby street lamp.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Firefighter1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
So there was NO screener comments as suggested?

Very creative photo. Might have some difficulty getting it into RP as I feel there are additional issues to contend with - distracting shadows (I'm OK with it however), noise in the sky (fixable) and for a lack of a better description, the engines are a bit "splotchy". Oil painting like.

If it were only the "hue", I'm OK with it as is. Some folks like blue while others like a warmer tone or black sky. Also, your steam engine is a bit purple /blue which can be fixed by warming up the scene or just the engine itself. No doubt light cast from nearby street lamp.

/Mitch
Nope didnt find the screeners comment anywhere.

It was a tough shot because I was going for our milkyway shot behind the engine. The place is out in the middle of nowhereville and there was little lighting besides some street lamps and my led flashlight. Unfortunately the color was the way it was to bring out the gases in the sky. As for the engines looking splotchy from looking at daylight photos it appears to be the way the engine looks in general (Oily)

Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Carl Becker

So that steamer is shaped like that. Disregard my previous comment concerning it.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Mgoldman

It could be a depth of field issue - lot's of detail in the scene looks soft, if not blurry.

The Milkyway detail can be seen even when warmer with orange and yellow tones, though many have a preference for blue.

I'm surprised you got the Milkyway in the shot with all the lighting near the Museum.

The Pennsylvania RR Museum is far from being in the middle of nowhere and the "light pollution" from nearby Lancaster, as well as Strasburg itself would typically make capturing the Milkyway very hard to do. Helps when the Moon is nowhere in sight.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Firefighter1019

I'm half tempted to appeal it on the grounds there was NO screeners comments to fix it. But then again I might have better chance getting blood from a stone.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
Firefighter1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
It could be a depth of field issue - lot's of detail in the scene looks soft, if not blurry.

The Milkyway detail can be seen even when warmer with orange and yellow tones, though many have a preference for blue.

I'm surprised you got the Milkyway in the shot with all the lighting near the Museum.

The Pennsylvania RR Museum is far from being in the middle of nowhere and the "light pollution" from nearby Lancaster, as well as Strasburg itself would typically make capturing the Milkyway very hard to do. Helps when the Moon is no where in sight.

/Mitch

It was tough to capture several attempts to get it right being everything had a fence around it. I had to position the camera between two post. Well I'm from the city so that's nowhere to me lol. But the direction is facing south and there really isn't as much light as you think. It was actually visible with the naked eye.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

It would benefit from a warmer color temperature, and some work to make the milky way pop more. I think the image quality isn't good enough to pass the mustard, though.

My astrophotography side is saying the milky way isn't going to be strong enough, and the railfan side isn't happy with the composition.

It can be difficult to make the milky way stand out in a scene, especially in areas that aren't dark sky.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Firefighter1019

Best I could do with it. I think this one is a lost cause.

PRRMilkyway1200 by shawnleightcapphotography, on Flickr

Last edited by Firefighter1019; 06-04-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

I agree. That's the pain of photographing the milky way, and it can humble alot of photographers.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 06-04-2014 at 01:37 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Dennis A. Livesey

Also send the link to the actual RP rejection rather than a generic link. This way we see what the screener's see and the rejection notice.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote