Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
Mberry

Default Not sure what this means....

These are both 8x10 crops. Both got rejected for "Size (Dimensions): The photo is either too narrow vertically or horizontally. For normal landscape images, our recommended height for a 1024 pixel wide image is 680 to 768 pixels."

Can anyone translate for me? What don't they like about these shots?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...22&key=4142204

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...30&key=8735645
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
conrail1990

Its a box crop.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
KevinM

4:5 crops are perfectly OK on this site. I have a ton of them. Typical pixel dimensions would be 1024 x 819 or similar proportions. 4:5 is about as boxy as they will take. 3:5 is about as panoramic. I use both crops a lot.

Once in a great while, you'll get a rejection like that, where they've been taking a certain crop forever and all of a sudden, there's a red flag. Assuming you really have a 4:5 crop and the pixel dimensions don't exceed the site's limits, just hold it for a while and resubmit. You can appeal if you want, but I wouldn't waste an appeal if you appeal much. Minimize appeals at all costs.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
4:5 crops are perfectly OK on this site. I have a ton of them. Typical pixel dimensions would be 1024 x 819 or similar proportions. 4:5 is about as boxy as they will take. 3:5 is about as panoramic. I use both crops a lot.

Once in a great while, you'll get a rejection like that, where they've been taking a certain crop forever and all of a sudden, there's a red flag. Assuming you really have a 4:5 crop and the pixel dimensions don't exceed the site's limits, just hold it for a while and resubmit. You can appeal if you want, but I wouldn't waste an appeal if you appeal much. Minimize appeals at all costs.
Yes, it is exactly 4:5 (8:10 in iPhoto to be exact).
Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Yup, 1200 x 960. Very odd that it was rejected for that. I'd try a redo at 1000 x 800 and see what happens.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:23 AM   #6
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Yup, 1200 x 960. Very odd that it was rejected for that. I'd try a redo at 1000 x 800 and see what happens.
I'm going to try a 5:7 crop. PEQland here I come!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0099.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	8599  
Old 05-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #7
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Like Kevin I have a bunch of 8x10 images on here, because as an old black and white film guy I printed a lot of stuff that way. 8x10 has been a standard photo format since before most of the screeners were born, hell since before most of their parents were born. Some images work best at 8x10, other look better at 7x10. The subject matter should dictate the proportions, and it is too bad management here does not like square images, square is the ideal format for some images and looks fine on the screen in my view. Not everyone is trying to fill up a wide screen.

But I think your images are too large vertically, they are difficult to look at even on my reasonably big screen monitor. I limit the horizontal on my 8x10's to 950 pixels, and that keeps the vertical well within the limits that I feel looks "comfortable" on a typical screen. You can probably go a bit bigger, but I like a bit of "frame" around my images.

I'm a bit surprised at Kevin's comment about appeals. I do not hesitate to appeal although first I do ask myself if maybe the screener has a good point. I really do wish the rejections could be more "understandable". The PEQ should be expanded to "there is nothing wrong with this image other than I just don't like it, it is totally boring, or some such". I would much prefer that rather than some nit picking minor technical issue that most viewers would never notice.

Last edited by John West; 05-22-2014 at 03:33 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post

I'm a bit surprised at Kevin's comment about appeals. I do not hesitate to appeal although first I do ask myself if maybe the screener has a good point. I really do wish the rejections could be more "understandable". The PEQ should be expanded to "there is nothing wrong with this image other than I just don't like it, it is totally boring, or some such". I would much prefer that rather than some nit picking minor technical issue that most viewers would never notice.
I've also made my share of appeals...... I wonder why with my success rate being about 2/40. And really only 1/40, as my second accepted appeal shot has still not been posted, 6 days after it was accepted. After repeated emails to rp.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Hi John,

I think you and I are on the same page. When I get a rejection, I also look to see what, if anything, I can do to make the image better or satisfy the screener without selling out my original intent. If I can, I will. I try never to appeal just because I'm honked off over a rejection.

If I truly can't fix the issue without ruining the picture, and I really feel strongly that the screener missed the call, then I will appeal. Since late 2008, I have appealed 15 times. 14 of those were accepted, so I don't think I've abused the process or pushed the issue on any really marginal shots.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
...But I think your images are too large vertically, .....
Exactly.

I have to scroll down to see the whole photo - width is fine.

I do 1024 x 740, but your mileage may vary.

Quote:
I've also made my share of appeals......
I think an appeal may have some significance if you are already a HVC, but for the common person they are illusory as a realistic pathway to acceptance.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-22-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #11
Ron Flanary

There is no right or wrong way to crop a photo. It's just an RP.net "thing."
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #12
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
There is no right or wrong way to crop a photo. It's just an RP.net "thing."

But a crop that forces the viewer to scroll to see is kind of goofy, be nice if RP did dynamic sizing like Flickr.

Personally I prefer images that are 1024 wide, not 1200.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
But a crop that forces the viewer to scroll to see is kind of goofy, be nice if RP did dynamic sizing like Flickr.

Personally I prefer images that are 1024 wide, not 1200.
1024? That's like wallet size on a large monitor. http://forums.railpictures.net/image...n_rolleyes.gif
1024 is also useless for desktop wallpaper due to the crude image quality.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote