Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #51
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It does seem that there are certain types of shots where a timely screener comment may ultimately reduce screener time by lowering the number of redos.
I don't post as much lately here on the forums, but just my $.02, I think I've seen the screener comment in a non-appeal situation just once. It was a photo of a Soo SD60M ironically -

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 330794
Photograph © Carl Becker

I had submitted a wider angle version that had a pole's shadow at the bottom in the frame which got it rejected (distracting shadow). I sent in this version instead and whoever screened it thanked me for the better copy.

Personally I think this relates to another point - to me there's a difference between a "reject" and a "resubmit." To me, a reject is one that got rejected for something unfixable (backlit, bad angle, etc) and can't get in no matter what. A resubmit is once that got rejected for something piddly (sharpening, color, etc), and so it gets fixed and sent back and gets in. If rather than just complaining, issues could just be fixed and the photo sent back in corrected (I've done it a few times in under a minute), things could be a bit better around here. I've found that more often that not, it just comes back to taking the advice of the screener in situations like this.

On a side note, to me an appeal rejected w/o a reason simply means that the original screener's reason for rejection is affirmed. In other words, if you want to know more, ask about it on the forums.

One thought I've wondered about is on the upload form, if we could check a box saying that this is a resubmit of a previous reject, and enter the ID of the reject so the screener could immediately see how we've fixed it. For brand new users on the two photo limit, perhaps there could also be, say, one or two resubmits available to them once they've filled their two normal slots for the day.

~Carl Becker

Last edited by Carl Becker; 11-30-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #52
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker View Post
One thought I've wondered about is on the upload form, if we could check a box saying that this is a resubmit of a previous reject, and enter the ID of the reject so the screener could immediately see how we've fixed it.r
From what we have seen of the screening window, that would, I think, cause an inconvenience as they would have to click back and forth. And besides, just tell them what you changed, that is what I do, everytime.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #53
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
From what we have seen of the screening window, that would, I think, cause an inconvenience as they would have to click back and forth. And besides, just tell them what you changed, that is what I do, everytime.
Ditto, but if it's a reject for, say cropping, and the reject was a few days ago, they might not be able to find exactly what you did. Perhaps modify the screen window to show the side-by-side comparison if there was a "check the box" feature. If someone abused it, then revoke the right to it.

~Carl Becker
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #54
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker View Post
Ditto, but if it's a reject for, say cropping, and the reject was a few days ago, they might not be able to find exactly what you did. Perhaps modify the screen window to show the side-by-side comparison if there was a "check the box" feature. If someone abused it, then revoke the right to it.

~Carl Becker
If it's a few days old, the screener is looking at it with fresh eyes anyway. How often do you get "unchanged upload" or whatever it is, after a few days?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote