Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #26
AntD.

This one was one that I really thought would get views. I know its at 900+ now, but within the first week it was no where near it...

Image © Anthony Davis
PhotoID: 350758
Photograph © Anthony Davis

But, oh well... Still one of my favorites! Would've been better if the lead unit, CSXT 4617 was still in C&O paint at the time

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #27
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post

Image © Anthony Davis
PhotoID: 350758
Photograph © Anthony Davis
yep. that's a good one. Educational too!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #28
Smoke

I thought this one would do better:
Image © Andrew De Kruif
PhotoID: 331481
Photograph © Andrew De Kruif

Can you find my RP.net photos?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Speaking of, how does this Jean-Marc Fryborg guy get so many views?
Jean-Marc excels in getting spectacular landscape views, which when you look at the thumbnail, makes you think............'what the h**l is that' and click on it.

With such a great back catalogue, he has an RP 'reputation', so even his more humdrum shots rack up the views.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
Jean-Marc excels in getting spectacular landscape views, which when you look at the thumbnail, makes you think............'what the h**l is that' and click on it.

With such a great back catalogue, he has an RP 'reputation', so even his more humdrum shots rack up the views.
Right on, Steve. JMF is just following one or more of the tried and true principles of getting views on RP:
  • Shots of wrecks, women and stored power beat pretty compositions or great light every time. Doesn't matter how poorly lit or badly composed either.
  • Images that depict people interacting with trains are more popular than the sterile ones we all tend to shoot.
  • Legacy photos tend to do very well. They don't even have to be digitally enhanced. Even an old roster shot could beat the heck out of a well-executed contemporary digital photo.
  • A Plain Old Wedgie (POW) can get lots of views if the subject is something rare or newsy. If the shot is newsy, but not timely, the advantage goes away.
  • Really odd or stunning lighting has been known to enhance views.
  • Images in which it is difficult to fathom the details of the elements from the thumbnail are often view-magnets. As Steve notes, this is the technique JMF uses to great effect.
  • Having an "RP reputation" does indeed enhance one's chances that viewers will click. Again, JMF is a great example. There are dozens of others.
  • Heavily linking your images to well-patronized websites can certainly enhance your views. The enhancement is artificial however, as the links are typically blind ones. It doesn't tend to enhance the photographer's reputation, except possibly as a view-whore.
There are also some tried and true view-killers:
  • Head on or nearly head-on NS or CSX wedgies shot in non-descript locations with little else of interest in the frame.
  • Run-of-the-mill night roster shots...steam or diesel...doesn't matter.
  • Black and white will decrease views, no matter how compelling the image. It helps if the image is not contemporary.
  • Portrait format can be a view killer, as such images can be more difficult to view than landscape format, depending on the equipment the viewer has.
Occasionally however, one needs to just toss all of this out and say: "Screw the views, I just like it!"

I went B&W with these because I felt that it enhanced both images:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 363846
Photograph © Kevin Madore

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 362375

Yes, compared with my other rotary shots, it did kill the views, but they still did pretty well. In the case of the second one, it took only about a day for an editor for a National Magazine to ask if he could use it. He prefered the B&W version.

And then there are rejections. Let's look at some of mine:

Backlit....guilty as charged.
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 366519

I really liked the composition and processing. Fortunately an Admin accepted my appeal. Not bad views for a reject.

Busted for STP...ostensibly similar to my PoTW.
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 363625

A POW in-your-face wedgie to be sure, but an up-close portrayal of the power of the machinery. The hits just keep on comin'

Skewered for PEQ...I guess the Screener thought this was some sort of playground?
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 319956

Not bad views for something with Poor Esthetics.

So, there are some general guidelines you can use, but sometimes, you just have to go with your gut and let the chips fall where they may.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post

On most of his shots, I would agree with you. But some of them I see on the front page confuse me.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #32
Joe the Photog

Quote:
On most of his shots, I would agree with you. But some of them I see on the front page confuse me.
Not me. They see his name and automatically click on them. He's got some great shots on here. In fact, I think he needs to be banned.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #33
IHapsias

I surely expected this one to see more views, but 1,600 views is not bad at all.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Meanwhile this photo I did not except to be sitting at 1,200 views anytime soon.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

But oh well, I'm not complaining, they very easily could have been rejected and I wouldn't even be discussing the 2 photos.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

regarding JMF, you see his name and think, "there must be something spectacular there, I just can't see it in the thumbnail."
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
In regard to a couple of the photos mentioned above, people seem to be forgetting the following basic rule:

CSX=No Views

Jon
Balderdash!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 354790
Photograph © Jim Thias

Quote:
Speaking of, how does this Jean-Marc Fryborg guy get so many views?
By traveling the world and posting awesome photos of places no one on this earth has ever seen before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
regarding JMF, you see his name and think, "there must be something spectacular there, I just can't see it in the thumbnail."
Agreed. I see one of his pics on the front page and I automatically click on it. I know I'm going to see something I've never seen before regardless of how appealing/unappealing the thumbnail looks.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote