Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
crazytiger

Default What is the rhyme and reason to streak shot PEQ's?

I just got to PEQ's on streak shots I shot this morning. Are they warranted? What makes a night shot a PEQ versus a shot in the DB?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=851632&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1143337619
Can y'all help me?

Oh, and is this one legit?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4956927479/

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
jnohallman

As far as what makes streak shots work for the DB goes, I think they need to have something else striking in the scene. The streak itself generally isn't what makes the pic acceptable to RP.net. Sometimes the other element can be the way a signal bridge frames the streak. Sometimes it's a bridge, or a body of water. I think the challenge you face with your shots is that the scene surrounding the train really doesn't do much to add to the image, and the angle that you're shooting from doesn't make the signal bridge a major element in the composition of the photo.

As far as the rail image goes, it's a nicely done shot, but I have a suspicion that it won't make the database. Rail only shots seem to be a hard sell here unless the rail is particularly old, or there is something else notable in the image. A well composed shot of well mantained modern rail doesn't seem to catch their fancy. On the other hand, they might just take it. I think it depends on which screener you catch. You never know until you try.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
crazytiger

Two questions: Would a tighter crop work? and... Why has RP been dead (with the exception of that^^ post for like 8 hours?

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Holiday weekend.
All the streak shots are blurry, kinda wide, not very interesting.
The rail shot is ok and may have a chance.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

I think you might want to give that location a rest for RP's sake. Keep working at the shot, but I'm not feeling it for this web site.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

How many times are you going to attempt that same shot? If you keep it up, they are likely to chop your uploads.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
crazytiger

Can I understand why the location is going to get me in trouble? I was just trying to get it right. I'll be thinking of more interesting (both ways) locations.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I concur with the other statements and just give the streaks at that location a rest. There is no problem with the location, they just simply do not like your streaks. No need to continue pushing the issue.

As I originally said, I liked the shot, but think it needed a slight bit of contrast work. These new versions are also too soft. The first one is too dark in the foreground and leaves the shot sort of dull. The second one is more appealing in my opinion.

My comments are still irrelevant since the shot was hit for PEQ. I'd just take a break from that spot for a while.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

I tend to agree with Troy, truth be known. They're now giving all of your shots from that location PEQ, something they're "not willing to publish." I think you may be walking on thin ice repeatedly uploading the same (not literal same) shot.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I just got to PEQ's on streak shots. Are they warranted?
Night shots can get in and some streak shots too, But most fans what to see the train or SD what ever thats the power on it. Pretty photos without trains or streaks just don't normally do as well after posting. Sometimes there is a stand out shot that gets in but just because you or I like it most may not in there eyes. Keep working on them or you wont get better at it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Keep in mind that streak shots are difficult to do well, partly because they are more "art" than train pic. Most of them are very boring. The streak itself is just that....an (uninteresting) streak. What makes a streak picture interesting (if it is interesting at all) is usually what you see around the streak.

I rather like your rail shot because the lighting is great and the composition seems to work. It probably should get in. But again it is more art than train pic so it will all depend on whether the screener likes it.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
\ ..........What makes a streak picture interesting (if it is interesting at all) is usually what you see around the streak.
\.
EXACTLY! If they accepted every streak like yours (nothing of real interest besides maybe the signal bridge that's about it, and the angle is weird) this site probably wouldn't do too well. Like above mentioned, include interesting objects. Or my personal favorite thing to do now-a-days, making a night shot out of your favorite angles and putting a twist on them. Such as below :

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 336226
Photograph © Ben Sutton

As said in my caption, one of my favorite angles around the city. A little experimentation and it turned out to be a pretty cool streak/night shot. The twist, the array of different colors reflecting off the convention center (the curved rook building) from the nearby neon lights from the bars/clubs/etc and the lighting from the parking garages I was standing on.

Another way to think about streak/night shots, is it a simple underexposed wedgie shot? If so, go crazy to avoid that look!!! Get a little closer to that signal bridge, go wide, get some star action, etc!

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 320504
Photograph © Ben Sutton

No star action, but you get the point.

Another one of those "what would this great angle during the daytime look like at night?" shot.

Image © Ben Sutton
PhotoID: 320505
Photograph © Ben Sutton

Let your photographic eye go crazy and avoid the bad angled "underexposed" wedgies! Good luck! Hope this advice helps.

Ben
Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
crazytiger

I took another rail shot yesterday evening and I was wondering whether it was better/worse/about the same.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4960881345/

And a glint shot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4961475684/

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
Old 09-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #14
FAdams

I agree with Ben I think a streak shot needs a lacation not just blurry lights in a sea of darkness. I don't see much in your shot to work into the photo so maybe if you worked the area around the signal bridge a little tighter it would help.
Image © Franklin Adams
PhotoID: 286753
Photograph © Franklin Adams
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Cool

As it was stated before, YES, you need something other than a simple streak, however I seemed to have made it work with just a signal in the background.

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 336000
Photograph © Daniel DiFiore
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #16
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I like it pete, very well done. Give it a try, looks pretty nice. But remember, artsy shots are a toss up here, so don't get disappointed if it doesn't work out for you.

And Daniel, yours has some depth to it, has some nice elements. Although the OP's has the signals as an element, it's still not enough. To me the shot has a roster shot feel to it, ya know? Standing track side, perpendicular to the tracks and snap away. In my opinion, streaks should have a somewhat of a top to bottom feel or a near to far feel. Not so much straight across.

Ben
Old 09-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #17
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
I like it pete, very well done. Give it a try, looks pretty nice. But remember, artsy shots are a toss up here, so don't get disappointed if it doesn't work out for you.

And Daniel, yours has some depth to it, has some nice elements. Although the OP's has the signals as an element, it's still not enough. To me the shot has a roster shot feel to it, ya know? Standing track side, perpendicular to the tracks and snap away. In my opinion, streaks should have a somewhat of a top to bottom feel or a near to far feel. Not so much straight across.

Ben
Hmm....roger that.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #18
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

The first shot you submitted from that location (http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=396880895) is the kind of shot you need from there, in my opinion. I think it's outstanding. Unfortunately on all submissions the photo was soft/grainy, so it may need to be reattempted to gain better overall image quality.

The other 'streak' shots you linked pale in comparison to the low-light shot with the moving locomotive, which is why they were given PEQ.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
DWHonan

Agreed with others that streak shots should generally have something else in the scene; I enjoy working in bridges:

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 270207
Photograph © David Honan

(I won't bother to view-whore that other bridge-streak shot of mine, everyone's probably sick of seeing it by now.)

Quote:
I took another rail shot yesterday evening and I was wondering whether it was better/worse/about the same.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4960881345/
The technical execution is fine, but I don't like the composition; the left-most third of the image is effectively empty space since there aren't any stampings on the rail, whereas they're cut off on the right edge of the frame. Do you have any other views of the scene to work with where the "Tennessee" was (gasp!) more centered? If not, you could probably get away with cropping below the middle tie plate and chop off enough from the left to end up with a 4:3 or so aspect ratio. (Don't get rid of anything from the top, the thin line of silver at the railhead is sweet.)
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #20
crazytiger

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the comments, especially from you, Chris. I'll take that heavily into consideration.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
Old 09-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
crazytiger

The second rail glint shot made it.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #22
DWHonan

Job well done!
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #23
crazytiger

I also submitted the glint shot today. And it got the boot for Backlit. Is that terminal for this shot? Is there a way to make it acceptable or does it wind up in Flickr? http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=852268&key=0

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #24
coborn35

Also, instead of streaks, you can wait until the engine just gets by you, and have it illuminate the scene. That may or may not give that location another chance.
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 329642
Photograph © Max Medlin

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 328289
Photograph © Max Medlin
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #25
ME 488

Quote:
I also submitted the glint shot today. And it got the boot for Backlit. Is that terminal for this shot? Is there a way to make it acceptable or does it wind up in Flickr? http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=852268&key=0
The sun was too high for it to work as a glint shot, I'd say. The crop is also really tight.