Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
OBrian Harmon

Default PAQ on a heritage unit- is it worth the effort?

Tried to attempt something a little more creative than a 3/4 wedgie, but got shot down for PAQ. I know the power doesnt typically give a shot any more merit than the next, but I felt like this was a little more "artsy". Original link expired, so I'll post the file below. Is there anything I can do to save this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1071.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	9636  
OBrian Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
miningcamper1

You would need to do a ton of shadow recovery to even see that it's the Jersey Central unit. But that reveals the flare from the extreme backlighting. I don't see this being accepted here.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Joseph Cermak

I'm surprised it would get a PAQ. Seems a simple backlit rejection would suffice. Good to try something different, but I don't think this is going to get on RP.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
You would need to do a ton of shadow recovery to even see that it's the Jersey Central unit. But that reveals the flare from the extreme backlighting. I don't see this being accepted here.
Even if this could be overcome, the subject is almost dead center in the frame.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Quote:
Just noticed this one. Also extreme backlighting, but it's easier to spot the train.
Image © Nick Hovey
PhotoID: 662751
Photograph © Nick Hovey

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Just noticed this one. Also extreme backlighting, but it's easier to spot the train.
Image © Nick Hovey
PhotoID: 662751
Photograph © Nick Hovey
IMO the reason the accepted works and the rejected doesn't is the difference in the background behind the train. Simple and open in the accepted helps lend to a silhouette effect, lots more trees/shrubs/buildings that block the train silhouette.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
RobJor

I am kinda thinking a later frame with with the lead further left screening out or showing up against the white buildings, at the very least past the garage doors(I assume you kept shooting). A little shadow reduction and clear up the little flare in the foreground. I think it is a very attractive scene and with that light the saturated colors are believable, maybe could back off vibrance a little

Either that or move to Wyoming or Nevada and find a UP train .

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 07-02-2018 at 07:19 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
OBrian Harmon

Thanks Bob, and I actually have a shot that fits what you described. a problem I see with it is maybe the train is kind of cut of awkwardly on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1071sevenmile.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	9637  
Old 07-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrian Harmon View Post
Thanks Bob, and I actually have a shot that fits what you described. a problem I see with it is maybe the train is kind of cut of awkwardly on the right.
I think it's dark enough on the right to hide the train being cut off. While this is better than the first frame, I don't think you have enough "silhouette" to make it work, but that's just my two cents. Too much stuff in the background.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrian Harmon View Post
I am sorry, I don't know what you mean about being cut off on right but looking at the revised I'd think crop a little on the right to the elevator and off the bottom so the train does not bisect the image and also makes the train a little more prominent. Submit as new version in screener note, but since your original is out of recent history hopefully will not be an issue.

I think whenever you can get sun "rays?" shooting out like that is a special photo. Too dark may come up but hopefully not PAQ which is a real downer.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
ShortlinesUSA

"I think whenever you can get sun "rays?" shooting out like that is a special photo. Too dark may come up but hopefully not PAQ which is a real downer."

Those look more like a product from the lens caused by shooting straight into the sun to me. Typically, you will not see so many rays bunched together like that, and the "pillars" are generally larger. You'll also note the "rays" are present between the photographer and locomotive, which is another clue saying lens effect to me.

I do salute the OP for trying something different, but concur this one is not likely to be accepted into the database.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 07-03-2018 at 08:16 PM.
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
CSX1702

Hello fellow SW Ohio railfan!

(I still lurk around RP occasionally)

As for your shot, it looks like the sun was just too high and too strong for the type of picture you were taking. It's a shame that it didn't come by in the morning for you as that would've made a great shot at Seven Mile.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 07-07-2018 at 06:33 PM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
OBrian Harmon

Hi CSX 1702,

It's nice to see some other members who are local. As for the picture, I agree with you, a morning shot would've looked much better. Seven mile has many good spots to shoot from. As it turns out, this train apparently got held up because of a switch malfunction, so that caused a few problems. Had it not been for that, they would've probably got down this far a lot earlier. Still, I'm glad I got the shot I did. Cheers!