Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #101
TheOldMan

Default Tuesday Night's County Council Meeting

I watched Tuesday night's County Council meeting, and was surprised that the railroad, which I could not find on the agenda, was to be discussed, and the discussion had been changed from executive session to public.

Mr. Ken Pippin, President of Carolina Southern was at the meeting and spoke to the council.

Here is a link to one press report:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/business/...9bb30f31a.html

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #102
TheOldMan

Default Another Sun-News Story

Here's another Sun News story from yesterday:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...on-myrtle.html

And, the latest, in today's Sun-News

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...work-with.html

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #103
TheOldMan

Here's a link to the internet Trains magazine, of which I'm not a member, so I can't check it out and see if their story, saying that CSRR could be sold by September has anything new in it, or is just a repeat of the other stories posted above.

http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20New...September.aspx

Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #104
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Here's a link to the internet Trains magazine, of which I'm not a member, so I can't check it out and see if their story, saying that CSRR could be sold by September has anything new in it, or is just a repeat of the other stories posted above.

http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20New...September.aspx
Who would want it? Seems there is zero money to be made, or these shyster owners could have convinced someone to loan them money to fix the railroad instead of just sucking every last penny out of it until it literally fell apart. I hope someone goes after them for every penny they can. But they probably wont be able to because of corporate laws protecting owners in these cases.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #105
Joe the Photog

I think there is still some viable options there for new business as well as recapturing some of the old business. As far as who would want it, I have no idea and everything here would be speculation. I think we could all shoot down speculation from GWI or any other shortline holding company. Therefore, I think there is some local money cropping up somewhere.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #106
troy12n
Banned

^ Maybe Flav-O-Flav is a railfan?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #107
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
^ Maybe Flav-O-Flav is a railfan?
Damg, I should have asked.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #108
TheOldMan

Here's a link to another, different press report, on the Conway City Council's recent discussion of the railroad:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/loca...a4bcf6878.html

Old 08-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #109
TheOldMan

And, a link to an article in the Whiteville, NC News Reporter, by Alan Turner, who I met at a meeting of the Interstate Railroad Committe, in Loris:

http://www.whiteville.com/news/horry...a4bcf887a.html

This link is only to the first part of the article, and getting the whole article apparently requires a NR subscription. In the past I have tried to locate a rack for the News Reporter in my area, with no success.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 08-24-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #110
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Here's a link to another, different press report, on the Conway City Council's recent discussion of the railroad:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/loca...a4bcf6878.html
Quote:
Conway City Council agreed Monday night to chip in $500 toward hiring a lawyer to force a sale of the Carolina Southern Railroad.
How generous of them...
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #111
TheOldMan

Here is a link to another new report.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=939306

Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #112
TheOldMan

Default More Sun News

Here are links to two more recent Sun-News Stories, the first from Saturday of last week:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...d-take-up.html

And, the most recent from Wednesday of this week:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/201...on-likely.html

Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #113
troy12n
Banned

Can we not post anymore on this until they start pullng up the rails? There has been zero fact, and all speculation and silly governmental saber rattling. A heads up on the abandonment notice would be nice.

Last edited by troy12n; 08-30-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #114
ShortlinesUSA

It's pretty simple, Troy. Don't read the posts, because all you do is troll around on this and other topics trying to get a rise out of people. When is the last time you actually posted something useful in this forum, let alone this thread?

Nevermind we actually have someone willing to follow the goings on with the Carolina Southern, and who is kind enough to take the time to post what is going on for those of us who are interested. When is the last time you actually tried attending a public meeting to be informed on a topic, let alone thoughtfully read a news story without forming your own conclusion based on the headline?

When I actually see you post something useful, maybe I'll change my opinion on your usefulness here. How about an update on the Seminole Gulf? Or are they "shysters," too? You hate CSX by your tag photo. Might be time to reconsider why you're even into this hobby, when it all seems to make you miserable?

Do us a favor-- either contribute something useful or don't bother us with your nonsense.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #115
Joe the Photog

I appreciate TOM's posts as well as his desire to go to some actual meetings. I might would do the same if it were in my neck of the woods.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #116
ShortlinesUSA

Absolutely, Joe. Very few in this hobby would actually take the effort to do all TOM has done in following this topic. Thank you, Sir!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #117
TheOldMan

Thanks for the posts, everybody.

Troy, if I waited till the rails were being pulled up, to post any more on the Mullins-Whiteville-Myrtle Beach railrload, I'd be long gone, as a rider on the train at the reopening of the Myrtle Beach Depot said.

What I want to share with you other members, is some info I've uncovered in the minutes on one of the Horry County Council meetings, about the Federal bridge inspectors, and their next visit to Horry, Marion & Columbus Counties, which isn't too far into the future, and might pose an additional challenge to whoever may own the railroad in the years to come.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 08-31-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #118
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
It's pretty simple, Troy. Don't read the posts, because all you do is troll around on this and other topics trying to get a rise out of people. When is the last time you actually posted something useful in this forum, let alone this thread?
I post useful stuff all the time, maybe not in the shortline forum, but in others.

If you really read all the linked articles, there is really no useful info other than a bunch of country bumpkins bickering about a useless shortline and a carpetbagger swindler shortline owner laughing at their every move

Quote:
Nevermind we actually have someone willing to follow the goings on with the Carolina Southern, and who is kind enough to take the time to post what is going on for those of us who are interested. When is the last time you actually tried attending a public meeting to be informed on a topic, let alone thoughtfully read a news story without forming your own conclusion based on the headline?
I guess we can commend his diligence, even if the linked info is less than useful to date.

Quote:
When I actually see you post something useful, maybe I'll change my opinion on your usefulness here. How about an update on the Seminole Gulf? Or are they "shysters," too?
Again, take a peek outside of the shortline forum and you might see I post something insightful every now and then.

And yes, for the most part the SGLR owners are shysters too. And I have posted about them on their yahoo group

Quote:
You hate CSX by your tag photo. Might be time to reconsider why you're even into this hobby, when it all seems to make you miserable?
I dont really hate CSX, I got the funny avatar from csx-sucks.com, a funny website you should all check out

Quote:
Do us a favor-- either contribute something useful or don't bother us with your nonsense.
I will consider your request, and then likely disregard it. I also deeply appreciate your concern for my choice of this as a hobby.

Last edited by troy12n; 09-01-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #119
David Paschal

I have followed the saga of the Carolina Southern for a couple of years and I want to say that, as an old retired guy who would be hard-pressed to come up with fuel money to attend meetings, I appreciate the efforts of those that are willing to keep me informed of the progress, or lack of, of efforts to get this road running. Thank you.
David Paschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #120
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

If you really read all the linked articles, there is really no useful info other than a bunch of country bumpkins bickering about a useless shortline and a carpetbagger swindler shortline owner laughing at their every move

Except that it apparently wasn't useless to the businesses located along the line who now have to pay more to have materials transported by truck. But that's not really relevant when you've already made up your mind, is it? And is your belief that the people involved are bumpkins based solely on geography, or do you have some other evidence? It's very nice of you to try to take the place in the RP forums of good old Mike B.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #121
TheOldMan

Default CSRR Bridge Problems

Excerpts from the Horry County Council webpage, Committee of the Whole Meeting of October 11, 2011,where Mr. Jason Pippin, Vice President & General Manager of Carolina Southern, spoke to the committee.

I am transcribing this with more frequent paragraph divisions, otherwise, exactly as it was written, and with the same typo errors, possibly with some typo errors of my own, which I didn't catch, and two italicized phrases, italics mine, which I feel are the items of most importance.

The main point is that while Carolina Southern has been mostly shut down for the two years since the last Federal bridge inspections of August 2011, more inspections are due two years from now, in 2015, and bridge repair costs could be even more expensive than the current estimates.

Here is a link to the County Council webpage, for those who want to read the full text of the meeting. There is also a button for video of the meeting, that I did not click on.

http://horrycounty.granicus.com/Docu...785.pdf&view=1

From the minutes of the meeting, pp. 30-31, under the heading, Railroad Update, starting with Paragraph 3:

". . . the Federal Railroad Administration that governed them at a federal level had instituted some new regulations. Up until now there were no specific regulations relating to bridges for the railroad industry and they needed to catch up on that and they had done so. Most of them were being phased in and some were in effect now and some would not be in effect until 2015.

They had 187 bridges on the railroad when they considered the county railroad and the Carolina Southern Railroad over 100 miles of those two bridges. The overall condition of the bridges was good. The federal government came in and inspected 53 bridges and found issues with 7. Of those 7 bridges one was from the county railroad and they fixed that bridge immediately.

Mr. Rice asked why did they only inspect 53 out of 187. Mr. Pippin said they had four days to inspect and they kind of did a rolling inspection of all of them and did an actual inspection of 53. He guessed while they were riding over them they said this one is okay and that one looked like it had a problem.

The goal with the new guidlines was by 2015 all bridges had to be inspected by a certified bridge engineer and rated. What rated meant was that they had to be underwater tested and determined how much weight they could take for the next 20 years. It had to be done by 2015 so they were working on it. It was a long process.

The FRA came in and found those bridges critical and voluntarily stopped operations until they could fix the bridge and they did so because safety was important to them. They shut down the railroad on May 24th and worked on the bridges and completed just about all the repairs and reopened the railroad on August 3rd.

The FRA came back on August 24th and did another inspection. They commended them for the work they had done but said it was not enough. They shut down again and at that point they were not operating as a result of funding to fix the remaining bridges with a railroad that did not have any operations so it had made it difficult.

The overall condition of the county railroad on the other hand was fair. The county railroad had one bridge that was critical in Red Hill and they went over there and fixed the entire bridge immediately. Everything that was done the FRA came out and inspected it and was happy with so that bridge was complete.

They would be inspecting the rest of the bridges between then and 2015 per the FRA regulations. He was sure there would be more to do when they did that. With the condition of the county railroad as fair they had been replacing ties, putting in valves and fixing the bridges . . ."

Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #122
ShortlinesUSA

Wow, indeed some potential "great unknown" for anyone thinking about operating this line.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #123
Joe the Photog

There is a filing on record now with the STB in regards to the CALA.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/Filings/all.n...ILE/234719.pdf
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #124
TheOldMan

Joe, thanks for the link, which I clicked on and found a lot of very interesting things.

I was correct in guessing that Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad dba Carolina Southern Railroad is still the name used in legal documents.

I have seen the name CALA before, but don't think I've ever read any explanation of what those letters stand for.

Of interest was B&A dba CS having the option of filing for abandonment, although I could not tell from the filing if that option was still open to Carolina Southern.

And, if abandonment is still an option, would that be of any advantage to Carolina Southern?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #125
ShortlinesUSA

If other operators are truly interested in running the line, abandonment wouldn't happen, even if the Carolina Southern filed. All one of the interested parties would have to do is present an Offer of Financial Assistance (OFA) and the STB would not permit the abandonment, and the Carolina Southern would either be forced to sell the line to the party submitting the OFA or continue to operate the line. This is exactly why the system is designed as it is-- to prohibit operators who have no intent of running a rail line from arbitrarily abandoning a line another party is willing to purchase and operate.

Mr. Pippin knows this will happen, so there is a very slim chance you'll see an abandonment filing from them. What the parties involved in the filing are doing is petitioning the STB to essentially move it to the next level, almost as an abandonment has been filed, even though there hasn't.