Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
David Harrison

Default Will I Ever Get This Composition Down

They say use the "thirds"...Can I divide the photo into thirds...Sections: 1,2,3...4,5,6...7,8,9. Keep the center of interest out of #5. Didn't I do this?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...65&key=7398080
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
OBrian Harmon

It looks like the train is too close to the edge on the right. The trees take up more space than the train when you look at the image as a whole, and not just focusing on the train. That might be what they mean by rule of thirds.
OBrian Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
bigbassloyd

You can draw a line down the middle of the shot, and throw away the entire left side.

Loyd L.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #4
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
You can draw a line down the middle of the shot, and throw away the entire left side.

Loyd L.
Agreed. If you have some more to add to the right that could also be helpful.

ROT is more than just keeping the subject out of section 5. Generally you want the subject at one of the intersection points if you use lines to divide the sections, in this case the nose of the train should be at the intersection of the left and lower dividing lines.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 AM   #5
ShortlinesUSA

I've been watching your posts here for a bit, but have yet to say anything as I analyze your style and subjects. I feel I have seen enough now to make a few comments:

1. You shoot transit. These are trains, but a subject a pretty small percentage of the audience here is interested in. So there's strike one. Your photos are going to have to be above and beyond on a technical level.

2. The rejections you are posting so far come across to me as nothing but "grab shots." You have either grabbed a shot of another train you are passing while on transit, or while standing at a transit station.

3. The scenery in the areas you photograph is lacking (and that is likely beyond your control). So that makes the train the entire focus of your photograph. That's the killer, because the subject is something only a small percentage of the audience here is interested in, and places the screener's eye on looking for an exceptional photograph.

I only offer these observations because they are the types of lessons I have learned watching the forums here and having photographs rejected over the years. Participating here on the forums has only decreased the amount of photographs I have submitted to the site, and not because of feeling my material isn't any good. Rather, I have learned to be even more critical of my own work, and what I would have thought was an awesome shot just a few years ago will not see the light of day here at present.

So what I am saying is if you are pigeon holed into the subjects you are shooting, you need to strive to make them more interesting. Look to incorporate more "props" to make your photos more "railroady" such as including stations, signals, whatever. Also, the main purpose of transit is to move PEOPLE. Include some, whether they are working or riding. Transit is also typical of densely populated areas, so I am certain you can do more than photograph some MUs passing through a bunch of tall weeds, which is about as in depth as the linked rejected photo is.

So I hope this is a useful post. It's hard to express emotion through electrons, but please know I am writing this as nothing more than constructive advice. I didn't learn how to shoot photos overnight, and after shooting for over 30 years, still learn something here every day.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator

Last edited by ShortlinesUSA; 08-15-2018 at 01:46 AM.
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #6
David Harrison

A lot of ideas. Here's my adjustment. I half-ed the shot and included more on the right.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...20&key=7252320

Last edited by David Harrison; 08-15-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
A lot of ideas. Here's my adjustment. I half-ed the shot and included more on the right.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...20&key=7252320
Better crop / composition, but I see a Cloudy / Common.....coming next.

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
miningcamper1

I always cringe when I see an unprotected third rail- just outrageously dangerous IMO.
And whatever is that fourth rail for?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Better crop / composition, but I see a Cloudy / Common.....coming next.
That and/or poor image quality. Cropping out half the photo has taken image quality way down.

Michael
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
David Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I always cringe when I see an unprotected third rail- just outrageously dangerous IMO.
And whatever is that fourth rail for?
CTA and Boston both use the unprotected third rail. The fourth rail is a guard rail, placed within the track it helped keep any derailed truck from leaving the track structure. It also is grounded and is used to carry the electrical current back to the generating station. On elevated track there are two guard rails. Also there are two timber guard blocks placed outside of the running rails. Note the safety trip used by the flagger and its position net to the third rail.

Image © David Harrison
PhotoID: 291332
Photograph © David Harrison

Mberry, I agree about the cropping. SARConnecta, I see it coming too. Thanks all.

Last edited by David Harrison; 08-15-2018 at 10:00 PM.