Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Adorama vrs Mpix vrs?

Has anyone ever directly compared prints from M-Pix vrs Adorama?

Both appear to offer the same product and styles of prints though it seems Adorama may be significantly cheaper in price.

I've been very happy with M-Pix - place and order and it arrives faster then the products Wyle E. Coyote orders. In other words, within 48 to 72 hours, almost any product ordered. Quality is top notch, as is packing and I like the drop ship option. I like the "do not color correct" option as well.

How is Adorama's print quality and service in comparison? Exactly the same, perhaps, in quality? Do they have options for "drop shipping" and "not adjusting the color"?

Are there other services that might rate higher?

(Interesting - I need a 24X36 print in metallic which Mpix strangely does not offer yet Adorama does).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Mitch,

I have used Adorama a number of times and they do offer the option to either print exactly what you send them, or let them make adjustments. They will allow you to ship to a different address than your billing address, but your address will be seen by the recipient. No billing or pricing information goes out with the prints. They generally place them between a couple of sheets of foam core and shrink wrap them. I've never had anyone complain that anything arrived mangled.

As for quality, I can't say I've done any formal testing between their service and any others. Most of the prints that I've had them do were drop-shipped directly to customers. I have gotten direct feedback from the recipients, and they've all been happy....which is what's important in the end.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

I use Adorama for everything up to an 8x10, and Mpix for the larger prints. In side by side comparison, Mpix does a better job at correcting photos and both companies are very similar when no correction is applied.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I use Adorama for everything up to an 8x10, and Mpix for the larger prints. In side by side comparison, Mpix does a better job at correcting photos and both companies are very similar when no correction is applied.

Loyd L.
Are you saying your photos need correcting? Lol... sort of.

If they really do not, it would seem Adorama, though slower, is much cheaper. I noticed that Adorama offers a profile to download and run within Photoshop which is specific to the type of print you are ordering, ie; a different profile for Metaillic, Lustre, Matte, ect...

/Mitch
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Are you saying your photos need correcting? Lol... sort of.

If they really do not, it would seem Adorama, though slower, is much cheaper. I noticed that Adorama offers a profile to download and run within Photoshop which is specific to the type of print you are ordering, ie; a different profile for Metaillic, Lustre, Matte, ect...

/Mitch
I am saying that I took the time to research both companies fully before deciding on who to use. Why not throw them both a file that was off in some way just to see what happened?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I am saying that I took the time to research both companies fully before deciding on who to use. Why not throw them both a file that was off in some way just to see what happened?

Loyd L.
Well, not to get off track, but first - I need to send out a 24X36 ASAP and second, I prefer, what I see is what I get vrs what they see is what I get.
Course, that only follows through if what I see is what they see. Time for a calibration check.

I'm gonna assume? that Kodak Endura prints without color correctioning are likely identical - likely even using the same machine with the same presets.

/Mitch
Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Flowing

I have used Adorama for all my prints, probably have gotten about 70-80 done over the last 2-3 years; although a few have been for 'customers,' all were shipped to me so I have inspected each personally. They have only messed up one and it looked like a printer error (uneven lines). Otherwise they have all looked fabulous. I allow them to auto correct colors, to me they look exactly the same as what I upload. By far, the images I choose to print are JPEGs straight out of the camera with no processing whatsoever, in case that matters. Have never used Mpix so I can't compare, but I fully endorse Adorama based on my experiences. I only began getting prints there because I had already ordered lenses from there and thus already had a member account.

Last edited by Flowing; 05-04-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Mgoldman

Well - fingers crossed on a metallic 24X36 print which was not only significantly cheaper then M-Pix, but also a size that M-Pix did not offer in metallic.

One short coming, my M-Pix order would've arrived 3 days later on May 8th while my Adorama order is not due for another two days, a total of 12 days.

/Mitch
Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
let us know how it turns out.
I may stick with M-Pix.

Got the 24X36 metallic today - the metallic was not as metallic looking as a comparable result from M-pix, though it could be that the image was slightly darker. The time factor was nearly triple - for that size, anyway. My biggest gripe was the color - I sent the image requesting no color correction to both M-Pix and Adorama. M-pix came back warmer with a blue sky. Adorama came back slightly cooler but with a purple sky.

I may give Adorama one more shot and let them color correct and, also, attempt to match their color profile and ask not for color correction which would be an extra step not required when I use M-Pix.

I may ask for a reprint, too. Even though I did not use their color correction, I really think I should've gotten similar results to M-Pix.
Let's see how customer service handles this.

/Mitch
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Those are big prints. Are those from a full-frame digital camera?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
Mgoldman

Nope - they are from my 7D with "L" glass.

I did not actually expect someone to express interest in a 24X36" image. Consequently, I had to have the print shipped via my inspection rather then
straight to the customer. Hung on a wall, without up close inspection, the image actually looks pretty darn nice, especially considering the conditions.

/Mitch
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Those are big prints. Are those from a full-frame digital camera?
Using mpix, I had a 20x30 made of this shot which I took with my Rebel XT. The image & print quality are fantastic.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 218134
Photograph © Jim Thias

A full-frame body higher than 8mp should have no problem with 24x36.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #14
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Maybe someday I'll have something worth printing. LOL.