Old 07-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
amtrakboy

Default Does this one have any chance?

Hi guys!!
I have here a pic that I took this morning, as a test pic. I do know that it is "common power," and "cloudy." Yet, I wanted to throw it out at you guys to see what you think as to composition, "overall balance," cropping, etc. I intend to return to this location when it is sunny, early in the morning, to avoid the "high sun." All criticisms, suggestions, comments, etc., appreciated!! Pic has been downsized to facilitate uploading in the forums, so please overlook the image quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amtk79 copy.JPG (177.5 KB, 229 views)
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
Does this one have any chance?
No. Try again.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
amtrakboy

O.K.---Let's see if this image comes through. I have been having the problem viewing images on the forums--corrupted? etc? If this one doesn't come through, any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amtk79 copy.JPG (54.1 KB, 172 views)
Old 07-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
a231pacific

Actually it's a nice location and would be a good shot without the dead branch and the blob of green leaves in the top of the frame. Framing a shot often works, but this is more of an intrusion than a frame. If you can't break off the dead branch and the branch with the leaves, then take a couple of steps forward or kneel down to get under them.

How did you get the second attachment to work? I've been having the same problem you did on your first try.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
amtrakboy

Hi Michael(a231Pacific)!! I had to significantly downsize my image to 52kb to get it to work. I suppose that our attachments have been too big of late for them to work. Anyway, at the expense of image quality, I was forced to downsize. The more I review that image, the more I tend to agree with you about the dead branch and tree being in the way. The next time it is nice and sunny, I am going to reshoot, to exclude the branch. I love this location!! Thanks a million for your help!!! Happy shooting!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
O.K.---Let's see if this image comes through. I have been having the problem viewing images on the forums--corrupted? etc? If this one doesn't come through, any suggestions?

There you go. I agree with Michael about the branch and leaves. Although it's hard to tell because of the size of that picture, that DOES look like a nice location. Oh, and try to get the shot with the entire loco past the steel structure of the bridge.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
amtrakboy

Here is another shot at that same location, being that I fired off a burst of shots, as the train crossed the bridge. How is this one? For illustration purposes only, I cloned out the branches to convey an idea as to how I want it to look--similar to what it will look like if I duck lower to avoid the branches upon returning to that location to reshoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Eagle #79 copy.JPG (51.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Ween

Quote:
How is this one?
For the future, it looks decent. For this shot though, the sky would be way too blown out...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
a231pacific

To get the engine fully past the bridge girder gets the nose a bit close to the vegetation on the right. You may need to take a few steps to the left to open the gap back up. Play around with it, I think there's a nice shot to be had there.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
To get the engine fully past the bridge girder gets the nose a bit close to the vegetation on the right. You may need to take a few steps to the left to open the gap back up. Play around with it, I think there's a nice shot to be had there.
A GP would fit in there nicely.