Old 07-09-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
SD70MAC
HOBO

Exclamation Darn Dirt...

For about a month now I have had this little speck of dirt on the inside of my viewfinder glass. I have no idea how to get to it to remove it. Anyone here have any techniques on cleaning the inside glass of the viewfinder??
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
sdfan

Default Speck

Ryan;

If you have that speck in there, there may be more and it may be time to take the camera in and get it cleaned. I just did both my Nikon and twenty year old Nikkor, and the price was reasonable. The cameras certainly work better too.

Course I don't know how old you machine is, or how much it bothers you. I have thought about taking them apart myself, but didn't feel comfortable enough. The railside filth sure gets in them....

Take Care,

Brad
sdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
SD70MAC
HOBO

Hi Brad,
It doesnt bother me to much but I just wanted to see if there was a way to get it out of there. I have a Canon Digital Rebel so its fairly new. I might take it into a camera shop like you suggested. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Super2000

Definitely take it to a camera shop. If you try to do it yourself and don't know what you're doing, you might do serious damage to your camera.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #5
Wade H. Massie

Default dirt

There's a good chance your local camera shop will end up shipping it to Canon for repair. If this happens, you can expect two things. One, a lengthy wait for the repair to be completed, and two, a hefty repair bill.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wanted to forewarn you.

-Wade

www.WadesImages.com
Wade H. Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
SD70MAC
HOBO

Thanks Wade....I guess I will have to just deal with it. I cant go without my camera for any lengthy period of time
Old 07-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
E.M. Bell

Send a message via MSN to E.M. Bell Send a message via Yahoo to E.M. Bell

If the problem is just in the view finder, and doesnt show up on the image, Id have to say leave it be, at least till it gets a lot worse. You might try GENTLY blowing that area out with canned air (and from the rear, dont get that stuff no where near the sensor or the front of the body) or using a Q-tip to try to clean the outside of the view finder. I have had to do that a couple of times, and while it didnt get rid of all the stuff, it helped.

as said above, sending it off for a cleaning is time consuming and exspensive, wait till it really needs it before you do that.

http://www.jreb.org
NS Fourms http://jreb.org/ns
E.M. Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Pat Lorenz

Defanetly send it in for cleaning, do not atempt it by yourself, i am speaking from expeirance here, tried to do it and ended up messing up more than a speck of dust. try canned air, i wouldnt give it to a camera shop because they will charge more buy going through them and it will take longer, because its one more stop the camera has to make. I sent my nikon in by the web sites instructions and it took about a month and a half, but it was worth it. Or like stated before, just live with it, if its in the view finder, it will not effect any of your pictures, dust in a lens will.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:10 AM   #9
SD70MAC
HOBO

Thanks Fellas! I can grin and bare it for now.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
railfanzone

c'mon guys, it's not that hard, you're making it sound like brain surgery. I've done it a million times in my film SLRs and more recently in my 20D. Most likely the dust is on the bottom of the focusing screen, closest to the mirror box. Get a rocket blower, point it at the inside of the mirror box, pointed up towards your viewfinder with the mirror in the down (normal) position, and sqeeze away. The only thing you have to be careful of is the mirror - it's reflective surface is on the front of the glass, unlike most conventional mirrors, where the reflective surface is on the rear surface. Not only is it on the front surface, but it's very soft. Never touch it with anything... But it really isn't that hard if you're careful. I've cleaned my viewfinder a few times, and have also cleaned my snesor a bunch of times - both the rocket blower and swabbing methods. No problems here...again, just be careful....

If by chance it's above the focusing screen, then definatley grin & bear it...that's a bear to get out....

-Tom

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
SD70MAC
HOBO

Thanks Tom. I do have one of those squeeze blower things so I will have to give it a try.