Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
andy buckley

Red face Advice please...

well I had so many pictures rejected for poor quality in the past I thought it must be either me or the camera.

Two years later I'm back with a new camera (Fuji s200 EXR) and still getting rejections - this time for poor cropping.

So it must be me...

Grateful for any advice... here's the latest example:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Andy
andy buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
andy buckley

hmm - I'm sure there was a way of getting a thumbnail in the post - or does it not work for the rejected image list?

the full url is:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=925172&key=0
Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Paolo Roffo

It does look like a nice location. Cropping a lot off the bottom and right, and a little off the left might do the trick.

But I should temper the above by saying that the bushes obscuring the drivers would probably be a deal-breaker.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
nikos1

Dont crop anything, I'd appeal this one, if you crop you loose part of the reflection or the bridge. Its a very nice scene, regardless of the bushes obstructing the drivers.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Dont crop anything, I'd appeal this one, if you crop you loose part of the reflection or the bridge. Its a very nice scene, regardless of the bushes obstructing the drivers.
Appeal it if you want, but don't be shocked if they still shoot it down considering that those bushes are very obstructing of the locomotive... Should've brought a weedwacker or machete like the poster I quoted does....

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

I kind of like it as is too, If anything, you could take some off the left, and bottom. But as someone else said, I would not be shocked if they threw the "foreground clutter" reject on it at some point. And honestly rightfully so.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
andy buckley

Thanks for the comments so far - of course, machete-ing the undergrowth would require trespassing on railway land....or a boat and a lopper with a very long extension...

So - if I was to say that the railway viaduct is actually the subject (plus reflection of course) and the train is incidental to the scene.... would that work?

Last edited by andy buckley; 04-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Don't appeal. Sorry. This shot is not getting on. You did what you could, but the bushes aren't going away. To me, it's the position of the train more than Bad Cropping. Bad Composition, rather, since the train needs to be further to the left in the frame. This may have unblocked enough of the trucks to get this one on, but as is, I don't see a need for you to appeal.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
andy buckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Don't appeal. Sorry. This shot is not getting on. You did what you could, but the bushes aren't going away. To me, it's the position of the train more than Bad Cropping. Bad Composition, rather, since the train needs to be further to the left in the frame. This may have unblocked enough of the trucks to get this one on, but as is, I don't see a need for you to appeal.
I should have mentioned that this was one of a series of shots - I was experimenting with the camera's continuous shot mode. Is this any better? - it's the next frame after the one submitted...

btw this is an 'optimised' shot to save space - so not the highest quality

Last edited by andy buckley; 04-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
coborn35

Big deal about the bushes... its looks fine overall.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
andy buckley

Ok - I tried again using the next frame in the sequence (as per my post above) - train is more to the left as suggested by Joe and the loco's (largely) in a gap in the bushes.

Resubmitted - got the same bad cropping ding but now I have an unlevel horizon.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=925625&key=0

Once again I'd appreciate thoughts on this

Andy