Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
Mberry

Default Apparently rail busses aren't in

After the old 'fixable rejection, followed by killer rejection' typically rp switcheroo, I got a PAQ on this shot of a rail bus.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...14&key=5156705
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 AM   #2
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
After the old 'fixable rejection, followed by killer rejection' typically rp switcheroo...
Inevitables: death, taxes, and RP's quirks.

Too bad the railbus is not painted for Northern Pacific. It would be much more interesting than "City Hydro".

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Inevitables: death, taxes, and RP's quirks.

Too bad the railbus is not painted for Northern Pacific. It would be much more interesting than "City Hydro".
It spent most of its life in Manitoba and is preserved there so keeping it as is makes sense to me.

Here's an in-service shot of it I found online:
http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-w/winhd-rb00bgC.jpg
Old 09-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Interesting machine, and while the lighting is challenging, the image is pretty good for what you had to work with. Perhaps some fill flash would have improved things. I can't help but think the rejection had more to do with the really unattractive paint scheme, but that would require a new rejection reason.

Last edited by John West; 09-20-2016 at 04:04 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
miningcamper1

I did a quick b/w conversion with highlight/shadows/contrast adjustment. Looks pretty good IMO. No more ugly green. Why not give that a try?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Interesting machine, and while the lighting is challenging, the image is pretty good for what you had to work with. Perhaps some fill flash would have improved things. I can't help but think the rejection had more to do with the really unattractive paint scheme, but that would require a new rejection reason.
I pretty much agree with John's assessment. Images of rail-borne vehicles of all kinds get accepted here regularly. Some of them even do very well on views.

The problem here is that the paint-job on this thing is just not appealing and is nearly devoid of railroad markings. The lighting is also very uneven. The nose is bright, but the side facing the camera is dark. Some fill flash definitely would have helped. Sure, you could try going B&W, but the only thing that will fix is the color....and going B&W here is a sure view-killer unless the shot is superbly done.

Whether or not you decide to pursue this really depends upon what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for images to enhance your portfolio as a rail photographer, this one will not be a positive addition. if you really feel that the world needs to see a poorly-lit, documentary image of an ugly green railbus with no major historical significance, then by all means, keep trying.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I pretty much agree with John's assessment. Images of rail-borne vehicles of all kinds get accepted here regularly. Some of them even do very well on views.

The problem here is that the paint-job on this thing is just not appealing and is nearly devoid of railroad markings. The lighting is also very uneven. The nose is bright, but the side facing the camera is dark. Some fill flash definitely would have helped. Sure, you could try going B&W, but the only thing that will fix is the color....and going B&W here is a sure view-killer unless the shot is superbly done.

Whether or not you decide to pursue this really depends upon what you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for images to enhance your portfolio as a rail photographer, this one will not be a positive addition. if you really feel that the world needs to see a poorly-lit, documentary image of an ugly green railbus with no major historical significance, then by all means, keep trying.
Just trying to get a shot of it into the database, no more, no less.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 AM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
Just trying to get a shot of it into the database, no more, no less.
Hi Michael,

I meant no offense with my previous remarks. I was just calling it like I saw it. There are some shots that we should all probably save for our personal collections and I'd put this one in that category. Another way to look at it is if a magazine editor or other publisher was searching RP for images, would you want this one to be the first one he/she found with your name on it?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 AM   #9
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

I kinda like the idea of a B&W version. It is an interesting piece of railway equipment. Clearly the image is documentary not artistic, but it is an unusual and rarely seen piece of equipment worth documenting. The shadow/highlight tool can probably lighten up the shadows somewhat. Seems to me I have seen pix of it out on the line and it must have been in a more attractive paint scheme, or at least I don't remember the ugly green.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Michael,

I meant no offense with my previous remarks. I was just calling it like I saw it. There are some shots that we should all probably save for our personal collections and I'd put this one in that category. Another way to look at it is if a magazine editor or other publisher was searching RP for images, would you want this one to be the first one he/she found with your name on it?
Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with that.... Obviously it's far from my best effort, but some of my photos on rp will be some of my best stuff and some are just average/documentary photos. Clearly this photo would fall in the latter category. It would be the luck of the draw if a publisher ran into this shot versus one of my strongest shots on rp. Not every accepted shot will be a home run
Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #11
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I kinda like the idea of a B&W version. It is an interesting piece of railway equipment. Clearly the image is documentary not artistic, but it is an unusual and rarely seen piece of equipment worth documenting. The shadow/highlight tool can probably lighten up the shadows somewhat. Seems to me I have seen pix of it out on the line and it must have been in a more attractive paint scheme, or at least I don't remember the ugly green.
Perhaps I'll try a B&W edit tonight and see how it looks.

From the info I found, there are very few photos of it and it was retired in 1962.... If you know of any images of it, please do share.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
RobJor

My take on this is a little different, is there value for the database? I live near the Il Railway Museum so I notice photos from there like.

Image © Robby Gragg
PhotoID: 589909
Photograph © Robby Gragg

Nothing against this photo being accepted and I understand the relative interest and it is a good target pointed south and in the open.

There are 15 other photos at the museum like:
Image © James Schultz
PhotoID: 227994
Photograph © James Schultz

I see other examples(different subjects).

So what is my point? Does it have value for the database? If there is room for one of(I assume?) if there is room for many examples of others.
I remember the "fish car" thread with some similar arguments.

Is it ugly??? I see plenty of that. Color, it is what it is? Photo, maybe processed a little better??? I think it would have interest for viewers.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
My take on this is a little different, is there value for the database? I live near the Il Railway Museum so I notice photos from there like.

Image © Robby Gragg
PhotoID: 589909
Photograph © Robby Gragg

Nothing against this photo being accepted and I understand the relative interest and it is a good target pointed south and in the open.
A travesty (the condition of this locomotive).
Of course I know that museum resources are limited, especially when it comes to building indoor display space. But a unit that looks like something off the scrap line does no one any good.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
RobJor

They are continually building more barns and filling them up. The barns are very expensive. I would think that some type of open air covered structure could help. To some extent they are becoming more of a museum warehouse.The structures are OK I guess to store but lack viewing appeal, ie are tighter than the example above.

Bob
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #15
JRMDC

An oddity of life:

The vehicle is described as a "Mack Rail Bus." If one searches RP for "Mack Bus" (out of habit I excluded "rail" which isn't much of a filter) one gets two images. One is by Charles Freericks, of a former Mack rail bus converted to a Sperry testing car. The other is by his father!, an image from Roanoke with a Mack (non-rail) bus at the side of the frame and mentioned in the caption.

Interesting coincidence!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #16
Mberry

Well, my first try at a B&W conversion of it was accepted, thanks for the suggestions.

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 589997
Photograph © Michael Berry
Old 09-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #17
Decapod401

Glad it was accepted. FWIW, I believe that the correct term is "railbus". A search for "Mack Railbus" returns three photos, including two images by Charles Freericks, and one of mine. Maybe you would consider changing the locomotive description to show up in the same search.

Doug
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #18
RobJor

Glad it made it but lost all the "pop" whatever we think of the green. Now kind of grey matter? See how it goes compared to others at the museum.

Bob
Old 09-23-2016, 02:09 AM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Glad it made it but lost all the "pop" whatever we think of the green. Now kind of grey matter?
Looks like a grey-scale processing job to me. It could really use a good bit of monochrome processing using the channel mixer.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #20
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Looks like a grey-scale processing job to me. It could really use a good bit of monochrome processing using the channel mixer.
I have next to no B&W processing experience.... you've already lost me.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
It could really use a good bit of monochrome processing using the channel mixer.
Does KitchenAid make one of those?

But seriously, what would be improved/different about this shot if processed that way?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #22
RobJor

Maybe something like this?? I over did it for example and one could say it is less true???? than a straight conversion. But tried to tamper down the concrete foreground and introduce black to a B/W photo?

Notice the car in the background stays grey but the green car seems ready made for the channel mixer where you can change the green channel.

In P/S Image/Adj/ChannelMixer

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RailBus.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	577.8 KB
ID:	9256  
Old 09-25-2016, 04:11 AM   #23
lalam

It looks similar to one still in use here.
Image © Lalam
PhotoID: 529320
Photograph © Lalam
lalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
JimThias

Quote:
I have next to no B&W processing experience.... you've already lost me.
I didn't do any adjustments to your photo, so this is more or less to show you the channel mixer window for reference. You can adjust the sliders for each color (after selecting the monochrome box in the lower left corner) and get a much richer black and white conversion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	channelmixer.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	9257

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote