Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
philbrody54

Default RP not Publishing NS Heriatge Units Photos Anymore??

Hello,

I submitted two photos this morning of the Erie and Southern heritage units yesterday in Roanoke, VA and I received a rejection for a reason I would have never expected. I was told that my photos were, "- Poor Esthetic Quality: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish." Since when are NS heritage units not something that RP is wishing to publish!? Did I miss something??? They have been the most published units on this site since they were released. Here are the links to the rejections....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...17&key=8309023

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...18&key=4512743

Looking forward to reading peoples feedback

Brian
philbrody54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
MassArt Images

You are getting rejected for the open door. Rp's open door policy is No doors open in most cases.
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
conrail1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
You are getting rejected for the open door. Rp's open door policy is No doors open in most cases.
If it was in a yard I thought it would be okay. Did the rules suddenly change?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/429513
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
If it was in a yard I thought it would be okay. Did the rules suddenly change?

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/429513
Actually, the issue with the door is one of RP's Ten Commandments (though I'm not sure what the other 9 are yet). Thou shalt not post pictures of units with open nose doors. In the case of the accepted shot you showed here for comparison, it's not a nose door. You can get away with open cab doors on standard cab road units as well, but on wide-cab units, RP just won't take them in most cases.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
nikos1

Open doors are a non issue on standard cab units and especially on a switcher. Widecabs are another story.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Before we start comparing open door shots, let's take a look at the shot in question. It's a wedgie of a unit that can be shot on the road in better circumstances practically daily. The light is not perfect and there's not much else to look at. Yes, it's aggravating to get a shot rejected that you think should be on RP. Also, keep in mind that all rejections are based on what that one screener thinks of that particular shot. With all aspects of photography, it is subjective and the same rules do not always apply in the same way to different photographs.

The rejection is legit.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
Ron Flanary

Sorry, but neither shot is very good...open door or not. These units have been pictured, and pictured, and....yes...pictured again and again here. It thus takes a good image to make the cut, and I can clearly understand why these were rejected. No hard feelings, though...just stating my honest opinion.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
Ween

One last flog on the dead horse, but a new flog:

Sometimes the screeners will throw out the PEQ if they think the shot was taken while trespassing. I don't know the location/area from which the photos were taken or if the OP is a railroad employee, but a reasonable person, minus seeing a disclaimer in the Remarks section, could conclude these photos were taken on railroad property.

But, yeah, the PEQ's probably more for the open nose door than anything else...
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
PLEzero

Effective immediately, Railpictures will no longer be accepting heritage unit photos.

I'm not sure why you made that assumption because I don't see 'heritage units' anywhere in the rejection reason. The "low esthetic qualities" part is what you need to focus on. Honestly, both photos are not far off the mark but still... off the mark. The sun angle is a little off for a roster shot and both frames have awkward empty space on the right side. I do not mean to accuse you of anything but it does appear you may have been trespassing which could also be a reason for the rejection.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbrody54 View Post
Since when are NS heritage units not something that RP is wishing to publish!? Did I miss something???
Next time you see an open door on a parked locomotive, make sure to climb aboard and close it before taking a pic. That's one good way to avoid the PEQ rejection.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Yeah with the angle you chose the open door really becomes a distraction. With the heritage units, the point is seeing the whole scheme, the brown on the inside of the door clashes with the green.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
philbrody54

Thank you for the help everyone. I never knew that railpics had an open door policy like this. Next time I will ask the employee who told me it was alright to go where I went to take these pictures, to close the door. I think RP would benefit from adding a rejection reason that says open door policy in it if that is the reason. Anyway, now I know and moving forward....
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Next time I will ask the employee who told me it was alright to go where I went to take these pictures, to close the door.
Unless you know the person personally, I would not ask that. Also, keep in mind that a random employee probably doesn't have the right to let you onto private property. It would probably need to be a yard master or railroad LEO. You could get someone in trouble if you're not careful.
Quote:
I think RP would benefit from adding a rejection reason that says open door policy in it if that is the reason.
My opinion is they need less rejection reasons, not more (especially concerning poor lighting since if someone gets a High Sun rejection, they will argue it was not High Sun when really the lighting just sucked). A comment from a screener would be more appriate here.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
philbrody54

[quote=Joe the Photog;165142]Unless you know the person personally, I would not ask that. Also, keep in mind that a random employee probably doesn't have the right to let you onto private property. It would probably need to be a yard master or railroad LEO. You could get someone in trouble if you're not careful.

Joe,

Yeah I guess you are right. Getting permission from a person in NS hat and NS vest doesn't mean much seeing as I keep both NS hat and NS vest in my car at all times LOL

Brian
Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
JimThias

John, your shot has a crew member on the steps making the open door relevant. The human interest part definitely adds to the scene you captured with some really nice lighting. It's not just a roster shot with an open door like the OP's image.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
bigbassloyd

I'd photoshop a door shut before I'd pay somebody..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ns heritage units