Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #26
coborn35

I guess what pisses me off is when people come in here bitching and moaning about the same things we have discussed MULTIPLE times in the last month.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd View Post
So you'd think a halfway decent roster shot of an ex-NYC S2E would be good... no.

Or, triple-headed EBT in the snow in 1980 on a freezing cold sunny day? no. Got one in on appeal or a very slight re-crop.

But some generic Shade Gap Electric trolleys on a cloudy day got in on 1st shot.

If I had to pick, I'd submit the steam and skip the trolley's. But, that just shows I don't know what I'm picking

I just have no idea what the value set of the screeners is. I'm pretty sure trying to guess at 2 from 10 or 12 of what I think are roughly equal value is going to be a lost cause.

It is what it is, warts and all, I suppose.
It's hard to respond in a vacuum, as I don't have access to the shots that didn't get in, but as soon as you say "halfway decent" I am guessing that there was some major issue (like bad high sun, blur, or cropping that cuts off the equipment). The EBT triple header - a tourist operation that is still in existence - will be under similar rules to today, I would think, and the fact that it got in after you made a crop, shows that they saw a real cropping issue. The Shade Gap trolley shots are nicely framed. They are not the best quality no - and I would guess those got in because you had a screener who took them for the nostalgia and the fact that Shade Gap is gone (even if those trolleys still exist at Rockhill).

When you make the comment about picking the steam over the trolleys, I get confused. Aren't you sharing your images for the fun of sharing them? If you don't like something, don't sumbit it just because you think it will get in. Submit stuff you want to share.

It's honestly not that hard to figure out what the screeners want. I say this as someone who still gets a fair share of rejections, but that is because I keep trying with things like rainy day shots of trains still far down the line. I do this because I look at the shots and find myself impressed with what I did and liking them - so I give it a go and fail.

If - however, someone said, submit five pictures a day for the next two weeks and you can't have a single rejection - it would be very easy to do. I'd grab well let images that followed the rule of thirds and have it. But I'm not trying to get as many pics on as I can. Rather, I'm trying to show the stuff that I look at when editing and say "wow, that came out cool..."

I would encourage you to keep submitting. I'm loving what you have up here and it's really a blast to see how many places that you and I covered the same ground (and frankly, you were a far better photographer than I was when you were doing it).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
It's hard to respond in a vacuum, as I don't have access to the shots that didn't get in, but as soon as you say "halfway decent" I am guessing that there was some major issue (like bad high sun, blur, or cropping that cuts off the equipment). The EBT triple header - a tourist operation that is still in existence - will be under similar rules to today, I would think, and the fact that it got in after you made a crop, shows that they saw a real cropping issue. The Shade Gap trolley shots are nicely framed. They are not the best quality no - and I would guess those got in because you had a screener who took them for the nostalgia and the fact that Shade Gap is gone (even if those trolleys still exist at Rockhill).

When you make the comment about picking the steam over the trolleys, I get confused. Aren't you sharing your images for the fun of sharing them? If you don't like something, don't sumbit it just because you think it will get in. Submit stuff you want to share.

It's honestly not that hard to figure out what the screeners want. I say this as someone who still gets a fair share of rejections, but that is because I keep trying with things like rainy day shots of trains still far down the line. I do this because I look at the shots and find myself impressed with what I did and liking them - so I give it a go and fail.

If - however, someone said, submit five pictures a day for the next two weeks and you can't have a single rejection - it would be very easy to do. I'd grab well let images that followed the rule of thirds and have it. But I'm not trying to get as many pics on as I can. Rather, I'm trying to show the stuff that I look at when editing and say "wow, that came out cool..."

I would encourage you to keep submitting. I'm loving what you have up here and it's really a blast to see how many places that you and I covered the same ground (and frankly, you were a far better photographer than I was when you were doing it).
I'll keep going - at 2 day, but I think I'm not going to try to play the guessing game. I'll just upload the stuff I really like and take what comes!

To my eye, about 1/2 of the rejects are equivalent to or better than most of my recent accepted photos. I'll have to upload them all somewhere so they can be seen. Maybe Picasa and I'll do a blog or something.

It's funny you mention the rule of thirds being a guaranteed way in. I had a couple rejected for cropping that I appealed based on the rule of thirds (that's how I figured how to crop them in the first place!) that got in on appeal where I pointed that out.

A classic reject will be a train entering a super-elevated curve without a decent horizon, building or other structure, other than the sides of the train still on the tangent, to judge whether the shot is level or not. Even after I've scrupulously rotated the shot so that the car sides in the tangent are vertical most of the time it'll get rejected for not level. But, about 2/3 of the time I've had success explaining. I'm sure at first glance, they appear out of kilter because of the super-elevation.

I think they could stand to add a "not worth it - don't bother" reject reason. Would save a lot of time and trouble for a lot of people. (There might be nicer wording, though...)
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
Freericks
Met Fan

On occasion, they will be click about ten different reasons for the rejection. This is there way of doing that, I believe.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
On occasion, they will be click about ten different reasons for the rejection. This is there way of doing that, I believe.
Still bitter, Charles?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #31
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Still bitter, Charles?
I'm actually told I'm quite sweet, with a touch of a tangy quality... never bitter.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #32
JRMDC

Quote:
I'm actually told I'm quite sweet, with a touch of a tangy quality... never bitter.

I don't care to hear about your personal life, thank you very much!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #33
Freericks
Met Fan

See, I would never have even gone there.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #34
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
You will lose your ability to appeal. i haven't been able to appeal since February 2009.
Bingo! You have company...

Man! No yellow card. Straight to red card.

Last edited by oltmannd; 04-30-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #35
oltmannd

Quote:
I guess what pisses me off is when people come in here bitching and moaning about the same things we have discussed MULTIPLE times in the last month.

ya think?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #36
coborn35

See if you would have looked at old threads you would have learned from my mistake!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
oltmannd

Quote:
See if you would have looked at old threads you would have learned from my mistake!
Double secret probation for me....