Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #26
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Sure it may be mostly nostalgia. Is that a bad thing?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
The shot does nothing for me personally, and, frankly, I wasn't seeing where all the love for it was coming from. But, to each his own...
I think you have to be a man of a certain age to appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #28
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I think you have to be a man of a certain age to appreciate it.
But one can be of that age and still not appreciate it! I think it is a compositional and technical muddle, with nostalgic interest. Just another opinion. I was puzzled by the extensive fawning (maybe the wrong word, too lazy now to do better) over the shot, still am to some extent.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 07-21-2012 at 03:11 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #29
Dennis A. Livesey

In the end, it is all about the hardware. There are many facets to railroading and it's hobby but that one is the main reason we are all here.

Good point asking if the shot was taken now of an NS unit and would it be accepted. No it wouldn't because of the flaws that everyone, even it's admirers acknowledge. Nostalgia is probably what blinds us, the shots fans, to those flaws.

But then I would counterargue that a heritage scheme that causes rabies amoung many here is often nothing more than a routine wedgie shot of a locomotive. Really, would you bestow "Best of The Net" status for most of the heritage scheme loco shots presented here?

To be clear, I don't think the OP shot is the greatest shot of all time. But it is a view I have never seen of a fav road paint and loco. Rather than the quality of the composition or the color, that rare view is what I enjoyed.

For this shot then, just like heritage wedgies, it comes down to the hardware and what excites you more.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
oltmannd

I messed with the color and resubmitted...we'll see.

Certainly, there's a big difference between taking a picture like this today and doing it 35 years ago namely, film cost real money (particularly to a college student) and it took a week to see what you got.

A few of us were prowling around the enginehouse in Mechanicville on Labor day. The place was deserted and all the locomotives were shutdown. We got a bit brave and climbed up on an ex-LV GP38 that had the cab door left open. We kind of kept one eye out and didn't linger too long.... I was probably shooting 100 (or 80?) speed Ektachrome at the time and had my 50mm fixed lens on the camera. I saw the shot, knew that depth of field was the issue, so I set shutter speed as low as I dared, probably 1/60th, focused on the nose of the C628, and then set the aperture by metering off the loco nose using the spot meter setting on the camera. Framed the shot - click - wind, then got the heck of the locomotive...and then had to wait a week for the mailer to come back (or longer if I finished the roll at a later date).

There were always a bunch of "I wish I'd..." and "how'd I mess up that" with each roll that came back, but there were always a several "keepers", and occasionally a wart free "perfect" shot. I'd call this one a "keeper", warts and all.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #31
oltmannd

Nope. PEQ again. C'est la vie.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Lets see it out of curiosity.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #33
Dennis A. Livesey

It not a sunny digital wedgie. Thus RP does no like it.

Personal file for you.

But thanks for sharing 'cus I liked it.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #34
Freericks
Met Fan

Now appeal.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Now appeal.
Would if I could.

I have been liberated from the joy of appealing for about a year now...
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #36
oltmannd

A more standard view of a sister...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=404313&nseq=0
Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #37
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd View Post
A few of us were prowling around the enginehouse in Mechanicville on Labor day. The place was deserted and all the locomotives were shutdown. We got a bit brave and climbed up on an ex-LV GP38 that had the cab door left open. We kind of kept one eye out and didn't linger too long.... I was probably shooting 100 (or 80?) speed Ektachrome at the time and had my 50mm fixed lens on the camera. I saw the shot, knew that depth of field was the issue, so I set shutter speed as low as I dared, probably 1/60th, focused on the nose of the C628, and then set the aperture by metering off the loco nose using the spot meter setting on the camera. Framed the shot - click - wind, then got the heck of the locomotive...and then had to wait a week for the mailer to come back (or longer if I finished the roll at a later date).
You have an incredible memory for detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd View Post
Nope. PEQ again. C'est la vie.
Typical for a trespassing shot.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #38
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You have an incredible memory for detail.

Typical for a trespassing shot.
I probably remember the detail because I was....uh...."wandering around without expressed permission". Although the shop guys and train crews at Mechanicville were generally tolerant of railfans, we'd have probably been run off if we were caught in the cab.

It was quite a bit different back then. What would get you arrested today, often was more than just tolerated then, particularly on the D&H.

Last edited by oltmannd; 07-24-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #39
Freericks
Met Fan

Mechanicville was fairly tolerant (although I think you're right, they would have not been happy to find you in the cab). Colonie actually let you pay $1 (I think) and then you had free run of the place (although I wouldn't get into a cab). I don't remember being bothered at Oneonta, but can't say one way or the other.

D&H was generally railfan friendly, as I recall.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote