Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #51
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
One thing that I didn't realize (since it's not a feature I'm interested in) is that the D300 has live view.
I wasn't interested in Live View until last week. See here:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8756
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #52
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
What will differ is the quality of the sensor behind the lenses. And sure, the Canon 5D II may exceed the 40D in image quality, but the 40D will probably exceed an older full frame body, such as the Canon 1Ds.
To an extent...everyone I've asked who has shot with both a 40D and a 5D says the 5D still blows the 40D out of the water in terms of image quality. Granted, I haven't tried this myself, so it's hearsay at this point...

Regarding the magnification argument, the quality issue for 200 vs. 300 should only be an issue when you're cropping a photo shot at 200mm to look like it was shot at 300mm in Photoshop, since you're losing some actual resolution them. A high quality lens, such as Nikon's 70-200 F/2.8 VR (a friend has this and a D300, and after seeing the results, it *almost* made me want to go Nikon...almost...) shouldn't itself have any difference in quality on a cropped body or a full frame body. In terms of quality, for this specific scenario, I think it's more dependent on the body itself, and especially if you're cropping the photo after the fact.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #53
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I wasn't interested in Live View until last week. See here:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8756
Prehaps if you use AF lenses. I use old fashioned manual prime & telephoto lenses... 99% of my focusing is at infinity, so there's no focusing required. I've had people think I must be some type of focus dynamo for being able to get good shots from my equipment, but it really requires alsmost no effort. What little night shooting I've done (all ambient light with a Nikon F3 shooting slides) has not required any though as to focus.

I'm not exactly a prolific night shooter.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #54
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
assuming the lens quality is equal, the 300mm lens should give you more detail than the 200mm when shooting a distant object.

Jon
If the 300 is on a full frame, yea. But still if all your doing is posting to RP thats a whopping 1024 pix wide, so if your not making poster prints a 1.5 crop is fine and a 200 looks like a 300. Save the cash for that trip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #55
lock4244

Loading a RAW file from the D300 is crashing CS3. I wonder if it's due to the larger file size? The RAW files from my D200 have never caused a problem at their 15MB average size. The RAW from the D300 are coming in at around 25MB. It's always something...

More Pics Here
Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #56
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Loading a RAW file from the D300 is crashing CS3. I wonder if it's due to the larger file size? The RAW files from my D200 have never caused a problem at their 15MB average size. The RAW from the D300 are coming in at around 25MB. It's always something...
You need a new adobe raw more likely

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #57
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
You need a new adobe raw more likely
Oh... plug in? Can CS3 handle it? Added cost, no doubt...

More Pics Here
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #58
JRMDC

Quote:
Oh... plug in? Can CS3 handle it? Added cost, no doubt...
No, Adobe Camera Raw is a part of PS CS, albeit one downloads (free) updates separately. For CS3, version 4.3.1 (or later) will do the D300
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3822

But that is not the most up to date version, probably 4.6 is
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4036

Don't download the 5.x versions as those are for CS4. Explore it all yourself; I just puttered around for a few minutes.

Should you ever upgrade cameras, you will eventually find that CS3 will not support the raw because support for newer cameras is only provided for the latest general version. For example, my PS Elements 3 will not do raw conversion for lots of recent cameras; a reason to stick with my 20D for a good while longer.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #59
lock4244

Thanks, Janusz. I'll give it a whirl Monday when I get home. Never even thought about the software I was using causing an issue with a new camera. Again, it's always something...

More Pics Here
Old 12-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #60
lock4244

Having played with my new D300 in the snow, I must say it seems a vastly superior camera to the D200... which I thought was pretty decent. I haven't been home yet, so I have not seen the shots on my PC, but the shots taken with the D300 seem alot sharper that the D200... using the same manual lenses, too. That larger LCD screen on the D300 may be partially responsible.

The burst speed on the D300 is superior to the D200 as well. Using a 30mb/sec CF card, the D300 can burst 18 shots (in the field, full sun with snow on the ground, equipped with the MB-D10 battery/grip) before filling the buffer! Using a 20mb/sec CF card, that number became 15. Fastest I noted it shooting in terms of shots/sec was five... F8 and F11 at 500 to 640. I know that seems superfluous to most peoples needs, but really handy when shooting trains busting snow drifts and snow banks.

I would have to say based on price, I don't think the full frame is worth the money for the purposes of railfan photography. I was shooting a scene (as a test) with the edge of the viewfinder up against a corner of the building. Looking at the resultant image, you see some more of the structure. I can't see how adding a bit to the finished product could justify the expense for what we do... especially considering most of us crop some of the image in editing.

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 12-22-2008 at 10:01 PM.