Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
miketer

Default No Idea

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...13&key=1791162

When I first submitted this photo earlier, it got rejected for underexposed which I fixed and re-submitted shortly after. I'm not surprised however, it was going to get rejected for something else right after I fixed the first problem.

Sure enough it got rejected for bad cropping and contrast. The bad cropping I kind of knew was next. I was trying to be a bit creative and got the group of people and the train in the background on one side of the frame, and the train on the other. My first guess why it got bad cropping was because perhaps there's not enough room on the left side, but I could be wrong. I probably am because it would put the train more closer to the centre of the frame, this is also not the original, it's the edited version. As for the bad contrast, I have no idea.

Help appreciated as always, thanks!

Michael

My photos on RP

Last edited by miketer; 02-22-2013 at 03:43 AM.
miketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Cameron A. Photography

Send a message via MSN to Cameron A. Photography

I'd take off a lot of the right...

cam

The RP
The Flickr
Cameron A. Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
jac_murphy

If I may make one quick correction about the caption, Michael - the dual-mode that derailed in Central Station was running in diesel mode. Following the event, CN banned the units from service on their lines until the results of the investigation by the TSB (Canada's answer to the NTSB, for our Southern neighbours) while CP, after some delay, allowed them. Since the only electric line is under CN's control... well...

Unfortunately, I don't know how to help with the rejection. I think it might've looked better if you had shown a bit more of the train on the right, though - right now it looks somewhat awkwardly cut off.

-Jacques

Last edited by jac_murphy; 02-22-2013 at 02:36 AM.
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
miketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron A. Photography View Post
I'd take off a lot of the right...

cam
Until how much Cam, perhaps crop out the telephone pole?

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy
If I may make one quick correction about the caption, Michael - the dual-mode that derailed in Central Station was running in diesel mode. Following the event, CN banned the units from service on their lines until the results of the investigation by the TSB (Canada's answer to the NTSB, for our Southern neighbours) while CP, after some delay, allowed them. Since the only electric line is under CN's control... well...

Unfortunately, I don't know how to help with the rejection. I think it might've looked better if you had shown a bit more of the train on the right, though - right now it looks somewhat awkwardly cut off.

-Jacques
Ah thanks Jacque for the correction! I wasn't 100% sure about that. I just went by what I could remember about the particular incident with those units. As for the train on the right, I was literally at the crossing gate so obviously I couldn't move anymore to the right without trespassing. I think what you mean when it's "awkwardly" cut off is the left side on the station platform light, which I can definitely see. If that's the case, thankfully the original has tons more room on the left side.

Michael

My photos on RP

Last edited by miketer; 02-22-2013 at 02:47 AM.
miketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
jac_murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketer View Post
Ah thanks Jacque for the correction! I wasn't 100% sure about that. I just went by what I could remember about the particular incident with those units. As for the train on the right, I was literally at the crossing gate so obviously I couldn't move anymore to the right without trespassing. I think what you mean when it's "awkwardly" cut off is the left side on the station platform light, which I can definitely see. If that's the case, thankfully the original has tons more room on the left side.

Michael
Mo West is my home town; I know exactly where you were standing.

What I had in mind with my earlier post was perhaps to take the photo a second earlier, without letting the train on the left get so far forward in the frame.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote