Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
bigiron

Default "Similar to previous photo" Ummm no..

Ok, I submitted several shots of a derailment that took place from a loaded coal train and had the first two shots accepted after some cropping issues and then the final shot was denied with the "similar to previous photo" rejection. Here is the shot in question and wondering what opinions there are on the reason.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...58&key=2200741

My thoughts are the only thing similar is the fact it was the same derailment but it is the only shot showing the two cars on the bridge and the first actually leaning up against it. In the first two shots it was showing how one car was rereailed and the last shot was to show what lies ahead for the crews to just clear the line of the cars and to me it leaves part of the story untold. I did appeal and will await their thoughts but will finish by saying I have seen plenty of shots of the identical train just shot a few miles down the rail in similar surroundings and view to make it on time after time which makes me scratch my head on this reason. I know it's their call but it's another case of inconsistant reasoning during screening, IMO.

Well if it doesn't make it on at least you'll see the third image to complete the story some more.

Thanks for your thoughts, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Wow, Rich - if you had a few more, you could simply upload them all to Rail-videos.net!

I think RP is looking for different views and perspectives, not a chain of events which would be hard for most to follow unless they specifically looked chronologically at only your images.

Other side might be more their preference (though it took me several years to get two sides of a derailed steam engine display at a Museum).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Wow, Rich - if you had a few more, you could simply upload them all to Rail-videos.net!

/Mitch
Mitch, good one but I'll pass on Rail-Videos after reading several responses from long time contributers here and focus on pictures, lol. I do have videos of most of my shots but that will be another day and who knows what site... Thanks for your insight, I was hoping for a dog to include in the scene but no luck!

Rich
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

The screeners actually missed one.

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 428294
Photograph © Rich Clark

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 428273
Photograph © Rich Clark
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

You can't win with this one.

I would link the threads where this issue was discussed in the past, but I am not on a computer.

Suffice it to say, just wait a few weeks and submit.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
KevinM

I dunno folks, about a year or perhaps a year and a half back, another New England contributor submitted a seemingly endless stream of shots of the same derailment in the Concord, NH area. It too appeared to try to chronicle the process of removing/rerailing the wreck, although it was somewhat better lit and featured somewhat more interesting scenery. With 5 Screeners, there is always going to be some variability in taste and judgement.

Then again, there may be one Screener who is not fan of derailments/wrecks. They are not the best publicity for the railroads or the people involved. I guess if I had a traffic accident, I'd feel bad enough. I wouldn't need to see hi-res photos on the internet to keep reminding me...and the rest of the world....of my bad day.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The screeners actually missed one.

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 428294
Photograph © Rich Clark

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 428273
Photograph © Rich Clark

Joe, you lost me with the above quote, could you please elaborate? The two that got on are showing two different aspects of the rerailing if that is what you meant.

Thanks, Rich
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I dunno folks, about a year or perhaps a year and a half back, another New England contributor submitted a seemingly endless stream of shots of the same derailment in the Concord, NH area. It too appeared to try to chronicle the process of removing/rerailing the wreck, although it was somewhat better lit and featured somewhat more interesting scenery. With 5 Screeners, there is always going to be some variability in taste and judgement.
Kevin, besides wrecks there have been plenty of basic freight train photos that except for a different curve or slight scenery change the same wedgie of the same train get accepted in the order of many shots sometimes. So it applies to all shots not just wrecks in my view.

Quote:
Then again, there may be one Screener who is not fan of derailments/wrecks. They are not the best publicity for the railroads or the people involved. I guess if I had a traffic accident, I'd feel bad enough. I wouldn't need to see hi-res photos on the internet to keep reminding me...and the rest of the world....of my bad day.
While I agree with you statement in theory, I also think sometimes bad press is a needed WAKE UP call in situations where the status quo needs to change, IMO. In this case NS runs a top notch company and it's too bad their equipment and name are on the cars but they have done much good towards helping PanAm get more business with major upgrades on the Western end of the mainline and having several new trains added, but the writing has been on the wall that resources need to be spent to upgrade areas not addressed yet. The Northern Mainline from Ma. to the Concord area (some 40 miles) is basically now a solid 10 mph run and it used to be 30-35 in many places but with minimal work the speeds have decreased all over. The area where the oil train derailed in Maine the same day is also a 10 mph zone and to me good paying freight revenue is at stake of being lost if changes aren't made as trains are hauling the same oil in Canada. Maybe a big pinch in the wallet is what it will take but I hope not.

Maybe the talk of a possible Amtrack route to the Concord area has PanAm hoping the work will be funded otherwise but that may never happen and at some point actions speak much louder than words. I'm glad no one was hurt in the accident but a more visible commitment needs to be shown if new business and the current business will stay using the RR as their means of delivery. So, even though some may not like the accident pictures, they can provide a tool for learning and a motivation to get involved more, IMO.

My 2 cents, Rich
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
Joe, you lost me with the above quote, could you please elaborate? The two that got on are showing two different aspects of the rerailing if that is what you meant.

Thanks, Rich
The two shots are shot from perhaps the exact same spot and show the same perspective, same compositional elements. The freight car in the middle is now shifted 20 feet, or whatever it is. The two shots are substantially the same as general RR photographs.

RP is generally not about documenting each step of a lengthy process, it is about photos, sometimes labelled "best." For purposes other than documenting a multi-step rerailing operation, the two shots are not much different. So in RP terms "similar to previous" applies and you got lucky to get them both on at about the same time.

It's not a big deal and to my knowledge no one is writing righteous emails to RP admin demanding the removal of one of the shots!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 03-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote