Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
DelmonteX
Senior Member
 
DelmonteX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 214
Default Heat distortion reject - Help!

A new reject reason for me - Heat Distortion.

My vision for this shot included heat wave distortion of the mountain, but I also got a lot of general heat distortion that affected the train, rails, etc.

I'm assuming that's the distortion that wasn't appreciated.

Is this a result of inferior equipment? Would I get the same results with say a 40D and a good lens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060164c_rp_sml.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	2068  
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

The overall image quality looks poor, almost more than heat distortion.

But to answer your question, no, a better camera/lens isn't going to get rid of heat distortion...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
SamD
Senior Member
 
SamD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 254
Default

that photo looks severely over-processed. With out seeing the original, I can't tell how much the heat waves really are a factor.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Frederick
Senior Member
 
Frederick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hastings, Minnesota
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmonteX
A new reject reason for me - Heat Distortion.

My vision for this shot included heat wave distortion of the mountain, but I also got a lot of general heat distortion that affected the train, rails, etc.

I'm assuming that's the distortion that wasn't appreciated.

Is this a result of inferior equipment? Would I get the same results with say a 40D and a good lens?
A 40D with a good lens will take excellent quality photos, but heat distortion is unavoidable if you are using a telephoto lens on a hot day.
__________________
Railpics Photos

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,900
Default

It looks like there is more going on with that shot than heat distortion. At least, the heat distortion is obviously that coming out of the locos and obscurring the mountains. But the rest of the picture looks like over processing, as mentioned, or something else that I can't put my finger on. What kind of camera and lens are you using?


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
It looks like there is more going on with that shot than heat distortion. At least, the heat distortion is obviously that coming out of the locos and obscurring the mountains. But the rest of the picture looks like over processing, as mentioned, or something else that I can't put my finger on. What kind of camera and lens are you using?


Joe
Joe, you need to make a distinction between hot exhaust distortion, which one gets out the top of an engine when using a tele at any temperature, and heat distortion, which one gets when using a tele on any subject and the temperature is hot enough, especially if the heat is radiating from a hot surface such as sand or pavement.

The screener believes the overall problem here is due to the latter distortion.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
It looks like there is more going on with that shot than heat distortion.
Joe, you took the exact words out of my mouth. There is something wrong with that image far beyond normal heat distortion.

The shot was taken at 70mm which pretty much reduces typical heat wave distortion that's magnified by a large zoom. The front of that loco looks almost like a painting, not to mention the color just isn't right.

My guess is there is quite a bit of cropping going on with this image.

I'd like to see the original image as well.

Last edited by JimThias; 08-21-2007 at 03:21 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Frederick
Senior Member
 
Frederick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hastings, Minnesota
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
The shot was taken at 70mm which pretty much reduces typical heat wave distortion that's magnified by a large zoom.
Point and shoot cams have much smaller sensors than dSLR's, so they have a high field of view cropping factor.
__________________
Railpics Photos

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Point and shoot cams have much smaller sensors than dSLR's, so they have a high field of view cropping factor.
Good point. That's one thing I didn't notice in the EXIF data.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:45 AM   #10
DelmonteX
Senior Member
 
DelmonteX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 214
Default

Thanks for the information.

Here's the original, resized and compressed some.

I did work on it to lighten the nose, but as you can see the general heat distortion is very evident.

I see shots that appear to be taken with a long lens in areas that are certainly hotter than this day was (75 tops) and don't see this kind of distortion. Thus the question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060164_sml.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	2070  
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.