Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
lost bouy

Default "Back Lit" - Any help?

Finally got around to uploading this photo of NS 63N that I caught a couple of weeks ago. I canít understand how the photo is back lit because I was shooting into the sun. Anything I need to do or just scrap it?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=904776172

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost bouy View Post
I can’t understand how the photo is back lit because I was shooting into the sun.

Hi,

When we take photos, we do not shoot into the sun. We want to use the sun, and its light to our advantage, and have it light up the sides and nose of the train. In most cases, (Which means: In the case of a 3/4 wedge shot), we shoot with the sun to our back, and our shadow pointing at the train. We want the nose to be lit up, as well as the visible side of the train.

As far as the image, scrap it. No good, no way to fix it.

Edit: I don't think you understand what "backlit" is? Backlit, is when the nose of the engine is dark, but the train's side is lit up, or vice versa. Also, as demostrated here, nothing is lit up by the sun, which is also considered backlit. (This is different than an overcast shot, as on an overcast day, there is no light, period.) Just be on the side of the tracks that the sun is on, with your shadow pointing at the train, to ensure a lit nose.

Last edited by Soo 6060; 10-23-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
lost bouy

I know how to shoot a train. If you ever seen my videos you can see that I know not to shoot into the sun. I thought that the rays coming off the bridge would make a nice effect in the photo but I guess not.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Quote:
I canít understand how the photo is back lit because I was shooting into the sun
That would be the definition of back lit.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

...and why can't you apply that to your photographs?

Quote:
I know how to shoot a train. If you ever seen my videos you can see that I know not to shoot into the sun. I thought that the rays coming off the bridge would make a nice effect in the photo but I guess not.
Something tells me that Railpictures.net is not the place for you. Just my two cents.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060
Something tells me that Railpictures.net is not the place for you. Just my two cents.
Wow, he got one shot rejected, and RP might not be the place for him? I started out getting rejections, and I'm sure you did too. All it takes is some practice.

As for the shot, I see what you were trying to do, but it didn't quite work out. Sorry. Don't stop trying for RP though. Soon enough you will get it.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
mark woody

Not saying it should make it but it has merit i like the attempt, had a 5sec play and came up with this.

Last edited by mark woody; 05-15-2011 at 12:28 AM.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
rathman11

I applaud you for thinking outside the box, however, this one just did not work in your favor. The lighting affect did not turn out as you had hoped and the composition is sub par. Like Jake said, don't give up. Continue shooting, try new things, and as you do so reference back to RP and see what other contributors are doing. As you develop your photography skills the rejections will reduce in number and the gratification of accepted images will make the time spent in the field well worth it.

I would suggest ignoring what Daniel said altogether. For the time being, continue shooting with the sun to your back. Submit to RP and if you receive any rejections continue to post them on the forums. There is a great number of excellent photographers who contribute on a daily basis. Listen to their advice and apply it the next time you go out and shoot. When you master the basic skills of composition and lighting then move your skills to the next level where you can begin playing with different lighting and compositions.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
nikos1

While the image is about as wrong as it gets, (though might be a cool shot if you can ever get the sun low enough to light a train from that angle, which i suspect isnt possible), I think that Daniel has little room for snide remarks like that considering his past history under a different username....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
lost bouy

Thanks for the help, I heard about this lashup coming down the H Line and had to get some shots but the sun is horrible for Eastbounds late in the day. I thought the sun had a cool affect but looking at it again I guess not. I think it probably won’t get in any way with the cropping.

Also thank you for the positive feedback, I have quite a few other shoots with the sun at my back. I am pretty new to this whole railroad photography thing, for about 5 years all the photos I shot were for information in my videos like the locomotive numbers and so on, thanks again.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
I think that Daniel has little room for snide remarks like that considering his past history under a different username....
No joke, Nikos.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Water over the dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
No joke, Nikos.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
crazytiger

Sure, but you must remember to respect people that are in a similar situation to where you were.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
OK if you knew how to shoot a train, you wouldn't have even thought about submitting this to RP. Go look at some of the images in the database and try to gain some knowledge. Then maybe try to submit another in a year or two.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
If you ever seen my videos you can see that I know not to shoot into the sun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZyuR2oK7U

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but post this.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
coborn35

Coming from someone who recrops pics of the same train in the spot and submits them...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Finally got around to uploading this photo of NS 63N that I caught a couple of weeks ago. I can’t understand how the photo is back lit because I was shooting into the sun. Anything I need to do or just scrap it?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=904776172

Thanks for the help!
Backlit, as explained by others is when you're shooting into the sun, rather than shooting with the sun behind your back. With the exception of early morning/late evening photos, RP does not generally accept backlit photos, unless the photo is dramatic. In this case, I don't find the lighting, nor the composition dramatic, but I applaud you for trying something "different".

Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post

Hi,

When we take photos, we do not shoot into the sun. We want to use the sun, and its light to our advantage, and have it light up the sides and nose of the train. In most cases, (Which means: In the case of a 3/4 wedge shot), we shoot with the sun to our back, and our shadow pointing at the train. We want the nose to be lit up, as well as the visible side of the train.

As far as the image, scrap it. No good, no way to fix it.

Edit: I don't think you understand what "backlit" is? Backlit, is when the nose of the engine is dark, but the train's side is lit up, or vice versa. Also, as demostrated here, nothing is lit up by the sun, which is also considered backlit. (This is different than an overcast shot, as on an overcast day, there is no light, period.) Just be on the side of the tracks that the sun is on, with your shadow pointing at the train, to ensure a lit nose.
Quote:
...and why can't you apply that to your photographs?

Talk about a good laugh.. What an ego! So your handful of wedgies you have in the DB warrant you the right to tell a beginner what to do in a pissy tone? Discouraging him from submitting to RP just because he is a little confused about lighting? When did you become a pro?

You're too stupid to contribute your opinion, so quit posting until you have the ability to post something beneficial to the forum.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
lost bouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrakdavis22 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZyuR2oK7U

I'm sorry but I couldn't help but post this.
First of all, the only reason I uploaded that one was due to the 2 SD40-2s trailing. Something rarely seen on CSXís A Line and I couldnít cross the tracks and shoot from the other side without trespassing.

How about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fcrR3f4TdM
Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I think you'd really have prob had to have the train coming the other direction.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #20
jnohallman

Quote:
OK if you knew how to shoot a train, you wouldn't have even thought about submitting this to RP. Go look at some of the images in the database and try to gain some knowledge.
No, sorry. That should be "If you knew how to shoot a train the way RP.net wants you to shoot a train to meet the specific rules they've set for inclusion on their website, you wouldn't have . . . ." I know it's been said in response to other posts in this forum as well, but it bears repeating here. Shoot pictures for yourself, not for RP. Take backlit shots if you like the way they look. Don't stay home just because it's cloudy - there's nothing wrong with taking pictures on a cloudy day. Now, before you decide to submit a shot to RP, consider whether it fits what they want, and if it doesn't, save yourself the rejection. But don't limit your photography to RP.net rules.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
OK if you knew how to shoot a train, you wouldn't have even thought about submitting this to RP. Go look at some of the images in the database and try to gain some knowledge. Then maybe try to submit another in a year or two.
^^^This is what I was trying to say, stated in a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
You're too stupid to contribute your opinion, so quit posting until you have the ability to post something beneficial to the forum.Chase
^^^ I agree, honestly. Maybe, I wouldn't have called myself stupid, but I now realize how my words, especially when in writing, can come back to me.

Let's not go on anymore about this..
Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
Joe the Photog

Quote:
I thought that the rays coming off the bridge would make a nice effect in the photo...
I kinda agree with this. I wish you had shot it in landscape. I think there were some possibilities with this shot regardless of whether it would ever make RP or not, maybe in B&W.

I've only read the first three posts of this thread. I wonder how *interesting* the rest of the thread is.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #23
Joe the Photog

In hindsight, a vertical shot probably was wise with the sun rays, but the train needed to be closer.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
So says the guy who has 28 photos accepted, of which 11 are at the exact same location, same angle and another 4 or 5 identical ones from another location (Hello screeners )

I dont understand how some get rejections for uncorrected uploads or similar to previous, yet some people seem to get shot after identical shot on...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #25
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
You're too stupid to contribute your opinion, so quit posting until you have the ability to post something beneficial to the forum.

Chase
You know, while I agree with you in sentiment, that's really quite a bad way to say it. Remember how long ago it was that you were even more inexperienced as he was? His remarks were out of place for his, er, 'credentials', but you went a little overboard there. I do give him credit for handling it so well and admitting that he spoke beyond his experience.

Why are so many threads lately so funny to watch?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back lit, photo