Old 06-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
transit383

Default How Many Times Has This Happened to You?

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 238595
Photograph © Gerald Oliveto

The usual morning rush hour at Perth Amboy is a parade of NJ Transit commuter trains shuttling across the bridge. Conrail's trains use the bridge at various times, but never during the morning rush hour. Two weeks ago, I was thrilled to see the freight train entering onto the bridge. It was creeping along and I set up my shot on the shore, but in the distance I heard an NJT train heading east. Sure enough, a train of Multi Level coaches, enters onto the bridge on the track that is going to block my shot. The NJT train was moving at a pretty good rate too and I thought for sure he would block my shot of the freight. I managed to get the above shot (and about five seconds later the NJT train was on the shoreline). Part of the thrill of railfanning, I guess!

How many times have you set up a shot in the perfect light only to have another train block it?

Last edited by transit383; 06-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.
transit383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Rui Nunes

Send a message via MSN to Rui Nunes

Trains overtaking other trains are a rare thing in this patch of land, but having great shots ruined, has already happened several times.

I also do bus spotting, and I've lost count of how many times I had a great angle of a bus passing by and then some dumb person sticks her head in front of the lens or some car gets in front of the bus, thus ruining the shot

It'a all part of photography I guess
- It doesn't make sense to speak seriously to someone who is joking. On the other hand, if you were joking I wouldn't take you seriously. It's a complicated situation, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rui_gv_nunes/
Rui Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
alan-crotty

Default Has this ever happened to you.. a close shave!

Hi,

With a closing speed of 150 mph this was close!

As I saw the steamer approaching I could hear the electric behind me, I thought to my self, that had better only be a four car unit, it was and I got the shot with about a 2 second gap.

Image © Alan John Crotty
PhotoID: 148844
Photograph © Alan John Crotty

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 191155
Photograph © Kevin Ashbaugh

This shot is the opposite. I wanted to get Amtrak rounding Horseshoe. NS 26T was already creeping down the hill and what do I see between the cars? Crap! Amtrak grey. I must have looked like a mad man sprinting around the curve toward Altoona hoping the Pennsylvanian would win the race.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Arne H. B.

I can't recall that happening to me, but I remember on youtube somebody posted a video that was trying to shoot the SP Daylight 4449 on a special run and the SP oil can train passed and completely blocked out the special train as it went by. I can't seem to find it now, but if that were me, I would've been a little steamed!
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I hate crossing trains with an absolute passion. On single line sections in Queensland, you can often get two trains entering opposite ends of the crossing loop simultaneously. Nine times out of ten the train coming from behind you moves slightly faster than the train coming toward you. This results in a sunny, going away shot.

The other example I have is pretty much the same as the original poster. You're all set up to take a sunny shot of a train (freight or passenger) and along comes a CityTrain.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
TAMR159

Image © Nick Wilson
PhotoID: 230464
Photograph © Nick Wilson

It'd be a bit more dramatic on opposite tracks, but never-the-less...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
nikos1

This summer i was waiting for my train in Tonbridge, UK. Across the platform i see of all things the Orient Express of all things pulling in behind a Class 67! Then suddenly on my track i notice that my EMU to wherever i was going was also arriving. The EMU beat the Orient Express to the platform so i have a bunch of less than satisfactory shots that i will dig up in a bit.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
transit383

Almost had another near miss yesterday!

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 241496
Photograph © Gerald Oliveto

I was waiting to get a shot of the westbound train with the GP40FH-2 pushing, since there are only four left in service on NJ Transit. He was running a few minutes behind schedule when I heard the horns of an eastbound in the distance. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be nice if I got a shot of both trains passing right here...". Sure enough, the westbound appeared at the same time as the eastbound and the above shot was the result. I couldn't duplicate that scene if I tried!