Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
AmericanAirFan

Default News Story "Man using GPS drives into path of train"

I don't usually post in here though I am a daily visitor for the nice photos I love it here. I thought this was a news item worth sharing.

Quote:
BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. - A Global Positioning System can tell a driver a lot of things but apparently not when a train is coming.

A computer consultant driving a rental car drove onto train tracks Wednesday using the instructions his GPS unit gave him. A train was barreling toward him, but he escaped in time and no one was injured.

The driver had turned right, as the system advised, and the car somehow got stuck on the tracks at the crossing. He jumped out and tried to warn the engineer by waving. He got out of the way just before the train slammed into the car at 60 mph, Metro-North railroad spokesman Dan Brucker said Thursday.The car was pushed more than 100 feet during the fiery crash.

Some 500 train passengers were stranded for more than two hours during the Wednesday evening rush hour. The accident also heavily damaged 250 feet of rail, Brucker said.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22493399/

It amazes me how oblivious and ignorant some people can be to their surroundings let alone a train but it sounds like he was paying enough attention at least to know he got stuck on the tracks

-AmericanAirFan
AmericanAirFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAirFan

It amazes me how oblivious and ignorant some people can be to their surroundings let alone a train but it sounds like he was paying enough attention at least to know he got stuck on the tracks

-AmericanAirFan
Any man who gets stuck on railroad tracks because his navigation system "advised him" needs to have his mancard revoked.

I also like how it says "somehow got stuck." Gee, I WONDER how.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50

He got stuck on the tracks AT THE CROSSING. What in this article makes you people think he was at fault?

I have seen many drivers get stuck in flangeways built up with ice in a front wheel drive car. It is very easy to do.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Ween

It's like that episode of The Office where Steve Carell's character drove into a lake because his GPS told him to turn right...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50
What in this article makes you people think he was at fault?
You're kidding, right? He was at fault the moment he started letting a navigation system tell him where to go without paying attention exactly WHERE he was driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
It's like that episode of The Office where Steve Carell's character drove into a lake because his GPS told him to turn right...
Exactly. All it takes is just a little common sense...
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Burner50

Read the article again. He got stuck AT the crossing. The fact that he was using GPS has nothing to do with this except to ridicule him and make him look stupid.

Read it again Specifically the part where "the car somehow got stuck on the tracks at the crossing."

I have watched foamers do dumber things all the time. This guy was simply unlucky IMO
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
JRMDC

The article isn't perfectly clear. Perhaps the GPS told him to turn right at the crossing, off of the pavement. Perhaps the GPS database miscoded a track as a road.

Or perhaps the driver took an instruction that was applicable in 50 yards and executed it immediately. Or ...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

More likely the article was made by some college intern who thought it would be entertaining to play on the GPS issue.

I find it funny that we as railfans can nitpick the crap out of a reporter who mispells something like railroad, or grammatical errors over the type of train or whatever else.

But we can't seem to give the same benefit of the doubt to a reporter who probably didn't have all the facts, but had a deadline to meet.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
WembYard

We have already had this over here in the UK Link . The other issue we have with GPS is large trucks getting stuck down narrow country roads after they have been directed that way by their Sat Nav.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Carl Becker

FWIW, my dad heard this story on a radio station in Kansas, and they apparantly said that he turned down the tracks because the GPS told him to. Why both of those things happened is a mystery...

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Read the article again. He got stuck AT the crossing. The fact that he was using GPS has nothing to do with this except to ridicule him and make him look stupid.

Read it again Specifically the part where "the car somehow got stuck on the tracks at the crossing."

I have watched foamers do dumber things all the time. This guy was simply unlucky IMO
I don't need to read the article again. The guy is an idiot for obeying his GPS when it told him to turn down the tracks...and "SOMEHOW" got stuck. Common sense is all it takes. Unlucky? Not likely.

Sorry, I have NO sympathy for people who get into such situations when they rely on a computer to get them from point A to point B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
FWIW, my dad heard this story on a radio station in Kansas, and they apparantly said that he turned down the tracks because the GPS told him to. Why both of those things happened is a mystery...

~Carl Becker
The system obviously has its flaws, and this isn't the first time I've heard/read about something like this.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Burner50

Yes I think you do need to read the quoted article again. I does not say he turned DOWN the tracks. He turned and got stuck AT A CROSSING
Old 01-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
Ween

Quote:
Yes I think you do need to read the quoted article again. I does not say he turned DOWN the tracks. He turned and got stuck AT A CROSSING
Uh oh, Burner...looks like your theory is incorrect:
http://www.themoneytimes.com/news/20...d-1015306.html

Quote:
Bo Bai from Sunnyvale, Calif., said the on-board global positioning satellite navigation system in his rental car "told" him to turn right as he traveled over a rail crossing and found himself facing an oncoming train, the White Plains (N.Y.) Journal News reported Friday.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
Ween

And there's more...

Quote:
A bloke claimed his GPS system sent him down the train tracks and into the path of an on-coming train.

When his GPS told him to turn right Bo Bai did so. Apparently mistaking the tracks for tarmac.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...rs-techie-path
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Uh oh, Burner...looks like your theory is incorrect:

Yes, I am a heartless bastard when it comes to people auditioning for a Darwin Award. A little common sense, people!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #16
AmericanAirFan

Quote:
that sounds like the equivalent of that nationwide commercial. "Turn right *errrrrrrrr crashhh* in two... point. five.. miles"
AmericanAirFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #17
Burner50

Okay I can admint I was wrong, but you have to admit that based on the original article there is nothingin there that says he turned down the tracks and that you jumped to conclusions.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 AM   #18
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I hate to shoot you down again Burner, and I apologize, but the title of the article is "Man using GPS drives into path of train." That would imply that he turned toward the train somehow, or down the tracks.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #19
Burner50

well really if you wanna play semantics, then almost every time you cross the any railroad tracks you are driving into the path of an oncoming train. Nothing in the Originally quoted article states that he had driven off of a road onto railroad tracks, only that he got stuck at a crossing.

I'm not defending the guy just pointing out that you people were jumping to conclusions.

Yes he is an idiot for not being aware of his surroundings and that should be a reason to have a drivers license revoked.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:

Yes he is an idiot for not being aware of his surroundings and that should be a reason to have a drivers license revoked.
Now you're talkin'.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #21
Ween

Quote:
just pointing out that you people were jumping to conclusions.
Yeah, but the correct conclusion!

BTW, you made your conclusion based on only one source...kinda like understanding the world by only what you see on CNN*...

*or Fox News...point being only one source of info...

Last edited by Ween; 01-07-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Burner50

lol... nope I didnt research it at all, just went off the quoted article