Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default Composition/Balance Rejection???

I submitted this photo, after carefully cropping out empty foreground elements, and it got slugged with that ever-misleading "balance" rejection. Please explain what might be done to improve it. Of all the rejection reasons, that is the one that is most vague/unclear to me. All comments/suggestions/ criticisms much appreciated!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=400492&key=0
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
Mike B.
Banned

It is unbalanced. There is nothing to look at in the middle of the photo, just the sides.
Plus, one person is in focus while the others are blurred. I don't think that works very well.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
It is unbalanced. There is nothing to look at in the middle of the photo, just the sides.
Plus, one person is in focus while the others are blurred. I don't think that works very well.
Ditto.

The only thing worse then the subject in the center of an image is nothing in the center the picture.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 08-01-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!! I am still learning!! While I am at it, I have another one here,rejected for "bad angle," which I am in disagreement with--being that I have submitted, and had accepted, similar shots in the past. What do you suggest here?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=400512&key=0
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Mgoldman

"...subject, uninteresting angles on roster shots, and images...."

Seems clear on the reasoning as listed.

When you took this shot and first saw it on the screen - were you thinking to yourself "Wow, I've out done myself on this one" - if so, I suggest you head to the Borders and pick up a few photography books. If not, why post?

Not trying to come off harsh, honestly.

The one acceptable answer (IMHO) would be that you simply thought it would be a nice addition to the roster database for modeling purposes.

Either that, or you like highway bridges. ; )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
JRMDC

Well. this situation is a bit muddled. Mitch is right if it were locomotives. For a train, you can do more of head on shot, with the train trailing behind. That's a wedgie. For just engines, too much is hidden and yet it's not a head on shot. But this is transit, and while you have the entire train trailing behind, it's too short to qualify for wedgie status, so it becomes the equivalent of a bad angle on a roster shot.

So Mitch is still right.

As for his harsh criticism, well, it's too harsh for my tastes so let's put it in a more positive perspective. You have 67 shots here, and looking at the most recent 15, lots of repetition. You have mastered those shots. Mitch is suggesting you move on, as you have with the attempt at the station/passenger car shot. You certainly do not have to; there are at least two photographers here with views over a half million that do the same thing over and over. But let me not put any more words into Mitch's mouth, and maybe take these back and relabel them properly as my own.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
a231pacific

Bill, When you posted your first shot as a thumbnail I thought cropping the bottom might help, and it did, but the shot is unbalanced. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it, since the passenger cars are poorly lit and much smaller than the well lit depot. You might recast this as a depot shot, cut the train out altogether. I like the MoPac logo on the end of the building.

For balance, think of an imaginary fulcrum placed under the center of your photo on the bottom edge. Would the picture tip one way or the other? If the elements on each side of the middle have equal "weight" it's in balance. "Weight" doesn't mean size, it can mean size, relative interest, or what ever. It's subjective but you know a balanced or unbalanced shot when you see one.

On your transit shot, if you can crop the top to eliminate the piece of red truck, while still keeping the pantograph, it will be a better shot. Still a wedgie, but a better wedgie.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!! You learn something new every day!!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Ween

Quote:
You certainly do not have to; there are at least two photographers here with views over a half million that do the same thing over and over.
I thought for a sec I was one of the two, but I have less than 300k views! Repetition is fine when it's done right. Look at AC/DC. 30 years of putting out the same album, yet they never get old...
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Look at AC/DC. 30 years of putting out the same album, yet they never get old...
Hmm...that explains some things.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I thought for a sec I was one of the two,
You max out on the possible diversity in the flat expanses!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #12
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
You max out on the possible diversity in the flat expanses!
I'm getting burned out on the flatness. I think I'm gonna start Photoshopping mountains in just to see if anyone's paying attention...
Old 08-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #13
SamD

get a train on the near track and crop for that, and you've got yourself a winner.

Also, a shot of just the mopac plaque, either in the day or night, might be worth submitting.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote